Hog Hunting in TN?

I have become interested in doing some hog hunting. I never have. Thinking on taking my Dad too. Anyone know a good place in TN? Would be nice to find a private land owner that wanted help clearing up hogs. I am not interested in "reserves". Middle TN or eastward would be best.

I am also gray on the regulations. Been trying to read up on them.

Thanks

• Like 2

I think you would be better off trying to find a place out in TX or FL if you want to hunt hog on the cheap.  I have been discussing hunting laws here in TN lately and mostly it seems that there are a few places to hunt them legally, because you have to be the landowner during non deer seasons, and during deer season it's limited on where you can hunt them.

• Like 1

Might want to take a look at Texas Hunting Forum if you are interested in a long drive to check one off the bucket list.  Sounds interesting, especially the helicopter version I saw on utube but didn't like the price at all.  LOL

Check out Alabama, and Georgia.  Tennessee makes it too dang difficult to hunt pigs on a casual basis.  You have to be put on a list as a designee to hunt them on private property.  Only 10 people can be listed per property per year.  I have a couple of friends who are on leases as designees, but they go a couple of weekends per month year round, but with what they pay for the lease they kind of need to.  

8 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Any limits to what weapons to use? I THINK Arkansas had a spear hunting season on hogs. Might could be that TN does as well.

No, there is no season on hogs, not really.  They can be hunted incidental to hunting other big game, and land owners can hunt the year round.  You can hunt only during daytime, and only with the weapons allowed for big game season during the season.  Land owners may file for an exception to hunt at night with spotlights, hunt over bait etc., but the normal hunter is pretty limited.

9 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Any limits to what weapons to use? I THINK Arkansas had a spear hunting season on hogs. Might could be that TN does as well.

Spear hunting hogs is only a short step down in crazy from hunting bears with a knife. Give me my .308 or 30-30. I enjoy not getting maimed by my prey.  Lol

I've hunted several times with Loshbough in Crossville. Very good outfit, excellent dogs and some really big boars back in those hollows.

I can also recommend Alabama Hog Control if you want something a little more extreme. Night time hunting w/ thermals. We dropped 14 pigs out of a single sounder last year. It's an immense amount of fun.

Which leads me to a shameless plug. The Music City SCI chapter is having an auction for hunts on March 15th, and there just so happens to be a nice hog hunt right here: http://www.icollector.com/1-day-Alabama-Night-time-Hog-Hunt-for-2-Hunters_i29121350

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Spear hunting hogs is only a short step down in crazy from hunting bears with a knife. Give me my .308 or 30-30. I enjoy not getting maimed by my prey.  Lol

Truth. A charge from a big ole 300 lb boar is not something you want to have to deal with. A lot of hog outfitters won't let people hunt that way due to the massively increased risk. If you do decide to use a spear or knife, make sure the outfit you are hunting with has some really good catch dogs.

My Little brother use to go up to  a place called Catoosa hog hunting back years ago and he was using a Black Hawk 44 mag to hunt with. He killed one his second year but shot it from up a tree after the Hog Treed him and that was his last time going.

27 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

My Little brother use to go up to  a place called Catoosa hog hunting back years ago and he was using a Black Hawk 44 mag to hunt with. He killed one his second year but shot it from up a tree after the Hog Treed him and that was his last time going.

We used to hear herds of hogs when Dad and I hunted Catoosa. Never got to shoot at any. Actually never got a shot at anything hunting there. 

7 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

We used to hear herds of hogs when Dad and I hunted Catoosa. Never got to shoot at any. Actually never got a shot at anything hunting there. 

He got 1 shot in the 2 years he hunted them and he was up a tree hanging by his legs and 1 arm and shot the ho at about 8 feet away and he had got all the hog hunting he wanted right then and there..................:bowrofl:

• Haha 1

I know you said you were not interested in a preserve but I have to vouch for Loshbough!!  I am leaving for another hunt on March 4! Great outfit, you will work for it.....Spear hunting, you on your freakin own........ you DO NOT want to go “ toe to toe” with one without at LEAST a 10 mm 

48 minutes ago, sybo said:

I know you said you were not interested in a preserve but I have to vouch for Loshbough!!  I am leaving for another hunt on March 4! Great outfit, you will work for it.....Spear hunting, you on your freakin own........ you DO NOT want to go “ toe to toe” with one without at LEAST a 10 mm 

I will take a look at Loshbough.

Yeah the more I read about them the more I think using my Dad's .444 sounds like a good idea. Lol

Coming out of Johnson City, Loshbough will be an easy trip. It's a fenced property (I think 500 acres or so) but the way it's laid out, it really doesn't feel fenced. I've had several good hunts there. Accommodations are nice, clean and well maintained. You'll have to take care of your own food but there's a kitchen and grills so it's not a big deal. There's a good processor and taxidermist nearby as well so it's easy to take home a cooler full of butchered and packaged pork.

If you want a free range hunt then look at the auction hunt I posted from Alabama Hog Control. It's in Prattville so it's an eight hour drive for you, but it's fully free range and for about the same price you'll likely bring home a LOT more pork. You'll be less likely to bag trophy boar, but if you are after meat that's an economical way to fill the freezer. Plus hunting at night w/ thermal sights is an intense experience.

Regardless, have fun, be safe and shoot straight.

19 minutes ago, gr8smiles said:

I went to SanAngelo Tx last weekend with a group. Between 6 of us, we killed 67 hogs and 38 coyotes in 6 hours from a helicopter. Flew in on Friday afternoon and back to Nashville Sunday am. It was a freaking blast!

That sounds awesome!

On 2/15/2018 at 9:05 PM, gr8smiles said:

I went to SanAngelo Tx last weekend with a group. Between 6 of us, we killed 67 hogs and 38 coyotes in 6 hours from a helicopter. Flew in on Friday afternoon and back to Nashville Sunday am. It was a freaking blast!

So how does that work? Do you retrieve the kills?  I can;t imagine you would from the helo.

So how does that work? Do you retrieve the kills?  I can;t imagine you would from the helo.

No, we leave them where they lay. We were hunting a 25000 acre ranch. Many of the hogs are diseased and not fit for consumption. We were strictly on a ‘pest control mission’ as these were tearing up the ranchers fences, crops, and competing with natural game. As far as the coyotes, they were well fed and large. They had obviously had plenty to eat with the hogs, rabbits, deer, and cattle on the ranch.

We had the helicopter for 6 hours. Two of us went at a time. We each had an AR with 5 loaded pmags. We came back empty each time :):)
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I'm gearing up for hog hunting now. Trijicon reap ir is on my short list. Got a buddy that hunts in Texas and Georgia. Looks like Tennessee hog hunting laws are changing,  but now night hunting without a permit from TWRA.

I can't afford a lot of special gear or long trips. Probably just use my .308 or 30-30 like I would with deer. I just would like to get to do it once and Dad has always talked about it. Would like to get him out to do it. He had a health scare recently, so I am thinking it is now or never. Might just be stuck with saving up to do a reserve. Not the worst thing and probably get a better chance at one than if I just ended up hunting somewhere I do not know. 

Be interested in at least bringing back some meat to share around in the family.

If you can handle a 5hr drive from Johnson City, Woods n Water in Wrightsville, GA might be worth a try for you.  Me and 3 friends did a 2 day (night) hunt there.  It's 1 hog a day though.  We came out of there with 2 hogs, a coyote and a missed opportunity at another hog.  It's fair chase on about 5000 acres total, so you may or may not get one but they have feeders everywhere with stands nearby.  The night after we left somebody shot a 400 pounder.

Edited by Shorty
More info