Another shooting (Parkland High School)

DaveTN

22 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

It seems that last night a student posted a threatening message on social media, and this afternoon near dismissal another(?) student made some "trigger statements."

One or two little wanna-be Klebolds that need a nice case of expelling, if not outright arrested. Parents need a good talking-to as well... How about a garnishing fine for all the costs incurred with the extra coverage?

SWC

7 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

My wife was at my daughter's middle school to pick her up today. 6th and 7th Grade only, the 8th Grade goes to the new High School. This morning I dropped her off and there were two cruisers in the lot with an officer opening the door to let the students in. My daughter explained to me they had been there since the Florida shooting. So, this evening, my wife is there, and she calls me screaming, as she is sitting there nearly dozen cruisers converge on the lot in full disco mode, armed officers run into the building. It seems that last night a student posted a threatening message on social media, and this afternoon near dismissal another(?) student made some "trigger statements." The official email stated that the school was not on lockdown, the students were never in any danger and they were issued a 'stay in place.'

The town I live in is considered the fourth safest town in Kentucky by a few recent articles. The final home of Colonel Sanders. We had our first murder in several years last week, a teenager stabbed her stepfather to death.

My guess is this shooting impacts social media and what people can post more than it does gun control.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37524765/christian-county-student-arrested-for-allegedly-threatening-to-shoot-up-the-school

23 hours ago, Erik88 said:

19 of the "worst" 30 have happened in the last 10 years. Something has clearly changed in the past 2 decades. JMO.

This teacher pretty much covers it.

Florida Teacher of the Year's gun violence post goes viral after school shooting

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/16/florida-teacher-years-gun-violence-post-goes-viral-after-school-shooting.html

• Like 1

Constructive and well thought out as far as it went.

Shooter still needs to hang, though.

Agreed, whatever made him think and do what he did are significant data, useful to address and defuse potential future such individuals. Once he took a life, though,  not in defense, not in service, but for wanton destruction... the line got stepped over, he's a perp and murderer.

IMO, Florida murder one statutes regarding intent and premeditation were satisfied with him showing up with a gas mask and multiple loaded magazines, and using the school fire alarm system to flush more victims out in the open.  

Some Florida public defender is going to get his 15 minutes of fame and make his bones with the Florida bar for defending this guy. I hope he reminds himself his glory was purchased at the pain and suffering of 17 families, and the taking of 17 lives.

SWC

40 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Did this kid work? Not that it matters but I just wonder where he got the money to buy at least 7 guns? :confused:

Makes you wonder doesn't it? My wife asked me a couple of days ago how much an AR was selling for and how could this kid afford one?

He obviously had more expendable income than I do!

Did this kid work? Not that it matters but I just wonder where he got the money to buy at least 7 guns? default_confused.gif

I asked the same question. There are still a lot of questions that need to be addressed. Some of what I have been reading is not adding up. What security measures were in place and the whereabouts of these resource officers at the time of this shooting.

“Schools Superintendent Desmond Blackburn said in a press release that the district will "continue to take steps to improve security in our schools," but did not specify how. Some teachers spent Thursday reviewing what to do in case of an emergency.

Since 2014, the Brevard school district has been installing 6-foot fences, security cameras and remote-controlled locks at its 82 schools. So far, the district has spent $6.4 million on security projects with money from a countywide half-penny sales tax that residents approved. Originally, the district said it would take six years to upgrade security measures at every school, but decided to accelerate construction because "this was way too important to put off."

"I don’t believe any of the safety measures that we have put in place will completely stop these bad scenarios," said board member Andy Ziegler. "I can’t see that BPS will ever stop increasing security and safety."

“It's not yet clear how the shooter, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, got past the school's check-in procedure. He was carrying an AR-15 rifle, multiple magazines, a gas mask and smoke grenades. It is not common for schools in Florida to search visitors' bags or pockets.

The fact that Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School had so many security measures in place made parents wonder how schools can prevent these situations.”

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/15/what-security-measures-do-brevard-schools-have-place/341528002/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, prag said:

Makes you wonder doesn't it? My wife asked me a couple of days ago how much an AR was selling for and how could this kid afford one?

He obviously had more expendable income than I do!

When I was his age (19), I had about 2-3 times as many guns as I do now. I went on a sort of "splurge" until I realized other priorities in life. I wish I had realized those priorities earlier in life, and simply dumped $100/week into the stock market. To me, it was purely the ability to purchase things I had wanted for a number of years. With a job paying ~$300/week and lesser expenses (living at home, going to college), it did not take long to accumulate quite the collection. Since then I've consolidated down to what I consider "standards" and have much less than then.

My point, and only point, is that if a priority it is not a mystery at all to me that he had 7+ guns at that age.

Edited by CZ9MM
43 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Did this kid work? Not that it matters but I just wonder where he got the money to buy at least 7 guns? :confused:

Maybe he had some insurance money from his dad or mom's passing?? But yea, that seems a lot of money in that short of time, and at a time when weapons were still at or above the $500 range, at least at a LGS. 

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Pretty sure I heard he worked fast food somewhere. I can't remember where though. He had no car and presumably lived for free with that family. 

52 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

When I was his age (19), I had about 2-3 times as many guns as I do now. I went on a sort of "splurge" until I realized other priorities in life. I wish I had realized those priorities earlier in life, and simply dumped $100/week into the stock market. To me, it was purely the ability to purchase things I had wanted for a number of years. With a job paying ~$300/week and lesser expenses (living at home, going to college), it did not take long to accumulate quite the collection. Since then I've consolidated down to what I consider "standards" and have much less than then.

My point, and only point, is that if a priority it is not a mystery at all to me that he had 7+ guns at that age.

LOL. I think we are talking about two completely different personality types here.

I too read the murderer worked minimum wage. I guess he just managed his money well. ;)  that's a wink and a nod sarcasm, no disrespect intended to anyone 

1 hour ago, GeorgeandSugar said:

The fact that Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School had so many security measures in place made parents wonder how schools can prevent these situations.”

Sorry, a "please check in at the front desk before you walk through any of the unlocked doors" policy doesn't qualify as "so many security measures".   :rolleyes:  

Sounds just like the arguments for gun free zones... unenforceable "policies" that make people feel good instead of fixed requirements that cannot be avoided or bypassed. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, peejman said:

Sorry, a "please check in at the front desk before you walk through any of the unlocked doors" policy doesn't qualify as "so many security measures".   :rolleyes:  

Sounds just like the arguments for gun free zones... unenforceable "policies" that make people feel good instead of fixed requirements that cannot be avoided or bypassed. 

Exactly.

To anyone wondering how he "Made it into the school with firearms", I think the answer lies within the question:)

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Since there were students leaving for the day at that time, and he shot two people as he entered, I assumed either he went through an unsecured door or pointed his rifle at someone and made them open it.

I read that he waited until just before classes let out because he knew the doors open at that time. I suspect your scenario is possible too. Either way, it's not like any of these schools would be that difficult to get into. 

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I read that he waited until just before classes let out because he knew the doors open at that time. I suspect your scenario is possible too. Either way, it's not like any of these schools would be that difficult to get into. 

Why were the doors unlocked?  A locked commercial door with a push bar is easy to open from the inside when it's locked.  It's against fire code to have doors that won't let someone out when they're locked. 

Based on accounts I've read thus far:  The school routinely unlocks it's various gates into the parking/entrance areas near dismissal time to facilitate cars entering and leaving the school for student pickups. As for the actual entrance doors, I imagine that like many schools, there are a lot of students and staff using these doors throughout the day, particularly near dismissal times and it's not hard to imagine the shooter simply walking in one of the doors as another person leaves the building (just speculation on my part, maybe the doors were open at the time).  Another article indicated that according to the family he was living with the shooter stood to inherit about $800k from his adoptive parents estate at age 22, indicating that the family was fairly well-off, thus money was not a problem for him.  He also had some sort of fast food job during the previous year.

12 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Based on accounts I've read thus far:  The school routinely unlocks it's various gates into the parking/entrance areas near dismissal time to facilitate cars entering and leaving the school for student pickups. As for the actual entrance doors, I imagine that like many schools, there are a lot of students and staff using these doors throughout the day, particularly near dismissal times and it's not hard to imagine the shooter simply walking in one of the doors as another person leaves the building (just speculation on my part, maybe the doors were open at the time).  Another article indicated that according to the family he was living with the shooter stood to inherit about $800k from his adoptive parents estate at age 22, indicating that the family was fairly well-off, thus money was not a problem for him.  He also had some sort of fast food job during the previous year.

So one could argue that in the case of this school (and likely many others) convenience is/was more important than security.  That needs to change. 

6 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Wasn’t sure what to expect, but it didn’t fail to amuse. I needed that this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my mind a long time to process what I was seeing. 

"Is that..nooooo...wait, IT IS!"

Credit card companies will issue cards to anyone these days, even a 19 year old. When my son graduated he didn't work. Matter of fact his first job was the military. Even he had zero income with zero work history he got credit card offers pretty regularly. He could have easily covered the cost of seven guns with at least one of those cards.

Your credit score has no bearing on being offered credit cards.

Also, if he was planning on doing this he wouldn't give a damn about his credit rating after maxing out credit cards.

That Hogg kid is full of it. He was not a student there and there is plenty of evidence to suggest 99% of what he is saying is rehearsed BS. But he will be propped up on a pedestal as a hero for speaking out, just like the others who are calling for gun control.

• Like 2