Recommend a handgun and a carry holster for a newbie

1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

As for the 686 or the GP100, I can't handle either pistol well because I have small hands. Her hands are smaller than mine. 

My wife can't grip and reach the trigger on my 686, and her hand strength doesn't allow her to steadily work the trigger on a snub revolver. This is why my wife picked out and choose a S&W EZ .380. It works for her. Hopefully this lady can find a handgun that fits her and she can safely manipulate.

I applaud you for helping her! 👍

I also don't recommend a rifle.  Rifle bullets tend to go through walls which can lead to all sorts of  problems. Plus, I doubt the lady would go through the training. If you feel the need for a home defense weapon, I suggest a 20 gauge shotgun. Considering your description of her, I'd be looking at youth models. 

I only see a need for one handgun which can serve both in the home and EDC. Normally, I recommend a DA revolver for a newbie. However, a medium frame gun will likely be too heavy for her to EDC and she won't carry it. OTOH, the small revolvers such as the S&W J-frames often have too much recoil for women and they won't practice with it. However, I would suggest she at least try both. I believe in keeping things simple and a revolver is about as simple as it gets. If she likes it and can shoot it, go with that. 

As far as semi-autos go, again keep it simple. As few controls as possible. No external safeties to forget. Just point and pull the trigger. I do have some concern about her thumb issues you mentioned. Can she load a magazine? Can she rack a slide? 

I like the idea of the S&W EZ. The 380 is a good choice for a small woman. However, be aware that most .380s are blowback designs and they have very strong recoil springs which make racking the slide difficult. Therefore, I'm gonna suggest one of the compact 9mms which are available today. A locked breach design is much easier to rack. 

But first and foremost, let her try as many guns as possible and let HER make the choice. 

I also like the idea of a belly band. Its best to have the gun on your body where its immediately available. And considering her style of dress, that'll work just fine. I've never liked the idea of carrying in a purse. After all, that's what the BG is after anyway. 

Nothing hard at all about the 380 EZ, almost anyone can load the mag and manipulate the slide.  Once loaded, flip the safety and fire away.  Cap of 10 + 1.  All bullets will penetrate walls, 9mm as much as a .223.  If proficient with the EZ, may not need much else.  If I had to look at a long gun, would be an inexpensive Valdiz at Academy.  20ga holds 5 +1, easy to practice with field loads; slugs and 000 buck readily available.  However, this is a heavier gun, awkward to use in CQ and heavy loads may be a little much even in the 20 ga.  Not a fan of revolvers for most women of little experience.

• Like 2

If a S&W 380ez isn’t an option for some reason, you might want to consider a Beretta Tomcat .32acp. Comes with a tip up barrel, for easy loading. Of course if funds are unlimited, the Beretta made the 86, which also had a tip up barrel, but they are expensive. The one on Gunbroker is $1100+.

i really like the idea of a 20gauge semi. It’s something she might have shot as a child and is familiar with. A youth model would do the trick. Just cut the barrel back to about 20”.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 2
On 2/11/2018 at 11:48 AM, jgradyc said:

What handgun would you suggest and what carry method would you recommend? 

Browning makes a scaled-down 1911 type in .380 with a longish barrel. I'm not particularly a fan of that caliber or style for self defense, but it might be worth considering given these constraints. On-body carry is the way to go, in whatever style works best for her day-to-day and is safe d accessible.

Someone mentioned a YouTube channel. There used to be one called Falia Photography or something similar. If those are still available, they're worth watching (for everyone, not just women).

• Like 1
  • Moderators
11 hours ago, TomInMN said:

Browning makes a scaled-down 1911 type in .380 with a longish barrel. I'm not particularly a fan of that caliber or style for self defense, but it might be worth considering given these constraints. On-body carry is the way to go, in whatever style works best for her day-to-day and is safe d accessible.

Someone mentioned a YouTube channel. There used to be one called Falia Photography or something similar. If those are still available, they're worth watching (for everyone, not just women).

I always really dug her channel. Don’t know where she went, but wished she still made videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I always really dug her channel. Don’t know where she went, but wished she still made videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography

That’s who I was referring to on page 1. You younger guys can still remember stuff. Looks like she dropped out of public view a few years ago, but some women might still be interested in those holster reviews. Here is a link to her website that gives a list of the holster reviews.

http://www.faliaphotography.com/p/photos-of-my-van.html

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

For my sweetie, a long trigger reach is the issue. 

She mostly prefers her Colt Trooper in single action mode, but for semi-auto also really likes my CZ PCR that has the trigger reach reduced - not to mention considerably lightened ;) (thanks CGW!).

The recent M&P EZs seem pretty good in that the triggers are set back, which is probably appropriate for the target audience.