Tipping Parking Attendants

hipower

I've been talking with bersaguy about the amount to tip the valet people at places like hospitals and doctors offices. 

I usually give 2-3 dollars for parking and returning my car, unless it's really bad weather and he or she has a long walk to get in an uncovered area. Then I'll give 5+ depending on the valet's attitude.

Is this in line with what you guys do?

Please chime in on this. We both would like to hear your thoughts.

14 minutes ago, hipower said:

OK. it seems I'm cheap. Really didn't start using the service until some health issues that came up last fall. I might have to rethink my amount.

I would say most people probably tip 2-3 bucks.  That is probably average.  I always tip a little bit more to appease my guilt for being a lazy fat ass and not doing it myself.  There is no medical reason I couldn't park it myself except that I just don't want to. lol

• Like 4
3 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I would say most people probably tip 2-3 bucks.  That is probably average.  I always tip a little bit more to appease my guilt for being a lazy fat ass and not doing it myself.  There is no medical reason I couldn't park it myself except that I just don't want to. lol

That was my long time reason. When the weather is good, I'll park and walk. I desperately need the exercise. Gotta lose some weight before the knee surgery.

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I’ve always kind of figured that most of a valet’s compensation is in the tips they receive.  

I figure the extra couple of bucks may not impact me much at this point in my life - but it might in theirs.  

Life is short...

I have pretty much thought the same way Mac. I figured their tips was probably half or more of their income and I still believe that to be true in the case of Waitresses, Waiters and Valet parking at the fancy clubs but the lady at the hospital I spoke with said that they are paid by the hospital but then again the workers in resturants are paid to but it is like 25% of Minimum wage per-hour and the rest is tips. I will probably go with the weather on how much between 3 & 5 bucks. I do know they park inside as I got to watch them the other day while waiting on my daughter. Gosh making decisions today can be hard...................:doh:

2 hours ago, Westwindmike said:

I won't let a valet touch my car after watching those hidden cameras that show those guys going through your glove box and ashtray.

I thought/think that way at times. So I leave nothing in the car that's valuable or informative. Valet gets car key only. I carry a sling bag now, Thanks Santa, and have registration and papers from the glove box packed in one envelope so I can take it out when I need to.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

For some reason, I'd prefer to walk a mile in a rainstorm so I can park myself. I have no particular reason for it, but look at valets sort of like bums with their hand out. I probably need to rethink my position.

I've done that for years and years. But when my wife had her first knee surgery, I had to change my thinking. I'd just roll up to the door and get her out, then park it myself.

Then recently she had Achilles Tendon surgery. And with a couple other issues of mine, I'll take the weather into account when I have to park somewhere.

Us old farts have to be careful as we're getting more and more feeble by the day. And more susceptible to cold winds and rains causing problems

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

If you are using a valet service for entrainment; a five spot is fine. If you are at a hospital or Doctors office they are providing a service for patients and should not expect or accept a tip.

True. But I've found some of these guys to go beyond their stated jobs. From what I've been told, they are not to get people in and out of cars, assist with chairs and the like, nor generally do anything but take your keys. One of my docs told me this. How true, I don't know.

I've had some of them get the wheel chair out as I opened the hatch, and have it ready and waiting before I got out. Some have assisted my wife, and my mother, getting in and out, as well as holding arms while they walked. Then get them back in when we left, and would fold and stow the chair for me. 

Granted, not all do these things, but those who do for me will at least get my meager tip.

22 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I thought this yesterday but didn't post it. From what I know of you...Lazy fat ass is not applicable to you.

Perhaps like me, you are weight challenged, but lazy...nope.

Well, I am not weight challenged but I am truck challenged and there are just some days that old Ford truck shows up more often than others and thing is I never know when it decides to show up. I use to never mind parking and walking and would not now but with ths most recent precedure being done and I'm a tad short winded right now anyway I think I think I will used the Valet parking. One look at my old Jeep and they won't bother looking for anything to steal........LOL