Taurus PT G1 Class Action Experience?

Ronald_55

Has anyone sent their gun back to get it replaced or repaired through this? Times about to expire soon to do it and I have a Pt111 G1 that I'm thinking about sending in.

The way I read it they can't repair them, they just have to replace them with a G2. Mine is pretty beat up because I bought a used. But I've bought some extra magazines and even an extra slide for it. 

So on the fence about it. 

Mine was sent in early last year(or was it the previous year?) for a replacement trigger, before the recall was announced. My gunsmith received a message that the gun would not be returned because of other problems. We had a very hard time getting a reply to calls and emails in over a month. The shop put up quite a fuss with them. I was there and listening in on the conversation...it was quite antagonistic on both sides. Finally we were told a pistol would be shipped, just didn't know exactly when.  We did get a replacement pistol, one of the first to be taken care of it seems. The pistol arrived about a month later, no paper work at all. Just the box addressed to me. Another phone call, and a CS person said since the process had taken so long, and there were no PT111s available, nor due in for 3-6 months, they were sending me a PT24-7 instead. It's a long story, and a process that covered about 8 weeks and a lot of loud and sometimes nasty calls to Taurus.

I was spending a lot of hours on the TaurusArmed.net forum then and lots of complaints about the times to get a replacement. Some only like my wait, others were saying 6 months plus.

I have a PT 145 and another PT24/7 OSS model that I decided not to return, as I'd darn near break the trigger trying to replicate the "unsafe situation" to make them fire. As with the Sig pistols, I'm not in the habit of dropping my guns on concrete from 6 feet, so I didn't send them back. From what I saw back then, there were a lot of people who didn't.

So if you like your 111, and are having no problems with it...maybe just keep it since you have mags and a slide for it. If you really want a G2 111, they can be bought usually right at 200 from PSA.

Like you, I had extra mags for the 111, and wasn't happy that they(Taurus) had a replacement that didn't use existing mags; I actually bought a PT111 on GB. Yes, there were people selling them even after the recall became widely known

It was the most inaccurate Taurus I've ever owned. My brother-n-law just laughed at me. He hates Taurus. This particular one was a shining example of the things sometimes said about the Taurus line. That was not the norm for Taurus pistols I've owned. Granted they aren't the Caddy of pistols, but not the Yugo either. lol

I do own one of the "so ugly it's pretty" pimp guns from Taurus. A gloss black, with Gold controls and trigger, 1911 in 38 Super. I just had to have it! lol

• 3 weeks later...

I saw some G1 MilPros sold at auction with a description that I inferred to indicate had been repaired.  So, I wonder if a repair was developed since hipower returned his.  I returned a 24/7 in late January, and I received a letter indicating they have received it.  When I try to check their website for a status, I get a message saying my sn and/or zip code was invalid.

I really don't want a MilPro, but I'd have enough issues with mine (and the trigger pull was VERY long) so I decided to return it.  I feel like I'm playing "Let's Make a Deal".  I'll take door #2, please.

• 3 weeks later...

Called this evening since it has been over six (6) weeks, and the website still doesn't acknowledge a status on it.  They admitted to receiving it, but they haven't even gotten around to inspecting it, yet.  And, they would not give me even a rough estimate regarding time frame.

That is what worries me. I am probably just keeping mine as is. I don't have a lot in it to begin with. Plus, I don't plan to point it at any one and slam the mag in unless I already plan to shoot them. And I dont have a habit of dropping loaded guns.

I saw the price of auction ones go up as people bought cheap ones hoping to swap them for a new G2. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, chuckstur said:

They have had mine for 5 months. The status web site does not work and they won't return calls or emails.

Yikes. Giving you a new G2 should be a quick turn around. I bet they came up with some "fix" to avoid losing money. And they are in no hurry to get them done.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:44 PM, Ronald_55 said:

Yikes. Giving you a new G2 should be a quick turn around. I bet they came up with some "fix" to avoid losing money. And they are in no hurry to get them done.

Based on my conversation with them, it sounded like there is a backlog in the inspection process.  The explanation was that they would determine if it could be fixed or if it had to be replaced.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:14 PM, chuckstur said:

They have had mine for 5 months. The status web site does not work and they won't return calls or emails.

I am disheartened to hear they have had yours for that long.  At least I was able to talk to someone on the phone (though the hold was about twenty minutes).

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

This all cinches it. I will just keep mine. I have extra mags and actually an extra used slide for it. It makes a good under the seat gun anyway.

Glad we could help settle it for you.  I was quite conflicted and wonder if I'll end up regretting that I didn't just keep mine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I am pretty sure I have seen at least one post here (and maybe more) of someone that returned their pistol and got a replacement.  However, that post was before the settlement had final approval.

• 4 months later...

I got a voicemail yesterday.  When I called them today, I was given a choice between a G2C (9mm) and Curve w/Laser.  I did not ask how soon I could expect to receive it after I told them my choice.  So, I am doing a little research. 

The price for the Curve is higher at Bud's than the G2C, and I was thinking about buying a LCP II.  So, I'm leaning toward the Curve.  But, I know a lot of people have been happy with their PT111s, so that might be the safer choice.

Thoughts?  Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ski said:

I got a voicemail yesterday.  When I called them today, I was given a choice between a G2C (9mm) and Curve w/Laser.  I did not ask how soon I could expect to receive it after I told them my choice.  So, I am doing a little research. 

The price for the Curve is higher at Bud's than the G2C, and I was thinking about buying a LCP II.  So, I'm leaning toward the Curve.  But, I know a lot of people have been happy with their PT111s, so that might be the safer choice.

Thoughts?  Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks

So how long has it been now since you shipped it in?

3 minutes ago, Ski said:

A little over eight (8) months

I think I am glad I decided not to do it. No telling how much longer it will take to be delivered. 

You find this a bunch in these cases. They are required to do it, but rarely is there a definate timeframe in which they have to. 

Sucks to hear about cases like these, but I always send mine in, though luckily it's only been three times, my G23, which sort of ticked me off, they pretty much gave me a new lower which at the time I didn't like, my Mossberg slug gun, inspected and returned, my Remington 700, trigger cleaned and sealed, and while they each took awhile, none took as long as these.

My thought process is liability, none of the weapons exhibited any of the issues on the recall, but who knows what lies ahead.  I try to be as safe as I can be, but on occasion I let others fire my weapons and I'd hate for there to be an issue.  Now, if a manufacturer is gone bankrupt or some such, then my thinking may change, such as when Remington was having issues, but then I'd opt to take that weapon out of circulation until I could trust the mfg or effect inspection and repair on my own. 

• 2 weeks later...

I called back and "ordered" a G2C.  They said it would be eight (8) weeks, so maybe I'll have it on time for Christmas.

The reset issue on the Curve trigger was not something I was willing to accept.  I'm glad I found that Kirsten Joy Weiss review.  If you short-stroke the trigger, you have to rack the slide to reset the trigger.

9 minutes ago, Ski said:

I called back and "ordered" a G2C.  They said it would be eight (8) weeks, so maybe I'll have it on time for Christmas.

The reset issue on the Curve trigger was not something I was willing to accept.  I'm glad I found that Kirsten Joy Weiss review.  If you short-stroke the trigger, you have to rack the slide to reset the trigger.

I handled a g2c today that a buddy has. They feel pretty nice. I have yet to shoot one though. 

• 2 weeks later...