LIVE PD last night

DaveTN

So I’m watching live PD last night, they have your typical chase and the guy gets out and runs. As I’m watching the Officer close in during the foot pursuit the suspect turns to face him raises his arm and screams “I will shoot you dead!”. I thought they were about to show the first Officer involved shooting on Live PD.

Luckily the Officer was next to a concrete pillar and he took cover and drew down on the suspect. He held him at gun point until his backup arrived. The whole time the guy was yelling “If you handcuff me hard I will kill your family!” among other things.

Backup arrived and this mental case was cuffed to a gurney and taken to the hospital by ambulance.

But man… I was thinking if that cover had not been there; the cop would have shot him. I certainly would have. The suspect was unarmed but pointing his cell phone in the dark while yelling he would shoot the Officer. If the cameraman had not been there it would have been a cop standing over an unarmed dead perp running from a traffic stop. Those two men were certainly very lucky.

If you get a chance watch it and see how fast stuff can go really bad.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So I’m watching live PD last night, they have your typical chase and the guy gets out and runs. As I’m watching the Officer close in during the foot pursuit the suspect turns to face him raises his arm and screams “I will shoot you dead!”. I thought they were about to show the first Officer involved shooting on Live PD.

Luckily the Officer was next to a concrete pillar and he took cover and drew down on the suspect. He held him at gun point until his backup arrived. The whole time the guy was yelling “If you handcuff me hard I will kill your family!” among other things.

Backup arrived and this mental case was cuffed to a gurney and taken to the hospital by ambulance.

But man… I was thinking if that cover had not been there; the cop would have shot him. I certainly would have. The suspect was unarmed but pointing his cell phone in the dark while yelling he would shoot the Officer. If the cameraman had not been there it would have been a cop standing over an unarmed dead perp running from a traffic stop. Those two men were certainly very lucky.

If you get a chance watch it and see how fast stuff can go really bad.

I'd have emptied a magazine as soon as he threatened to kill my family. Yet another reason I couldn't be a policeman.

• Like 1

At what point would it be justified to kill someone for making a threat unless they can act on that threat. People get threatened every single day, are we now justified to shoot someone when some lowlife says he is going to kill you because you won't give them a quarter? Insane what is being passed off as justified any more.

LivePD is nothing more than the desensitizing of the population into believing that it is OK to allow the government to trample on their rights.

If they ask you a question, you MUST answer or go to jail for obstruction. I watched that one pan out on LivePD. They pulled over the driver because he was in a "high drug area". They asked him where he was coming from and when he refused to answer they took him to jail for obstruction. They never found drugs or anything illegal during the search incident to arrest but he was still taken to jail. The officer briefed the camera saying he was being charged with felony obstruction for not answering the officer's questions.

You have the right to remain silent but only AFTER you have been arrested. Before that you can be tossed in jail for keeping your mouth shut.

A lady was pulled over for sitting in a parking lot putting on her makeup. She refused their request to search her car. They asked her if she had medication in the car, she said she did. The officers said they needed to get the medication AND search the car. She refused to let them search but offered to get the medication. The officers refused to let her get the medication to verify it was legal but held her there for like 30 minutes saying she wasn't allowed to get into the car until AFTER the officers left. The officers said the lady might pull out a gun and shoot all seven of the officers if they let her get in her car first.

I have seen numerous searches started because the officer said "You look nervous". Even if the driver said they weren't nervous the officer made them get out of the car so they could search because "You look nervous so you must be breaking the law". The officer is able to tell whether the person they just met for the first time is nervous in the first 30 seconds of making contact, BS. They get briefed, as I did, in how to lead and make statements to support what you want to happen.

I was idling around in a parking lot looking for a spot. I didn't come to a complete stop at the white line at the end of a row. There was an officer sitting, stationary about 100 feet away. The officer pulled me over stating I did not come to a complete stop at the white line. I told him it wasn't a stop sign. His response was that I almost t-boned him. I laughed and said he was half way across the parking lot. He gave me a hard stare and said I better be careful or I might get in trouble for trying to kill an officer next time. This all happened on private property at a local grocery store.

Anymore anything a person does is "suspicious" and is probable cause to violate someone's rights.

It is funny watching all the officers crowd the car looking, and peering, into the car like some peeping tom trying to get a glimpse of some skin. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

At what point would it be justified to kill someone for making a threat unless they can act on that threat. People get threatened every single day, are we now justified to shoot someone when some lowlife says he is going to kill you because you won't give them a quarter? Insane what is being passed off as justified any more.

LivePD is nothing more than the desensitizing of the population into believing that it is OK to allow the government to trample on their rights.

If they ask you a question, you MUST answer or go to jail for obstruction. I watched that one pan out on LivePD. They pulled over the driver because he was in a "high drug area". They asked him where he was coming from and when he refused to answer they took him to jail for obstruction. They never found drugs or anything illegal during the search incident to arrest but he was still taken to jail. The officer briefed the camera saying he was being charged with felony obstruction for not answering the officer's questions.

You have the right to remain silent but only AFTER you have been arrested. Before that you can be tossed in jail for keeping your mouth shut.

A lady was pulled over for sitting in a parking lot putting on her makeup. She refused their request to search her car. They asked her if she had medication in the car, she said she did. The officers said they needed to get the medication AND search the car. She refused to let them search but offered to get the medication. The officers refused to let her get the medication to verify it was legal but held her there for like 30 minutes saying she wasn't allowed to get into the car until AFTER the officers left. The officers said the lady might pull out a gun and shoot all seven of the officers if they let her get in her car first.

I have seen numerous searches started because the officer said "You look nervous". Even if the driver said they weren't nervous the officer made them get out of the car so they could search because "You look nervous so you must be breaking the law". The officer is able to tell whether the person they just met for the first time is nervous in the first 30 seconds of making contact, BS. They get briefed, as I did, in how to lead and make statements to support what you want to happen.

I was idling around in a parking lot looking for a spot. I didn't come to a complete stop at the white line at the end of a row. There was an officer sitting, stationary about 100 feet away. The officer pulled me over stating I did not come to a complete stop at the white line. I told him it wasn't a stop sign. His response was that I almost t-boned him. I laughed and said he was half way across the parking lot. He gave me a hard stare and said I better be careful or I might get in trouble for trying to kill an officer next time. This all happened on private property at a local grocery store.

Anymore anything a person does is "suspicious" and is probable cause to violate someone's rights.

It is funny watching all the officers crowd the car looking, and peering, into the car like some peeping tom trying to get a glimpse of some skin. 

Probably wouldn't hold up in court, but I expect anyone making such a threat would be capable of following through with it.

8 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

At what point would it be justified to kill someone for making a threat unless they can act on that threat. 

At the point that a reasonable person (Judge or jury) in that same circumstance would believe they were in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm.

Pointing something at someone (Cop or private citizen) in the dark and screaming “I will shoot you dead!!” would meet that requirement. You don’t have to wait to see the muzzle flash.

• Like 4

Well, I'm all for protection of everyone's rights. If someone tells me they do not give consent to search, then I don't have consent. If I don't have probable cause, I'm just outta there. The fouth amendment is there for a reason. If someone doesn't want to talk to me, well the fifth amendment is there for a reason. I'm all for the protection of people's rights. Those rights include my rights. I, just like everyone else, has a right to be anywhere without having to be in fear because some pos is threatening to shoot me. I have a right to keep myself and my family alive just like everyone else does. And that's what I'm going to do. I don't have to wait for the flash coming out of the end of the barrel to start trying to figure out how to keep from offending him after he's threatened to shoot me.

All that being said, I do believe that in the areas of personal rights and privacy a lot of lines are being crossed. A great many of us police officers are still out here working to make sure that people's rights are NOT trampled. We're supposed to be working FOR the citizens, not trying to keep the citizens controlled and under thumb. Citizens of this country have a right to be able to go out and work for a living (foreign concept I guess) and not have to worry about these worthless thugs breaking in while they're gone and raping, murdering, and stealing. But these rotten thugs are what this rotten society wants to protect, instead of the good people. 

Maybe we should return to old fashioned values. I do believe that a lot of the things being done out here on the streets of this country amount to tyranny. Whether it's some police chief, sheriff, fire marshal, mayor, county executive, senator etc., a good deal of them seem to be interested in one thing - power. And they want to do whatever they can to keep it and lord it over everyone. That whole short list of people there (only a fraction of the whole list) has one thing in common - they are supposed to be working FOR the people. But instead, so many times when someone is given the slightest bit of power they turn into little tyrants and work against the people and lord it over them. Is this true in all cases? No it is not. And the ones practicing such things need to be held accountable and face the consequences. 

But what is still bewildering to me is the fact that when you have a circumstance such as the one described in the OP, you no longer have in this society a loud voice of the people raising a public outcry against these thugs threatening to shoot people ( or even when they do shoot people), but instead there's usually an outcry from someone trying to make sure the thugs are protected. 

Do some cops act like tyrants and violate people's rights? Sure they do. And it grates on my skin. So let's put a stop to it. But let's also put a stop to the criminals out here violating people's rights.

Or maybe we should just return to these days: 

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, res308 said:

Well, I'm all for protection of everyone's rights. If someone tells me they do not give consent to search, then I don't have consent. If I don't have probable cause, I'm just outta there. The fouth amendment is there for a reason. If someone doesn't want to talk to me, well the fifth amendment is there for a reason. I'm all for the protection of people's rights. Those rights include my rights. I, just like everyone else, has a right to be anywhere without having to be in fear because some pos is threatening to shoot me. I have a right to keep myself and my family alive just like everyone else does. And that's what I'm going to do. I don't have to wait for the flash coming out of the end of the barrel to start trying to figure out how to keep from offending him after he's threatened to shoot me.

All that being said, I do believe that in the areas of personal rights and privacy a lot of lines are being crossed. A great many of us police officers are still out here working to make sure that people's rights are NOT trampled. We're supposed to be working FOR the citizens, not trying to keep the citizens controlled and under thumb. Citizens of this country have a right to be able to go out and work for a living (foreign concept I guess) and not have to worry about these worthless thugs breaking in while they're gone and raping, murdering, and stealing. But these rotten thugs are what this rotten society wants to protect, instead of the good people. 

Maybe we should return to old fashioned values. I do believe that a lot of the things being done out here on the streets of this country amount to tyranny. Whether it's some police chief, sheriff, fire marshal, mayor, county executive, senator etc., a good deal of them seem to be interested in one thing - power. And they want to do whatever they can to keep it and lord it over everyone. That whole short list of people there (only a fraction of the whole list) has one thing in common - they are supposed to be working FOR the people. But instead, so many times when someone is given the slightest bit of power they turn into little tyrants and work against the people and lord it over them. Is this true in all cases? No it is not. And the ones practicing such things need to be held accountable and face the consequences. 

But what is still bewildering to me is the fact that when you have a circumstance such as the one described in the OP, you no longer have in this society a loud voice of the people raising a public outcry against these thugs threatening to shoot people ( or even when they do shoot people), but instead there's usually an outcry from someone trying to make sure the thugs are protected. 

Do some cops act like tyrants and violate people's rights? Sure they do. And it grates on my skin. So let's put a stop to it. But let's also put a stop to the criminals out here violating people's rights.

Or maybe we should just return to these days: 

You just earned a ton of respect and admiration from me.:hat:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Bah, curmudgeonly old fart like the rest of us!

Yep, that's why I was a-complimentin' the ole boy. :dirty: 

Curmudgeonly ole farts are the only folks I get along with nowadays.

But seriously the guy knows everything! I wish he lived closer to me. I'd be trying to pick his brain so much he'd  probably have to run me off from his house.:shrug:

Edited by res308
  • Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, res308 said:

Yep, that's why I was a-complimentin' the ole boy. :dirty: 

Curmudgeonly ole farts are the only folks I get along with nowadays.

But seriously the guy knows everything! I wish he lived closer to me. I'd be trying to pick his brain so much he'd  probably have to run me off from his house.:shrug:

I've got a phone and been accused of talking too much at times.

I don't know a lot, matter of fact I probably know a lot less than most. I seem like I am smart fellow because of who I surround myself with. I learned a long time ago that a man is at his smartest when he surrounds himself by those that are smarter than himself. Anyone who thinks they are the smartest person in the room is probably the dumbest of the bunch or at least that has been my observation.

I haven't seen the LivePD episode, perhaps if I had I would have felt differently. I have had a number of people who have threatened to kill me. A few I have taken seriously but never enough to shoot someone first. I was once told there is a difference between being justified on paper and being justified in your mind. And while he might have been justified on paper it is his mind that will let him know if he was truly justified. I agree you shouldn't have to wait for a muzzle flash before you can respond but just because it was justified doesn't mean it was right. From the sounds of it this officer acted exactly how he should have. LE has a tough job today and I have the upmost respect for those that do it every day providing they do it out of trying to protect instead of trying to control the community they serve. 

I was reading about grass the other day because our yard is a mud pit again from all the rain. I thought there had to be a kind of grass that would prevent it. And while reading I came across an article, not about Tennessee, that requires home owners to only use certain types of grass and failure to do so could result in fines and jail time. At what point have we let our government dictate the type of grass we can have and worse yet allow them to throw us in jail for planting the wrong kind of grass.

• Like 3