Greetings from Occupied California

Hello Everyone,

i recently jumped on this board while in Nashville on business to make a quick connection in the local gun community, and everyone is so friendly I thought I’d stick around a bit, if you’ll have me.

As you can see, I live in California, affectionatly known as the People’s Republic of California or PRC for short.  I live in the best part though, Nor Cal’s beautiful Central Valley, a largely conservative part of the state.  There are like 10 million solid patriotic Americans in CA, only outnumbered 2 to 1 by the Spawn of Bolsheviks, but we’re gettin’ by.

Im a CCW holder, and my shooting hobbies have included long range tactical rifle matches(200-1000yd), dabbled in national match rifle and some random pistol comps, but then I had kids and started traveling heavily for business so now I’m in skills maintenance mode (read: I don’t shoot as often as I used to).

Since a huge slice of my work involves the South, and all the guys who work for me are are in the Eastern Time Zone, as well as most customers, I’m working on getting a move out there paid for by the company.  TN is my favorite state, we have an office in Oak Ridge so I have spent most of my time there or around Chattanooga, and we have some family in Atoka/outer Shelby county, so hopefully that will work out sometime.  

Anyway, sorry for the exhaustive intro, nice to meet you.

M.

• Like 1

I offer you my official welcome to TGO. You got a good start by finding us so quickly. You'll find many helpful people, with lots of knowledge available here. I don't include myself in the latter group. I'm more of a point and pull the trigger sort of guy.

Looking forward to having you here. Although your qualifications sure put me at a disadvantage. lol

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, hipower said:

I offer you my official welcome to TGO. You got a good start by finding us so quickly. You'll find many helpful people, with lots of knowledge available here. I don't include myself in the latter group. I'm more of a point and pull the trigger sort of guy.

Looking forward to having you here. Although your qualifications sure put me at a disadvantage. lol

Don't cut yourself short HP!!! I'm guessing he still puts his pants on one leg at a time...........JMHO

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I do to soon as my doctor will turn me loose so I can go back to the range and burn some powder.

Yeah, I've sold a few things and bought a few newer for me. Always wanted the Smith 351PD. Finally found one I'd be willing to pay for. Bought it for me, but I think it may become my wife's house gun.

22Magnum, Scandium frame; so it's small enough and light enough she can handle it. And I feel better with it than the 416 in 22LR.

I just need to swap out the Crimson Trace grips and sight it in for her.

3 minutes ago, hipower said:

Yeah, I've sold a few things and bought a few newer for me. Always wanted the Smith 351PD. Finally found one I'd be willing to pay for. Bought it for me, but I think it may become my wife's house gun.

22Magnum, Scandium frame; so it's small enough and light enough she can handle it. And I feel better with it than the 416 in 22LR.

I just need to swap out the Crimson Trace grips and sight it in for her.

I have not been buying anything new recently and still have my Bersas but need to just burn some powder through them and then take them down and clean them. Have not been  since I lost my shooting buddy BT last February and have not been in the mood to go but another buddy of mine said he would like to burn some powder so when Doc turns me loose we are going.

That's good. You need to follow his orders, but at some point we all have to get out of the house. It becomes so closed in for me that I just have to get away.

However, while driving the wife to work and then picking her up every day for the past month has been a time consuming job. Fighting traffic in and out of downtown Nashville is not my favorite thing to do. It usually occupies 3-4 hours every day. That and the weather, and my hopefully gone respiratory issues, have kept me very close to home these days.

I hope to start out next week with a few things I've been waiting to do.

The thought of Nasville Traffic is one of the headaches I will be facing with the followup visits to my doctor. He is located at 24th and Patterson at Centenial Doctors Pavilion next to the hospital and parking in a total nightmare. I would just use Valet Parking but don't have no clue how much it costs.?????

23 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

The thought of Nasville Traffic is one of the headaches I will be facing with the followup visits to my doctor. He is located at 24th and Patterson at Centenial Doctors Pavilion next to the hospital and parking in a total nightmare. I would just use Valet Parking but don't have no clue how much it costs.?????

I usually just give them a couple of bucks. If the weather is really bad. like freezing rain and snow, maybe a bit more. 

Edited by hipower
21 hours ago, hipower said:

I usually just give them a couple of bucks. If the weather is really bad. like freezing rain and snow, maybe a bit more. 

I've never used them before so don't know what is a good figure to give them. I know they stay very busy there. I stood there watching them work while waiting for my daughter to get parked and it took her about 10 minutes to find a space and another 10 to walk to where I was at waiting for her and those young men parking cars never slowed down and the longer I waited the longer the line of cars got for them to park them. I just don't think I am up to doing all the looking for a parking place and then maybe having to walk a mile + just to get to the doctors office. As far as bad weather like freezing rain or Snow. The doctor won't be seeing me that day!!!!

56 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I've never used them before so don't know what is a good figure to give them. I know they stay very busy there. I stood there watching them work while waiting for my daughter to get parked and it took her about 10 minutes to find a space and another 10 to walk to where I was at waiting for her and those young men parking cars never slowed down and the longer I waited the longer the line of cars got for them to park them. I just don't think I am up to doing all the looking for a parking place and then maybe having to walk a mile + just to get to the doctors office. As far as bad weather like freezing rain or Snow. The doctor won't be seeing me that day!!!!

Ask some others here, but as I said, 2-3 is what I normally give them. So does my wife. 

2 minutes ago, hipower said:

Ask some others here, but as I said, 2-3 is what I normally give them. So does my wife. 

I just spoke with the Doctors nurse to confirm my appointment and while I had her on the phone I asked he about the charge for Valet parking and she said it is free and the valets are paid by the hospital so I guess it is a tip thing like you said. Pretty much like a waitress in a resturant. I will make sure I have tip bills with me when I go cause I think it will be much easier on me than the alternative.................JMHO

3 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I just spoke with the Doctors nurse to confirm my appointment and while I had her on the phone I asked he about the charge for Valet parking and she said it is free and the valets are paid by the hospital so I guess it is a tip thing like you said. Pretty much like a waitress in a resturant. I will make sure I have tip bills with me when I go cause I think it will be much easier on me than the alternative.................JMHO

I started a thread on valet tipping just now. I'm curious to see how others do.

For me, it depends on the location as whether I'll use the valet service. Downtown areas like Centennial where traffic is crazy, or when raining, or I can't or just don't want to walk, I'll do it.

Skyline Medical, where most of my visits are, that's where I have to debate with myself on it. Rarely find a parking space within 100 yards of the entrance. And since the facility sits on the hill, it can get really windy up there. So cold or rainy days I'll use the service. When I've been restricted in movement, or sick and afraid of the weather for a long walk, I'll use them.

If it's a nice sunny day...this old butt is walking and saving a couple bucks for ammo.

Again, JMO.

• Like 1

Thanks  HP for all the great advice on the parking issue and Valet uses. As I have gotten older I don't enjoy walking as much as I use to for more than about 50 feet so that was my main reason for asking. Back in 1978 when that truck pinned me between it and a wall it fractured both of my Pelvis's along with about 60% of the other bones in my body the doctor told me back then that I would heal fine because I was young at age 30 but I would remember that truck with every step at age 50. Well, the doctor missed it by about 5 years. It was 55 years old when I began to remember that truck and now at age 70 I feel it every time I stand up so I have a couple choices the way I see it. I can lay around and let it whip me by feeling sorry for myself or I can grit my teeth and get up and go. Normally I grit my teeth and deal with it but with just having a triple by-pass I think I will let the Valet park my old jeep for me this time.......:clap:

Next time you're in Shelby County, give me a notice and maybe we can get together.  Atoka is not too far from me, and the pastor of a Baptist church there is sort of a friend of mine, and is a gunnie, too.

Welcome to this forum.  Spent 18 months in California many, many years ago at Camp Roberts near Paso Robles.

Bob Wright