Sign in to follow this  
volshayes

Sumner County Offices on Belvedere Dr in Gallatin No Longer Posted

I went to the Sumner County Building on Belvedere Dr in Gallatin today and the building is no longer posted.  Last time I was there, it was clearly posted on all main entrance doors.  As far as I know, there are no judicial proceedings that take place in that building, which would prohibit carrying firearms in the building.  I believe they are all done in the County Courthouse on the Square in Gallatin.  If anyone knows the story behind the change, please inform us.

Some of the county's personnel are widely unpopular. I'm surprised that there has not been an incident. Ask Anthony Holt 

That is where I go get my license plates every year and i have never carried in the building because I walk past that 1 court room that never has anything going on in it but never bothered looking for signs. Just took it as Government building, no carry!!!  Have no clue why the change????

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

That is where I go get my license plates every year and i have never carried in the building because I walk past that 1 court room that never has anything going on in it but never bothered looking for signs. Just took it as Government building, no carry!!!  Have no clue why the change????

Didn't know there was a court room in there.  You're right - that's what they would use a "gotcha" because of 39-17-1306.

39-17-1306. Carrying weapons during judicial proceedings.

(a)  No person shall intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carry on or about the person while inside any building in which judicial proceedings are in progress any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), for the purpose of going armed; provided, that if the weapon carried is a firearm, the person is in violation of this section regardless of whether the weapon is carried for the purpose of going armed.

If they ever had any proceedings in that room, and someone walked in the building armed, they could get them on that section of the code.

State and Local Government buildings are suppose to be posted if they do not want to allow carry in the building.  That's why all of the State Buildings are posted.  The only exceptions I know of in the Tennessee Code where no carry is allowed, and where no posting is required, is in 39-17-1306 (Judicial Proceedings) and 39-17-1309 (Schools) and 39-17-1311 (Government Buildings Used for Recreational Purposes).  Other than those exceptions State and Local Government are suppose to be posted if they do not want carry.

I won't carry in Gallatin anyway because the day I did it, they would be having court in that one room. 

2 hours ago, volshayes said:

Didn't know there was a court room in there.  You're right - that's what they would use a "gotcha" because of 39-17-1306.

(a)  No person shall intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carry on or about the person while inside any building in which judicial proceedings are in progress any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), for the purpose of going armed; provided, that if the weapon carried is a firearm, the person is in violation of this section regardless of whether the weapon is carried for the purpose of going armed.

If they ever had any proceedings in that room, and someone walked in the building armed, they could get them on that section of the code.

I've always thought if tested in court, a conventional firearm is not covered by the statute, since it is only prohibiting:

"(1)  An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2)  A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3)  A machine gun;

(4)  A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5)  [Deleted by 2017 amendment.]

(6)  Hoax device;

(7)  Knuckles; or

(8)  Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose"

- OS

19 hours ago, volshayes said:

State and Local Government buildings are suppose to be posted if they do not want to allow carry in the building.  That's why all of the State Buildings are posted.  The only exceptions I know of in the Tennessee Code where no carry is allowed, and where no posting is required, is in 39-17-1306 (Judicial Proceedings) and 39-17-1309 (Schools) and 39-17-1311 (Government Buildings Used for Recreational Purposes).  Other than those exceptions State and Local Government are suppose to be posted if they do not want carry.

I won't carry in Gallatin anyway because the day I did it, they would be having court in that one room. 

Yea, I go through the side entrance to go buy my tags and I pass by a court room every time i go in there. It never has lights on or anyone is in it but I figure the day I do make that mistake and do carry in the building they will be holding court.  I will just continue doing as I have for the past 19 years...............JMHO

I've always thought if tested in court, a conventional firearm is not covered by the statute, since it is only prohibiting:
"(1)  An explosive or an explosive weapon;
(2)  A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;
(3)  A machine gun;
(4)  A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;
(5)  [Deleted by 2017 amendment.]
(6)  Hoax device;
(7)  Knuckles; or
(8)  Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose"

- OS
The problem with all of these laws is we have to look at them wondering until they are "tested in court". No one wants to be that person.

My countys (Madison) take on this is it covers handguns, I don't read it that way. Also violation of this statute is a felony.

As far I as I know there are no court rooms in that building. i have been to almost every court in Sumner. You are probably seeing the county commissioners chambers. I believe it probably had to do with the law for gov buildings to prohibit carry it must have metal detectors and security or a LE office in it.