[GUN SALES] I don’t email…

DaveTN

What’s up with that? :confused:

Are there people using phones that don’t know how to email from them?

I’m seeing more and more “I don’t email” ad’s. I figure they are a scam. Am I wrong?

I don’t do any gun deals that won’t email. No point in me giving my phone number out until we have, or are close to a deal.

When I see “Text Only” I move on.

Edited by DaveTN

I think it's more of an issue of they believe if the person isn't willing to talk in person, it's more likely to be a scam.  People get scammed over email all of the time.  Less so over the phone on something like this.  I think your When I see "text only" response is the exact same response for many about dealing over email.  Many prefer to simply have a call.  I know I do.  Easier to ask and answer questions quickly on a call vs email or text.

• Like 6
  • Moderators
Just now, Hozzie said:

I think it's more of an issue of they believe if the person isn't willing to talk in person, it's more likely to be a scam.  People get scammed over email all of the time.  Less so over the phone on something like this.  I think your When I see "text only" response is the exact same response for many about dealing over email.  Many prefer to simply have a call.  I know I do.  Easier to ask and answer questions quickly on a call vs email or text.

What he said. 

Is that here  on TGO? Personally, I won't meet anyone in person before I speak to them on the phone. I can get a much better feel for a person over the phone than I can via text or email. When I was trying to sell my car a few months ago I couldn't get this one person to call me. He kept emailing me. NEXT!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Is that here  on TGO? Personally, I won't meet anyone in person before I speak to them on the phone. I can get a much better feel for a person over the phone than I can via text or email. When I was trying to sell my car a few months ago I couldn't get this one person to call me. He kept emailing me. NEXT!

Yes, the vibe you get from voice contact is important, at least to me. Lets us get a feel for the person that emails and texts do not. I know it's no guarantee of safety, nor quality of person, but it helps.

33 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Serious question. Have you ever needed to dig one out? Has anyone you know needed one later?

Yes, a member I sold a gun to in Franklin had his home burglarized and the gun I sold him was stolen. The DA had him come to court to testify that the gun they recovered from the suspect was his; which he did. After the trial the DA refused to give him the gun back without proof of where he bought it.

Now… what the heck?? He is going to use this man’s testimony as evidence to convict someone of burglary, but that same testimony isn’t good enough to prove ownership for return of the gun? That dog don’t hunt.

Had I not had a copy of that BOS to give him, and be willing to come forward as the seller; he would have been out a $1K handgun. It didn't help me; but it helped him.

I also have a C&R, so I need proof of age.

But no, I have not had a gun used in a crime come back to me. But if I do I will gladly tell them who I sold it to. I have no reason to try to hide that information.

• Like 1

Text, email, phone, and BOS or no BOS, if I want it I'll use any means of communication the seller wants.  Of course I don't deal with any sketchy people so have not been scammed, but, I do take precautionary measures to ensure a safe equitable trade.  

11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Yes, a member I sold a gun to in Franklin had his home burglarized and the gun I sold him was stolen. The DA had him come to court to testify that the gun they recovered from the suspect was his; which he did. After the trial the DA refused to give him the gun back without proof of where he bought it.

Now… what the heck?? He is going to use this man’s testimony as evidence to convict someone of burglary, but that same testimony isn’t good enough to prove ownership for return of the gun? That dog don’t hunt.

Had I not had a copy of that BOS to give him, and be willing to come forward as the seller; he would have been out a $1K handgun. It didn't help me; but it helped him.

But no, I have not had a gun used in a crime come back to me. But if I do I will gladly tell them who I sold it to. I have no reason to try to hide that information.

A simple timestamped picture showing the SN is proof enough of ownership, I take them for insurance purposes.  I too keep track of who I do business with, but have only done one BOS.  E-mail or text, even PM traffic can be saved to prove the transaction took place. 

3 minutes ago, Omega said:

A simple timestamped picture showing the SN is proof enough of ownership, I take them for insurance purposes.  I too keep track of who I do business with, but have only done one BOS.  E-mail or text, even PM traffic can be saved to prove the transaction took place. 

You can claim whatever you like will show proof of ownership. I’m just responding to his question about real life circumstances. Everyone has to do whatever they are ready to take responsibility for. I’m not suggesting a BOS be required by law. My requirement helped a guy out; your millage may vary.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Please forgive my ever disappearing memory. After reading this, I realize you've answered this for me before. Sorry.

7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Please forgive my ever disappearing memory. After reading this, I realize you've answered this for me before. Sorry.

No problem. I understand you, and many others, don’t like and won’t sign bills of sale. That’s fine, no harm, no foul. I figure if something doesn’t sell; its price and nothing else. ;)

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

No problem. I understand you, and many others, don’t like and won’t sign bills of sale. That’s fine, no harm, no foul. I figure if something doesn’t sell; its price and nothing else. ;)

I chalk it up to everyone here being a cheap so and so like me.:D

21 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I know, but my BOS is non-negotiable. :)

:eek:

4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

And if the price was right I’d buy your Model 39-2 without a BOS. :)

:rofl:

I got mine on smith-wessonforum.com. You'll see one sell there pretty regularly. A lot of good folks there.

Edited by gregintenn
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I chalk it up to everyone here being a cheap so and so like me.:D

:eek:

:rofl:

I got mine on smith-wessonforum.com. You'll see one sell there pretty regularly.

I know, there are plenty of them on Armslist also, but out of state is such a hassle. I have to get their dealer to send my dealer a copy of their FFL, etc. I already feel guilty about ordering stuff my dealer doesn’t have.

That’s really not true; I don’t feel guilty a bit, :D but hopefully I will find one here locally. I found one awhile back, but the pictures were really lousy, the price was high and the guy said he didn’t have the ability to take better pictures; so I passed.

Just now, DaveTN said:

I know, there are plenty of them on Armslist also, but out of state is such a hassle. I have to get their dealer to send my dealer a copy of their FFL, etc. I already feel guilty about ordering stuff my dealer doesn’t have.

That’s really not true; I don’t feel guilty a bit, :D but hopefully I will find one here locally. I found one awhile back, but the pictures were really lousy, the price was high and the guy said he didn’t have the ability to take better pictures; so I passed.

I've always just emailed or mailed them a copy of my ffl's license, sent payment, and then picked it up at my ffl. Not that big of a hassle, unless you are like me and your ffl is no longer in business.

24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I've always just emailed or mailed them a copy of my ffl's license, sent payment, and then picked it up at my ffl. Not that big of a hassle, unless you are like me and your ffl is no longer in business.

I’m using a fairly new FFL because they are close to work. I sent them a message and they said they need to have a copy off the FFL prior to shipment. Maybe I’ll check around and see if there is some local FFL that doesn’t have that requirement. I have seen several 39-2’s on GB and ArmsList at reasonable prices.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Lot of scammers on armslist, Dave. Be careful.

Yeah I know, I’ve been through it. I have made a couple of deals there though, dealing with locals or locals letting me know where dealers are that have what I want. I’m not sending cash to anyone and hoping a gun shows up at my FFL. But I guess some people do that. :-\

I don't like talking to people on the phone.  A few quick emails or texts then meet up somewhere that's not out off my way if I'm selling.  If I'm buying I usually go towards the seller.  

I had a boat motor for sale a couple of years ago that needed work.  I had it on CL and wound up having very lengthy conversations with at least 3 different individuals.  Asking questions about the motor was fine, but 2 of them we're wanting to work out trades, but never could seem to meet up.  One of them strung me along for 2 months and another for over a month.  I think some people just like to waste other people's time.  Of course I have a knack for winding up with things that are really hard to sell.

On 2/16/2018 at 11:25 AM, DaveTN said:

All good points, and I won’t meet with someone without talking to them on the phone. I just won’t give out my phone number until we are close to a deal. Maybe I’m missing out on some good deals. :)

Set up a Google voice number.  They're free and that's thats linked to my phone so calls/texts don't show my actual cell number.

• Like 3