Hog Hunting in TN?

You would think that with all the destruction hogs do, there would be land owners running ads for free hog hunting all over the place.  But everywhere you look, it's hundreds of $ to do even fair chase hog hunting, it's become a big business. Of course there are public areas to hunt, but unless you are a local it would be a hit or miss situation. 

Of course, we here in TN will get an opportunity soon to have our own local hog hunting if the hog population keeps going as it has in other states.  I wonder what TWRA will do once we are overrun? 

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

Georgia tried pairing farmers with hunters a couple of years ago to help with hogs. Not sure how well that worked out.

TWRA will still probably continue to make it hard to hunt them once they become rampant here.

fixed it for you                  ^^^^

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, sybo said:

Awesome!! Decent weather. Beautiful property. Checked and reconfirmed zero on my rifle and the retical was screwed up!!!!!! Thank gosh I brought a shotty!

https://imgur.com/a/pL9BE

GREAT cutters

https://imgur.com/a/1VRWr

Man, that looks great.

Buckshot or slug? How long of a shot?

Do you have it processed professionally there? Butchering is not my besr skillset.

Anyone down there ever keep the skins to process?

3 hours ago, sybo said:

3” 1 oz slug to the left cheek below the eye from about 45 yds. Dropped with no squeal like a rock.  I had it processed there. Good chops !!!

Sounds like a winner. I really need to see if I can muster the cash to take Dad down there. He would never pay for it himself. And I dont think he is up to going to FL or somewhere far away. His health is declining.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:53 AM, 10-Ring said:

Tennessee makes it too dang difficult to hunt pigs on a casual basis. 

I'm normally an anti regulation guy but this one I agree with since I have been told the rational. When the hog hunting was more open, multiple people we caught transporting wild hogs to new areas to set up hunting sites. The LAST thing we need is people helping to spread an invasive species for hunting purposes. Wild hogs are a huge ecological disturbance and need to be eradicated, not propagated by people looking to make $ for themselves. 

On 3/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, xjsnake said:

I'm normally an anti regulation guy but this one I agree with since I have been told the rational. When the hog hunting was more open, multiple people we caught transporting wild hogs to new areas to set up hunting sites. The LAST thing we need is people helping to spread an invasive species for hunting purposes. Wild hogs are a huge ecological disturbance and need to be eradicated, not propagated by people looking to make $ for themselves. 

Not me, again we see mass punishment for those who wouldn't even think of breaking the law.  You think this will stop those that want to establish a hunting sounder?  No, they'll just be out hunting while the rest of us are stuck paying to hunt them elsewhere.

• 6 months later...

For me and the origional reason I started this thread, I can't travel hundreds of miles away to just hunt hog. I would love to, but time and cost prohibit it. I have enought trouble working out getting to hunt deer once or twice. I went years wihout hunting due to this. Just last year I got to go once. 

I want to take my dad who is in his 70's, so that means it is even harder to coordinate. I have just about figured out that it is not gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

For me and the origional reason I started this thread, I can't travel hundreds of miles away to just hunt hog. I would love to, but time and cost prohibit it. I have enought trouble working out getting to hunt deer once or twice. I went years wihout hunting due to this. Just last year I got to go once. 

I want to take my dad who is in his 70's, so that means it is even harder to coordinate. I have just about figured out that it is not gonna happen.

Just set up a canned hunt. If it's about doing something with your father than do it. Some may look down on it, but so what. Some of us don't have fathers anymore. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I go out to southern Oklahoma every year to dove hunt three to four weeks.  Hog sign is seen more and more everywhere we hunt.  Two years ago a group of hogs stampeded a herd of cows.  Hogs knocked down a fence to enter the field and ran the cows out through another portion of the fence.  The rancher and two sons were out on horses trying to round up the cows.

We were hunting doves in the morning on a three to four hundred acre harvested corn field.  The guy that puts on the hunts had been out checking the field the day before and had his truck attacked by a big boar.  He brought an AR15.  We didn't see the big boar but three large sows with about 30 other assorted size pigs came running across the field.  We were sitting in a UTV.  We knew where the hunters were (behind us) and took off after the hogs.  The outfitter did the shooting and had his foot on the gas while I steered from the passenger seat.  What a circus.  Several pigs went down in the field and other hogs were hit but made it to a brushy field.  I went back to this field the next afternoon to see if any doves were flying.  No doves but there were 9 or 10 vultures sitting in the field looking very full.  They were not sitting on a hog.  Must have found a dead hog in the brush.

One dove hunter with another group was attacked by a hog.  Lost a couple of fingers.  You would be surprised how many dove hunters are carrying sidearms.

Edited by A516