LEOSA Carry

Defender

Anyone recently get LEOSA carry for retired LEOs?  The State of Tennessee,  while not not honoring this, seems to discourage this, in my experience.  A while back when I inquired about this they tried to get me to go a different route that wouldn't be honored nationwide, only in TN, but it was cheaper and lasted longer, if I recall.  Any comments?

This is just a guess. The option that covers you for this state only does not meet the requirements of Federal law because it only requires you to qualify every four years instead of the Federal requirement of every year. I don’t know why that option would be any different than an HCP.

Here is some information that may help you…

18 U.S. Code § 926B - Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926B

18 U.S. Code § 926C - Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C

TN Info on LEOSA

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/commerce/documents/post/forms/Renewal_LEOSA_fillable_packet.pdf

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/commerce/documents/post/forms/Fillable_LEOSA_initial_packet.pdf

If you are using military service as a qualifier (for the Feds)

http://www.leosaonline.com/

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1

Thanks, DaveTN!  Do you how the "list of firearms qualified on" works?  Some of my friends in other, more LEOSA friendly states, interpret that to mean pistol;, i.e. my dept uses the Beretta 9mm 92, but in those states I'm talking about, any semiauto is ok as long as you qualify on a semi auto pistol, and you dont have to only carry the one you qualify on.  What does TN say?

Edited by Defender
  • 8 months later...

I am a retired federal officer and after I retired I found a firearms instructor you did the qual and far as the shooting requirement which cost $50, that was so easy that a 10 year old could pass the qual.  After that I had to go to Idenigo and get finger printed which cost $32 and because I wanted a nation wide permit I had to pay another $10.  I figured that was it for life except for maybe the shooting qual.  I just now found out that to maintain the nation wide qual I have to repeat the whole process every year.  Are you kidding me!  I have to get finger printed every year?  What a bunch of junk.  If I wanted the right to carry in the state of TN only I would have to only complete the process every four years.  Being a retired law enforcement officer I can't believe this whole process. My bud as a Tenn permit holder has a lifetime permit which mean he never has to requalify on shooting or do another background check.  I called the state office just to verify the process because it makes no sense.  I told the supervisor from the state that I think I'll take my chance on just shooting every year.  As a retired LEO it makes no sense that I have to jump through hoops every year when normal citizens don't have the same process. 

• Like 1

yep...thats my experience also.  I'm positive that the intent of  LEOSA is being interfered with by Tennessee for some reason.  I could tell when i spoke with the guy at the State who handled this, they flat out discouraged folks form doing the Nationally certified one.The guy also said, well you should just get a HCP,   thats what most retired LEOs here do.  Heck, they weren't even fond of the State only one, but maybe slightly less against this one.  Ive got friends in many other states that retired from the same agency I did, and almost all of them dont have to jump through all of these hoops. 

4 hours ago, moosergs said:

.... My bud as a Tenn permit holder has a lifetime permit which mean he never has to requalify on shooting or do another background check. ....

You never have to requalify on shooting whether you have a normal 8 year HCP or a lifetime one. However, background checks are run every 4 years on all permit holders, but requires no effort on the permit holders part.

- OS

• Like 1