Another shooting (Parkland High School)

DaveTN

8 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

http://k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states#.WoZapXxG2po

Some historical data on school shootings ( and the occasional bombing).

I think this should disprove a lot of the 'this is a recent thing.'

School shootings, and mass shootings have always happened. Modern Mass Media makes it seem like a new trend. Yes, the bodycounts are getting higher, but contrary to popular belief, 'the good old days' are just a myth.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

School shootings, and mass shootings have always happened. Modern Mass Media makes it seem like a new trend. Yes, the bodycounts are getting higher, but contrary to popular belief, 'the good old days' are just a myth.

More brought to the fore by a far faster media.

Such speed doesn't seem to obtain in dealing with the shooter.

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, TripleGGG said:

So sad.  Words just aren't enough.  I only ask how did he "walk" away in handcuffs? Should have been a bodybag.

Why did they give him the few minutes of fame showing his face and name over the entire Country?

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

Why did they give him the few minutes of fame showing his face and name over the entire Country?

It's about ratings not about doing the right thing. The most sensational headline wins the day. Plus half of what gets reported is speculation at best so they have to come back and revisit it over and over until the next big story.

2 hours ago, tnhawk said:

Because unlike most of these they have someone alive to hold responsible and send to trial. They already seem to think this man is going to give them some insight that will help us stop other evil men; he will not. It is ridiculous to think he will offer anything we don’t already know. His trial will be a media Circus.

No red flags here :confused:

Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old accused of killing 17 people at his former Florida high school, had scores of run-ins with law enforcement dating back to 2010 -- with one report saying sheriff’s deputies responded to his home more than 35 times in just six years.

Broward County Sheriff’s deputies received at least 36 emergency 911 calls from 80th Terrace St., in Parkland – the suburban address where the teenager lived with his younger brother, Zachary, and their adoptive mother, Lynda, BuzzFeed reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/16/alleged-florida-school-shooter-nikolas-cruz-was-reported-to-fbi-cops-school-but-warning-signs-missed.html

It bothers me that some in the media are portraying him as a troubled youth that never had a chance. It's like they are excusing his behavior because he had a crappy childhood. Lot's of people had a rough childhood and turned out to be great adults.

They will do anything to deflect away from the shooter and to the gun debate I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Schools across US receive threats of violence following Florida high school shooting

Probably going to be some nut cases in jail this week. Threats are not protected speech; some folks need to learn that.

I know this is a little off the topic but it does involved a mass murder. The Colorado Theater shooter was found guilty of 12 dead and something like 57 injured and his sentence is.

On August 24, Holmes was sentenced to 12 consecutive life sentences, plus 3,318 years in prison, without the possibility of parole.

A sentence like this is nothing more than allowing him to live a life knowing he go away with his crime and Taxpayers will keep him healthy and happy for as long as he lives. The Sentence is a Life Sentence so why is it not carried out in 30 days or less and give him a short life??????

• Moderators

February 16, 2018
FBI Statement on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida

On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”

58 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I know this is a little off the topic but it does involved a mass murder. The Colorado Theater shooter was found guilty of 12 dead and something like 57 injured and his sentence is.

On August 24, Holmes was sentenced to 12 consecutive life sentences, plus 3,318 years in prison, without the possibility of parole.

A sentence like this is nothing more than allowing him to live a life knowing he go away with his crime and Taxpayers will keep him healthy and happy for as long as he lives. The Sentence is a Life Sentence so why is it not carried out in 30 days or less and give him a short life??????

I guess it depends on you beliefs. I would rather die on the spot or get the death penalty than spend the rest of my life in prison.

My religious beliefs do not allow me to be a party to killing someone that doesn’t meet the requirements for the use of deadly force. So I couldn’t be on a jury where the death penalty was on the table; but I could kill a criminal where the use of deadly force was justified and go eat lunch.

The taxpayers can have a bigger bill to defend someone in a death penalty case than the cost to keep them in prison until they die or another inmate kills them.

Illinois did away with the death penalty when the Governor was faced with many (25 if I remember correctly) on death where it was proven that they could not have committed the murder. How many innocent people are we willing to execute to kill the ones that are guilty?

But that’s just my opinion I don’t care one way or the other if the state executes them as long as I’m not involved.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

February 16, 2018
FBI Statement on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida

On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time. 

There is no way to know the operations of Nikolas Cruz's mind. A vigorous sit-down with a couple of Bureau agents might have jolted him out of his whatever, or might have ignited him to act sooner. We'll never know.

If the character that took the call had any shame or integrity, it would have turned in its badge on the breaking of the news of the shootout.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy.

Well, that's helpful, if it isn't some BS throwaway CYA statement.

All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”

Like Russiagate.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that there are more folks in the Bureau that act with professionalism and integrity than not. Problem is, the 'nots'  are the ones garnering all the publicity.

SWC

7 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

There is no way to know the operations of Nikolas Cruz's mind. A vigorous sit-down with a couple of Bureau agents might have jolted him out of his whatever, or might have ignited him to act sooner. We'll never know.

If the character that took the call had any shame or integrity, it would have turned in its badge on the breaking of the news of the shootout.

Well, that's helpful, if it isn't some BS throwaway CYA statement.

Like Russiagate.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that there are more folks in the Bureau that act with professionalism and integrity than not. Problem is, the 'nots'  are the ones garnering all the publicity.

SWC

Regardless of what the FBI did or did not do, or what they would have done as follow-up; this information should have immediately been passed to the Broward Sheriff’s Office for action. They are now the lead agency and this is their case. Do we know if that happened?

With nearly 6K employees the Sheriff’s office was the best agency in the area to give this threat the attention it deserved.

3 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Bit late, I think... Had this happened under the BHO regime, it might have well worked, and we wouldn't be discussing this. 

Some of the worst shootings we've ever seen happened under BHO. You forget about Sandy Hook? 

Edited by Erik88
16 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

19 of the "worst" 30 have happened in the last 10 years. Something has clearly changed in the past 2 decades. JMO.

15 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

19 of the "worst" 30 have happened in the last 10 years. Something has clearly changed in the past 2 decades. JMO.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that the amount of coverage given to these shootings by both the mainstream media and in particular the various internet forums, blogs, social media sites, etc. have made it more likely that people, especially teens, have been motivated to perform increasingly horrific actions in a perverse attempt to "outdo" others, or to gain their few fleeting moments of fame.  As a prerequisite, these many of these same people are sociopaths that have often been medicated with various drugs which may increase those tendencies. Like others, I have no idea what the solution is, it's a fact of life in the security business that the most difficult situation to deal with is the lone gunman who has no regard for life, including his own.

34 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Some of the worst shootings we've ever seen happened under BHO. You forget about Sandy Hook? 

No. And each one I have cringed at, for dread that "is THIS the one that tips BHO into Martial Law mode?" (A significant part of my being a prepper; old SOBs like me don't do well under martial law. Still have my BOB ready for.... well, that's another discussion.)

The Parkland shooting is unique as far as school shootings this past decade, in that the perp is still alive, and in custody to answer for his crimes.

Mourn the dead, punish the guilty, try to fix what broke for it to happen in the first place, and keep it from being a political or any other type of football.

Edited by SWCUMBERLAND

Layered security at airports, check

Layered security at government facilities, check

Armed security for elected servants, check

Private security for those who can afford it, check

Personal security for those who exercise their 2A rights, check

Key readers to enter hotel weight room to deter non guest access, check

Schools, come on in?

And yes, we have to paint the narrative of a troubled and mentally ill young man to maintain the focus on the evil of guns and how easy it is for the wrong people to obtain them.

I do include MSM news sites in my daily research, it seems close to an anti-gun feeding frenzy out there...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My wife was at my daughter's middle school to pick her up today. 6th and 7th Grade only, the 8th Grade goes to the new High School. This morning I dropped her off and there were two cruisers in the lot with an officer opening the door to let the students in. My daughter explained to me they had been there since the Florida shooting. So, this evening, my wife is there, and she calls me screaming, as she is sitting there nearly dozen cruisers converge on the lot in full disco mode, armed officers run into the building. It seems that last night a student posted a threatening message on social media, and this afternoon near dismissal another(?) student made some "trigger statements." The official email stated that the school was not on lockdown, the students were never in any danger and they were issued a 'stay in place.'

The town I live in is considered the fourth safest town in Kentucky by a few recent articles. The final home of Colonel Sanders. We had our first murder in several years last week, a teenager stabbed her stepfather to death.