Golfists....

I really don't know where to put this so.....deal with it. :D

Any golfists on here? I'm trying to find a driving range somewhere around Tullahoma (ish) & I'm drawing a big fat goose egg. 

I've never swung a golf bat in anger & I'm really, really dying to give it a go. I'm not sure that I'd like to play a full game (unless someone is really patient, understanding & so bored silly they'd volunteer to take me....) so I thought that a driving range would at least afford me the opportunity to whack the crap out of a ball or two & see if I have any natural talent for it.

Anyone got any ideas?

If you seriously want to give it a go, spend a little money and get a lesson to start.  It's way easier to start with good habits that will make you play better and make the overall experience much more enjoyable.  You shouldn't need more than 2-3 lessons to get the basics down.  

Start with short irons, not a driver or fairway wood.  Start with a PW or 7 iron and work your way up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, robtattoo said:

I really don't know where to put this so.....deal with it. :D

Any golfists on here? I'm trying to find a driving range somewhere around Tullahoma (ish) & I'm drawing a big fat goose egg. 

I've never swung a golf bat in anger & I'm really, really dying to give it a go. I'm not sure that I'd like to play a full game (unless someone is really patient, understanding & so bored silly they'd volunteer to take me....) so I thought that a driving range would at least afford me the opportunity to whack the crap out of a ball or two & see if I have any natural talent for it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Bad idea!

its a stressful environment, your blood pressure will defiantly rise...

One thing that's great you can drink beer, cuss out load, throw things and its acceptable!!

Drive out past the bowling alley towards the base, your can drive balls on the aedc golf coarse, last time I was there it was like $3 for a bucket of balls.

• Like 1
Bad idea!
its a stressful environment, your blood pressure will defiantly rise...
One thing that's great you can drink beer, cuss out load, throw things and its acceptable!!
Drive out past the bowling alley towards the base, your can drive balls on the aedc golf coarse, last time I was there it was like $3 for a bucket of balls.
Oh wow, that's awesome!!
I mean the beer & swearing thing, obviously. :)

I'll swing by this weekend & see what's what.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

@robtattoo I have an extra set of irons that are just sitting in the closet.  You are welcome to them if you want to use them before you buy a set.

Wow! Thanks Bill.

I'll definitely bear it in mind if I end up shawshanking down this particular rabbit hole. I kinda hope I hate it AND suck at it. I need another hobby like I need a fat fingered colonoscopy....

1 hour ago, robtattoo said:

Wow! Thanks Bill.

I'll definitely bear it in mind if I end up shawshanking down this particular rabbit hole. I kinda hope I hate it AND suck at it. I need another hobby like I need a fat fingered colonoscopy....

You will suck at it but get addicted  You can suck the whole round and then hit one good shot and you are ready to come back and play some more.  It is the most frustrating fun game there is.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

You will suck at it but get addicted  You can suck the whole round and then hit one good shot and you are ready to come back and play some more.  It is the most frustrating fun game there is.

Yep. It just takes that one great shot to keep you coming back. I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like. It gets expensive and life gets in the way a lot.  My kids show occasional interest so time will tell where that goes.  

What Hozzie said... get some basic instruction now. There's 100 different ways to do it, the hard part is finding the one that works for you. You'd be surprised how much you can learn with a pitching wedge in your backyard and a putter on the hallway rug.  

Drive for show, putt for dough. You can't make a birdie with a driver, but you can darn sure make a bogey. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

OK, that was funny. 

Now back to the subject at hand, I have never actually golfed a round, I’ve only been to a driving range a few times and whacked out a couple of balls. It is pretty cool when you get some real good distance on one. 

12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Now back to the subject at hand, I have never actually golfed a round, I’ve only been to a driving range a few times and whacked out a couple of balls. It is pretty cool when you get some real good distance on one. 

Same here.   The last time I whacked the ever-loving #### out of that stupid little ball and the distance was impressive. It did not go straight.  I know it landed on the interstate right next door, just hope it didn’t bust someone’s windshield.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Same here.   The last time I whacked the ever-loving #### out of that stupid little ball and the distance was impressive. It did not go straight.  I know it landed on the interstate right next door, just hope it didn’t bust someone’s windshield.

Speaking as someone who has hit a car while it was driving down the road, it's not nearly as fun as you'd think. 

• Confused 1