Fishing line?

14 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I love Suffix 832 ghost braid in 6#.

It’s definitely my go to line for light tackle. 

Thank you.  I thought there would be a preferred braid. Can you suggest a vendor with decent pricing? (1000-3000 yds.)

• Admin Team

I usually just order from Amazon. I try to support my local mom and pops whenever I can, but I also generally buy 1500m spools which is something they almost never stock.  

Incidentally, the smaller test line is the only stuff where I’ve stuck with a major manufacturer - and that’s only because I’ve not tested other stuff yet.  For 20, 30, and 50 pound braid I’ve moved almost exclusively to generic KastKing brand for about 1/4 cost of PowerPro.  I actually like it a little better, as it seems to have better abrasion resistance.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

I've had good luck with "SpiderWire" in the lighter tests. Though I think that may be primarily monofilament.

No spyder wire is more akin to braid.  Lasts much longer.  Mono deteriorates much quicker, with spyder lasting much longer without losing strength.  Also doesn’t twist as badly, less memory.  Therefore no need to buy in bulk.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2018 at 8:55 PM, MacGyver said:

I usually just order from Amazon. I try to support my local mom and pops whenever I can, but I also generally buy 1500m spools which is something they almost never stock.  

Incidentally, the smaller test line is the only stuff where I’ve stuck with a major manufacturer - and that’s only because I’ve not tested other stuff yet.  For 20, 30, and 50 pound braid I’ve moved almost exclusively to generic KastKing brand for about 1/4 cost of PowerPro.  I actually like it a little better, as it seems to have better abrasion resistance.  

I've seen that Kastking online but I've never trusted it enough to try it, I've been a power pro guy for years.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I prefer braid on most of my reels because of the lack of stretch - and thus the sensitivity in feeling bites.  

Line twist can be a problem with braid if not managed appropriately. 

While I generally find good abrasion resistance with modern braid, it’s worth keeping an eye on the business end of your line and trimming as needed.  

I generally still tip my braid with a fluorocarbon leader.  

You need a different set of knots for braid - it’s slippery stuff and quite capable of cutting through itself - and you if you’re not careful.  

• Like 1
On 2/18/2018 at 7:33 PM, R_Bert said:

So, after more years than I like to admit, my 3000-yd. spool of forest-green Berkley Trilene XL  is running out.

What is the go-to line nowadays for light tackle ?  (I was using 6-lb test)

Thanks, Bert

If I want a light line I use the Trout magnet SOS line in 2 or 4 pound, both have worked very well for me over the last few years.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
9 minutes ago, XxthejuicexX said:

I've seen that Kastking online but I've never trusted it enough to try it, I've been a power pro guy for years.

I was PowetPro only for years until I had $300 of it in my cart one day.  

While it was a little thicker early on, KastKing always tested at least to it’s weight rating - and occasionally a good bit higher.  

Over the last year or two, they’ve improved a lot in little areas.  The diameter has gone down.  The color stays pretty fast.  And the abrasion resistance actually seems better than PowerPro.  

I’d be glad to spool up one of your reels if you want to bring one by one day so you can test it out.  

After trying them side by side, I really don’t even think about it anymore.  It’s at least the same quality in the weights I use.  

4 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I was PowetPro only for years until I had $300 of it in my cart one day.  

While it was a little thicker early on, it’s always tested at least to it’s weight rating - and occasionally a good bit higher.  

Over the last year or two, they’ve improved a lot in little areas.  The diameter has gone down.  The color stays pretty fast.  And the abrasion resistance actually seems better than PowerPro.  

I’d be glad to spool up one of your reels if you want to bring one by one day so you can test it out.  

After trying them side by side, I really don’t even think about it anymore.  It’s at least the same quality in the weights I use.  

I'm guessing you use the super power line? It's priced pretty well compared to power pro. The other two lines seem to be about the same. I need to order some 30lb so I may just spend the money and try it.

Wow, I'm in the dark ages when it comes to fishing line. The last line I bought was Stren, Trilene, & Cortland Camo Braided, that's a looonnng time ago.

I used to fish Muskies, Walleyes Bass & Spring Crappies. I have a bunch of Ambassadeur Reels, 5500c, 6500c, 2500c's, Fenwick,Browning,Lews, etc rods.

4 or 5 Tackle Boxes loaded.

Who knows, maybe I'll fish again someday..

Edited by AuEagle

Before my kids started sports I was heavy into tournament fishing...they are 21 and 22 now so it has been awhile.  I used to be very satisfied with Berkley Powerline Fireline (Braid) and P-Line (Mono) for light line applications.  Braid requires quality rod eyes so as not to cut/groove them and the P-Line is prone to twist on open face spinners if your take up bearing isn't lubed well.  Both have little to no stretch, excellent knot strength when using polimar knots.  Just don't set the hook too hard or you will hurt your wrist due to the no stretch part.  That was probably more info than you wanted/needed but I got on a roll.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 1

So, I went by Clinton Walmart today (getting tires put on the Xterra).

Not much in fishing line - SpiderWire was about it in 6 lb test. Trilene XL - 20 lbs. & up. 

Walmart is not even trying to cater to fishing (but their Clinton tire services are downright excellent).