Trump urges ban on 'bump stocks,' other gun modifiers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/20/trump-urges-ban-on-bump-stocks-other-gun-modifiers.html

Published February 20, 2018

President Trump on Tuesday directed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to craft new regulations to ban firearm modifiers including the “bump stock” used in the Las Vegas massacre, amid bipartisan calls to strengthen gun restrictions in the wake of recent shooting rampages.

During an event at the White House, the president announced he signed a memo ordering the regulations on “bump stocks” and told Sessions he wants new federal guidelines finalized “very soon.”

Trump wrote in the memo, “Although the Obama administration repeatedly concluded that particular bump stock type devices were lawful to purchase and possess, I sought further clarification of the law restricting fully automatic machineguns.”

During Tuesday’s press briefing, the White House said the president opposes the “bump stock” rifle modifier, which make semi-automatic firearms fire faster.

“I can tell you the president supports not having the use of bump stocks and that we expect further action on that in the coming days,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Tuesday.

Sanders added that the president had ordered the Justice Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to review the regulation of bump stocks after a gunman opened fire on concert-goers on the Las Vegas strip in October, killing more than 50 people. 

“My understanding is that review has been completed and movement will take place on that shortly,” Sanders said.

In the wake of last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 people, Sanders said Trump plans to host parents, teachers and students on Wednesday to discuss “efforts to ensure safety at our schools.” Among those attending will be members of the Parkland community and those affected by the Sandy Hook and Columbine school shootings, the White House added.

Liberals have renewed calls for new gun control measures after last week’s shooting. Trump, who was backed by the NRA during the 2016 election, has expressed support for the Second Amendment and has said he’s against reflexive gun control measures that wouldn’t make a difference.

Sanders said the White House hasn’t “closed the door on any front” and suggested the president would back improving the federal background check system.

“The president has expressed his support for efforts to improve the federal background system and in the coming days we will continue to explore ways to ensure the safety and security of our schools,” she said.

There's a bad moon on the rise...look out for serious semi auto troubles, Republicans fear loosing the house, so they will try to take the initiative to "do something" in the wake of the latest schools shooting, the only thing that might slow it down is if the Democrats fight it so as to not allow "something" on Republican's watch.

Ban on bump stocks is an admission that it is indeed "the gun" that is the problem.  The left will simply use this as logical admission from that right  that guns which fire "fast" should be banned.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, JayC said:

I don't see how many regulation on the matter will survive a challenge is court, the NFA clearly doesn't prohibit bump stocks, or binary triggers...

Really?  You think current Constitutionality actually means something?  Any State can prohibit anything they want, and then it IS Constitutional.  Hang around and watch your General Assembly...

Imho, unless there's some gloriously deadly global pandemic, you may as well prepare for ongoing successful legislation that will curb our rights. Too many bodies and diminishing resources demand governments control the herd.

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

But don’t forget, they’re still counting on your vote later this year...

Yep, they are... Gordon and several others warned this was coming. It doesn't take much to open that gate.

Prayers remain for the lives lost, but Prayers also to save our God Given Rights. There are far too many intentions in the current "Unintended Consequences" for my liking. 

• Like 1

It’s never been a question of “if” further regulations or actual laws would be enacted, but “when”.

Bump stocks are being sacrificed by our “pro gun” president that everyone had faith in, but that is a discussion for an altogether  other place.  ;)

Th ATF could regulate them out tomorrow if they wanted, regardless of previous opinions.  Who’s got the juice to fight it all the way to the Supreme Court? The manufacturers sure don’t and the NRA is not going to fight it.

My concern at this point is the rather loose wording of some of the bump stock bills being introduced, and those still in limbo from last fall.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I said the day of the shooting this will likely be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

We are about to get really screwed so now, and especially in November, is the time to get pissed and vote every single incumbent out our lives. And do it every single election cycle because we MUST clear out the corrupt politicians in Washington, our very lives could depend on it. If they come after our guns we will have to make a choice, become a felon and protect yourself or give up your guns and become a victim.

Those in Washington haven't listened to "the people" in at least a generation and probably two. They have enslaved an entire generation of people with welfare, they have destroyed another with victimhood, and yet another will become criminals overnight if we cannot clear out those in Washington who are career politicians.

We are being controlled by a ruling party. They give us the choices, we never want, to pick from. Think about it I cannot think of an election where the majority of people I have talked to said "he is a great candidate", it is often "he is the best of the worst". We are now paying the price for voting along party lines instead of voting your conscience.

They better be careful, if they try to trim too much from the tree of liberty we might just see it die.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Well damn! If you can't trust a politician, who can you trust?:rolleyes:

I've about decided that it is bad juju for one party to control the house, senate, and the presidency.:wall:

The same can be said for the state level government as well. Remember how good things were for gun owners getting good bills passed when Bredesen was governor? 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I am curious about the following things:

1) Hearing how many of the Pro Trump people "justify" this stance from the standpoint that since they don't own anything like a bump stock it's ok to them, and as long as they can still own their hunting rifles Trump is the best.

2) Seeing just how many voters Trump loses upcoming election due to this and any possible further opinions/decisions.

3) Seeing if this goes anywhere. It is possible that either legislation fails or the ATF refuses to reinterpret everything. Which, thinking critically, is a problem within itself; That the ATF or other agency can reinterpret existing laws and essentially change the meaning and thus enforcement of the current law without legislation.

Me personally, if it were just bump stocks, I'd never miss them. But since I know it won't stop there, I know that four ight is currently there (bump stocks and "gun modifiers". I'll probably get around to writing our politicians some letters to go unread and throw some money to GOA.

In a way I think the worst thing last election for gun owners was that Trump was elected. I think of it this way: Obama was president for 8 years. He had basically event after event (shooting after shooting) to rally everyone behind. He effectively accomplished zero regarding firearm legislation. If a Democratic President couldn't effectively do anything after Sandy Hook, why should we allow a Republican President with Republican House and Senate to do anything now? It's preposterous.

Now, since Trump is President, the majority of your gun owners are sailing smoothly since they don't have to oppose "The big bad Obama" any longer. As such, everyone is complacent. Which means, fewer people donating to GOA/NRA, fewer people writing letters to politicians, fewer people caring generally. I think I'm more concerned that something negative is coming down the tubes for us gun owners under Trump than I was under Obama. Under Obama, most gun owners united together and attempted to protect each other's rights instead of just the rights they personally cared about. Now we will have too many gun owners giving in and giving up since they personally do not own any of these "gun modifiers". 

However, I do have a few questions for those slightly older than I. What was the deal about the hellfire triggers and the like from the 80's or 90's? I wasn't alive or was too young to remember most of those years, but wasn't there a multitude of "machine gun like" firing devices at one point that were in some form or fashion banned? Also, why is the Street Sweeper a Destructive Device when there are many equal shotguns on the market today.

25 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Can't wait for the Trump supporters to spin this into a win for us or maybe even blame Hillary. 

I've been a Trump supporter, but won't attempt to defend this. I can only defend what I think it right and good. Does that let the wind out of your sails a bit?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I've been a Trump supporter, but won't attempt to defend this. I can only defend what I think it right and good. Does that let the wind out of your sails a bit?

I always appreciate your posts even when we don't agree. Glad to hear You say this.

Frustrating. I won’t defend trump on this either. I don’t have a desire to own a bump fire, but he shouldn’t give them a foot in the door to the 2A either. Boo on him for this. I can only imagine what hillary would be calling for if she had won, so I’m still thinkful that she’s not president. This doesn’t look good on him though

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Moderators

I myself just joined GOA as a lifetime member. It's $500 but can be split up into payments quarterly. It was only $50 tonight. I'll get around to paying the rest over the next few months. It's easy to do and probably took me about five minutes.

http://gunowners.co/life-membership

$500 is the cost of a gun, but I signed up so that hopefully my kids will someday have the right to buy a gun as well. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
I myself just joined GOA as a lifetime member. It's $500 but can be split up into payments quarterly. It was only $50 tonight. I'll get around to paying the rest over the next few months. It's easy to do and probably took me about five minutes.
http://gunowners.co/life-membership
$500 is the cost of a gun, but I signed up so that hopefully my kids will someday have the right to buy a gun as well. 
I did a lifetime membership earlier this afternoon. As you said well worth that. Lord knows we need somebody fighting for our rights.