First time selling firearms

pgb205

I have several firearms that I've decided to part ways with. I've never went through the process of selling guns before and would like to do this in person instead of going over the internet.

What would be the best way to handle this for someone in South East TN. Specifically which store/pawn/range would you recommend in this area that would treat me right. I don't necessarily

mean give me good price for the guns, but rather make sure that all the paperwork is done correctly and generally someone who would be willing to answer my questions.

thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Welcome.  If you're selling your gun to a store there won't be any paperwork other than the store recording your name and ID in case the gun turns out to be stolen.  But any store will give you less than you could get selling the gun to another TN citizen, which is perfectly legal in TN.  You'll see that the classifieds here contain many listings for guns, because it's legal way to sell guns to like-minded people.  

I'm confident that any question you could think up would be answered accurately and at no charge right here.

Cheers,

Whisper

No paperwork is required by law on private sale between Tennessee residents. It is your responsibility to know they are a Tennessee resident, are of age, and are not known by you to be banned from legally owning a gun.

However, you certainly can go through an FFL transfer if you want to pay the fees. Most any FFL will do it.

It's pretty straightforward. Find a buyer who is a TN resident who isn't known to you to be barred from possessing firearms. They give you cash. You give them the gun. Done. That really is all that's required by law. there isn't any required paperwork at all. I know. It seemed crazy to me my first time through it too.

A Bill of Sale is optional. Some buyers and some sellers (sometimes both) want a bill of sale. You can find a simple one with a Google search. Some buyers won't buy without one. Others won't buy with one. Be sure to have 2 copies if both parties want one.

Some people require the buyer to show them a TN Handgun Carry Permit. This isn't required by law, but it helps the seller know the person is a TN resident and isn't a person prohibited from owning  firearms.

In rare cases, one party will want an FFL (gun dealer) involved. That means you take it to the local gun shop/pawn shop. They'll do a background check on the buyer and run the serial number. That comes at a price in the form a fee to the FFL dealer.

Whatever you decide, be sure to make your requirements clear before agreeing to any sale. It sucks when a person who won't do a bill of sale shows up at a deal and the other party suddenly discloses they have to have one. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Personally, I only sell to people I know or people who have a good iTrader rating or long history here in TGO. I'll do a Bill of Sale if the buyer wants one, but I don't usually require one. I do like to see an HCP or at least a TN drivers license.

The usual on-line buying and selling advice applies here. Be sure to meet up in a public place. Many police stations have an area for on-line buyers and sellers to meet up. Check with yours to see if they do and if they're OK with lawful person-to-person firearms sales. Not too many would-be thieves are eager to meet up at a police station parking lot. Some folks like to meet up at a local firing range if you don't mind them shooting the guns before buying. IME, that's not common, but not unheard of either. I ALWAYS speak with the buyer or seller over the phone once we have a deal setup online. You can often (but not always) detect if something's hinky with a direct conversation. That's true of all of my online deals, not just firearms.

Edited by monkeylizard
Have a yard sale.
I like to sell on the classifieds here. I've met some really great people doing that.

This! All my experiences of dealing with people on here have been great (and gained some new friends as well)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done quite well both buying and selling on Armslist.com. You can post an ad for free and specifically target your local area. As said, meet in a public place and confirm all details before meeting.  I do require a bill of sale which includes both buyer and sellers full name, address and driver's license number. I also check ID to insure all info is correct. Its a;ways a good idea to be able to prove where it came from or where it went. ;)

Of course its even easier to just post it in the classifieds here. besides, you know the members are good folks. :up:

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
On 2/17/2018 at 8:35 PM, Whisper said:

.... But any store will give you less than you could get selling the gun to another TN citizen....

Generally, WAAAAYYY less.d

Depending on exactly what you have, likely  worth the small investment to become benefactor here so can sell through TGO.

- OS

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here lately I have been putting guns on consignment at a gun shop. While I know the guy well, most shops offer consignment programs. The rate at my place is 10% or $35 if you are asking less than $350.

Edited by Patton

I've used Armslist quite a bit, mostly buying.   I've had good experiences but I stick to face-to-face transactions.  I'm not interested in mailing the gun and payment back and forth, and I say so in the ad.  The scam potential is way too high for all that.   

If I'm going to go interstate, I use Gunbroker.   At least there is a feedback system that gives you a bit of security.