Hog Hunting in TN?

My guess is a tusk got his hand if he was trying to fend it off.  The place we went to in Georgia told us a story about one of their guys going out to check feeders.  They said the guy was driving his utv and a hog charged him and ended up in the cab with him.  After 3 shots from his pistol at basically point blank, the hog got out.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

My guess is a tusk got his hand if he was trying to fend it off.  The place we went to in Georgia told us a story about one of their guys going out to check feeders.  They said the guy was driving his utv and a hog charged him and ended up in the cab with him.  After 3 shots from his pistol at basically point blank, the hog got out.

I don't remember at what age I made this decision but sometime in my past I decided I would no longer want to hunt nor kill anything that would hunt and possibly kill me while I was hunting it and hogs fall in that catagory.......JMHO

• 3 months later...

+1 Loshbough. Good property, good people and good hogs.

I'm heading to Texas at the end of Feb to see if I can't put some pork in the freezer. Night time hunt w/ thermal optics... should be fun.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cknight98 said:

I’m looking into Loshbough myself now, chased them a bunch at Catoosa WMA on the deer hunts there but haven’t been successful yet

Still pricey for me. I know it is accommodations and everything, but $750 would buy lots of pork. Then if you need it butchered add $150.

I would love to take my dad and enjoy the experience, but my budget is not there. 

I would love to try them on the WMAs, but I hear the same thing. They are there, but hard to get. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you are paying for the convenience. Hunt the WMAs and you may or may not see anything. Go to Loshbough and it's highly likely you'll get a shot. Time or money is pretty much what it comes down to.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah, you are paying for the convenience. Hunt the WMAs and you may or may not see anything. Go to Loshbough and it's highly likely you'll get a shot. Time or money is pretty much what it comes down to.

I am aweful short on both these days

• Like 2

I go out to hunt doves in southern Oklahoma each year.  Hogs are really tearing up the area down there.  Ruining crops, knocking down fences, stampeding cattle, etc. One dove hunter hunting with another outfitter lost some fingers to a hog that attacked him.  Took 26 dove load shots to kill the hog.  We had a group of hogs (about 30) run through a 400 acre corn field one morning.  This was after a big boar attacked the outfitters truck two days earlier.  A dove hunt turned into a hog hunt (with a Polaris Ranger and an AR).  I steered from the passenger seat while the outfitter did the shooting and had his foot on the gas.  Don't worry,  the other 5 hunters were at the other end of the field and we had a background of hundreds of acres shooting 180 degrees in the opposite direction.  Otherwise a circus we still laugh about. 

Many of the hunters (including me) carry a pistol or revolver while hunting.

17 hours ago, A516 said:

I go out to hunt doves in southern Oklahoma each year.  Hogs are really tearing up the area down there.  Ruining crops, knocking down fences, stampeding cattle, etc. One dove hunter hunting with another outfitter lost some fingers to a hog that attacked him.  Took 26 dove load shots to kill the hog.  We had a group of hogs (about 30) run through a 400 acre corn field one morning.  This was after a big boar attacked the outfitters truck two days earlier.  A dove hunt turned into a hog hunt (with a Polaris Ranger and an AR).  I steered from the passenger seat while the outfitter did the shooting and had his foot on the gas.  Don't worry,  the other 5 hunters were at the other end of the field and we had a background of hundreds of acres shooting 180 degrees in the opposite direction.  Otherwise a circus we still laugh about. 

Many of the hunters (including me) carry a pistol or revolver while hunting.

Hogs were the reason as a kid I kept 2 WWII vintage AP rounds in the bottom of the 10 round mag of my Enfield while hunting deer. I also scoped out a tree to climb if they came through. I figured if I got to the 9th round, a head shot with the AP would put anything down. I had heard horror stories of hog and bear that the round just bounced off their angled skulls. 

9 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Heading back to Texas in a couple of weeks for a hog eradication. Planning on taking 250 rounds. I'm one night hunting gun down due to the ATF not running forms during the shutdown, but it should be fun.

I wish I could swing something like that. 

30 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Heading back to Texas in a couple of weeks for a hog eradication. Planning on taking 250 rounds. I'm one night hunting gun down due to the ATF not running forms during the shutdown, but it should be fun.

Need any help? Always willing to be of eradication service!

Alabama Hog Control runs nighttime eradication hunts and it's closer than Texas. Barry provides rifles w/ thermal scopes and works w/ local farmers... they took down over a thousand pigs last year. Good operation, really good guy. My brother and I hunted with him for a weekend. Got two the first night and seventeen the second. We got into a big sounder and just tore it up. Most of the meat went to local families but we butchered a couple and had some good eating for a few months.

http://alabamahogcontrol.com

For anyone interested, My Sci chapter has it's banquet Saturday and he's donated a hunt for auction. Tickets available at musiccitysci.org or you can just bid online. 

https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com/One-Night-Alabama-Hog-Hunt-for-Three-Hunters_i32438241

4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

How many nights do you hunt and is it private land?

3 nights in Texas. Private land. We may have some places in AL, GA, and AR. We just couldn't hurt during deer season.  That's over, so we are about to start make the rounds. We need to see if the other areas have good  pigs.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Alabama Hog Control runs nighttime eradication hunts and it's closer than Texas. Barry provides rifles w/ thermal scopes and works w/ local farmers... they took down over a thousand pigs last year. Good operation, really good guy. My brother and I hunted with him for a weekend. Got two the first night and seventeen the second. We got into a big sounder and just tore it up. Most of the meat went to local families but we butchered a couple and had some good eating for a few months.

http://alabamahogcontrol.com

For anyone interested, My Sci chapter has it's banquet Saturday and he's donated a hunt for auction. Tickets available at musiccitysci.org or you can just bid online. 

https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com/One-Night-Alabama-Hog-Hunt-for-Three-Hunters_i32438241

Knock it off Chris.  I don't need any extra competition betting against me for that hunt.  lol

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...