Ruger Blackhawk vs. Colt New Frontier

Bob Wright

I believe most of you here know that my tastes run to the Single Action revolver.  Seems I've stated something to that effect here.  My preferences run to Single Actions with fine adjustable sights, case hardened frames and eye-catching grips.  Here are two such revolvers, both in .45 Colt, one a Blackhawk and one a New Frontier:

100_8302_zpsp8kobzme.jpg

Both of these have the 4 x/8" barrels, 4 5/8" for the Ruger , and 4 3/4" for the Colt.  In my opinion, the Colt Accro sight is better of the two, having a flat face and all steel construction, though Ruger does now offer all steel.  The Ruger rear sight has a radiused surface that does catch light at times, not as precise as the Colt.  As to Colt's Eliason as on current New Frontiers, it overhangs the hammer a trifle too much to suit me, and can catch the thumb when cocking. 

The wide trigger on the Ruger is much more pleasant to me, as opposed to the narrow trigger of Colts.  And (bite my tongue here) I prefer the XR-3RED grip profile of the Ruger to the Colt's plowhandle grip profile.  I know, I know, the Colt grip is the grip "to fit every hand" but the Ruger just handles recoil a mite better, and is less likely for the cocked hammer spur to dig into the flesh of the shooting hand.

Now here is the same Colt with a .44 Special Ruger Flat Top, even closer to the Colt in size and proportion.  This gun is one of the finest Rugers to come out yet, but it incorporates the Colt grip profile. 

100_8138_zpsyssgefn1.jpg

While I do like the smaller frame, I wish they'd have put the XR-3RED grip on it!

Bob Wright

Edited by Bob Wright
  • Like 7

Every devoted single action pistol man or woman owes it to their selves to own at least one Colt SAA or New Frontier and one Vaquero and an old time Blackhawk...

Thanks for posting the great photo Bob...

single action leroy the pistolerio...

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, leroy said:

Every devoted single action pistol man or woman owes it to their selves to own at least one Colt SAA or New Frontier and one Vaquero and an old time Blackhawk...

Thanks for posting the great photo Bob...

single action leroy the pistolerio...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoook!  Here is my Vaquero:

101_0010.jpg

And, an old time Blackhawk:

100_9995_zpsa62ac1cf.jpg

And a New Frontier:

100_7653_zps973bbc09.jpg

Do I qualify?

Bob Wright

49 minutes ago, leroy said:

• Like 2

When I go to the range with my Bisley, I take my time, get my breathing right, proper grip, correct stance and work on my trigger pull. You only get 5-6 shots before you have to reload so each one has to count.  It's beautiful!  I used my Bisley Vaquero for our companies unofficial pistol competition and won. I had the only revolver, everyone else had semis. Mine is a .357 magnum to match my Henry Big Boy and that's what a shoot in it. That thing gets so hot you burn yourself reloading it. I could iron my shirts with it. I am looking forward to getting a Colt 45 single action but they are very expensive yet if I clean my safe from all the closet queens I could probably buy one.

• Like 1