Another shooting (Parkland High School)

DaveTN

23 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It just keeps getting worse and worse. These kids were failed by nearly adult there. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/03/04/florida-students-say-hero-teacher-really-coward-who-left-them-die/393191002/

I see nothing wrong per se, it is a matter of perspective, just depends on what side of the door you happen to find yourself on.  If the gunman had started banging on doors and the teachers opened it, he would be dead or crucified by all.  I don't necessarily view him as a hero though, as that word gets thrown out way too much, it's not like he shielded the kids with his body, or charged the gunman.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

It just keeps getting worse and worse. These kids were failed by nearly adult there. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/03/04/florida-students-say-hero-teacher-really-coward-who-left-them-die/393191002/

I'm not willing to call this guy a coward yet. If policy states they are not to open the door then I don't blame him. Let's say the shooter is holding these kids at gunpoint and and the teacher opens the door. Now everyone is dead. There is a reason some of the teachers wouldn't let in the SWAT team until they slid their ID card under the door. 

• Moderators

If he had his entire class in that room with him I would agree with you. But he made it back to the classroom with approximately 1/3 of his charges. That means that 2/3 of the students who were under his care were left out in the wild to fend for themselves.  When called on it, his response is that he stuck to protocol.  Was it protocol to be on the phone with news organizations giving interviews while you were in that classroom and your students are at the mercy of a psychopath?  I’m not so forgiving or prone to laud this man is a hero under those circumstances. 

Edited to add: 

A friend of mine on another message for me this observation. “

There's been an awful lot of "just doing what I was told" excuses coming out of adults after this shooting.  The sheriff's department, and now this teacher.

How do they live with themselves?”

The answer to that question is they actually get to live. Unlike the kids that they all failed and let die. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

If he had his entire class in that room with him I would agree with you. But he made it back to the classroom with approximately 1/3 of his charges. That means that 2/3 of the students who were under his care were left out in the wild to fend for themselves.  When called on it, his response is that he stuck to protocol.  Was it protocol to be on the phone with news organizations giving interviews while you were in that classroom and your students are at the mercy of a psychopath?  I’m not so forgiving or prone to laud this man is a hero under those circumstances. 

Edited to add: 

There's been an awful lot of "just doing what I was told" excuses coming out of adults after this shooting.  The sheriff's department, and now this teacher.

The answer to that question is they actually get to live. Unlike the kids that they all failed and let die. 

I wonder who was the first one back in the classroom.

5 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

When I first heard the cop didn’t go in I thought the same thing. It was hard for me to believe that an Officer that had enough time in to retire would freeze. But when I heard the Sheriff ripping him I figured it must be true.

Then a co-worker came in and said “Did you hear the latest, three other cops stood by and did nothing!”. I said “Okay, now I know its BS. Four cops didn’t stand around doing nothing while those kids were being killed; that didn’t happen.”

So I don’t know what happened. None of the LE agency’s involved want to give us the info, and the MSM is lying.

6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

When I first heard the cop didn’t go in I thought the same thing. It was hard for me to believe that an Officer that had enough time in to retire would freeze. But when I heard the Sheriff ripping him I figured it must be true.

Then a co-worker came in and said “Did you hear the latest, three other cops stood by and did nothing!”. I said “Okay, now I know its BS. Four cops didn’t stand around doing nothing while those kids were being killed; that didn’t happen.”

So I don’t know what happened. None of the LE agency’s involved want to give us the info, and the MSM is lying.

They were ordered to by the commander on duty. This is just the first link, but there are dozens.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5448315/Commanding-officer-initially-ordered-officers-stage.html

Everybody stood by at Columbine waiting for SWAT to arrive, while kids were being gunned down inside. Seems to be similar in Fla.

All the Active Shooter training I ever had, taught you that if there was no one but you, you go in & take out the threat. You do not wait for backup. Maybe all do not train this way, IDK.

From what I've "read", it looks like a good old "cluster F---" to me.

• Like 3

Well everyone seems to have their own opinion on what the police officers should have done or not done during the shooting and I look back all the way to Columbine High School and I can say this with a clear mind. If I was a LEO and I arrived at the school and shooting was still going on I am going in. I'm wearing a modest amount of protective gear on my body and I do have the element of surprise on the shooter/shooters and if I save 1 or 100 lives I have done my job to the best of my ability. To stand outside and listen to the gun fire inside would just be unacceptable to me. I'm 70 years old and I would still go in...............JMHO 

• Like 3
  • Moderators

The more information that comes out, the worse it looks for Peterson and the BCSO. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/disgraced-parkland-deputy-heard-shots-inside-school-building-told-cops-to-stay-away/ar-BBK2rkJ?ocid=spartanntp

I have never been shy about my criticisms of policing in America and will not deny my biases, but this isn’t about that. This is about the failures of these specific officers/deputies in this specific instance. A gross and overwhelming failure to fulfill a moral duty (there is no legal duty to do so) to protect those who cannot protect themselves. 

• 9 months later...

The Parkland Shooting Commission has released their findings. Their recommendation is armed teachers after 13-1 vote.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission voted 13-1 to recommend the Legislature allow the arming of teachers, saying it's not enough to have one or two police officers or armed guards on campus. Florida law adopted after the Feb. 14 shooting that left 17 dead allows districts to arm non-teaching staff members such as principals, librarians and custodians — 13 of the 67 districts do, mostly in rural parts of the state.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/parkland-shooting-commission-recommends-teachers-be-armed-to-stop-violence

• Like 1

One thing I will never understand is why when decisions like arming all the staff in a school is just announcing to any future shooters make sure you shoot the staff near you first and get rid of that threat. That is what all the night club shooters do. They shoot security first.................JMHO.