A Sad Day. Billie Graham is Gone.

As a reformed Baptist who is now more or less a Deist Graham was one of the few televangelists who I could stand.  I didn't agree with him on everything but I do think he was genuinely a good person as opposed to a scam artist.  Heck, though, the man was 99.  He had a good run!

Edited by JAB
  • Admin Team

I saw Graham once in person - maybe around 2000.  It was a neat experience.

I've always appreciated his humility.  So much so, that I wouldn't even rank him amongst the televangelists that came and went throughout his career.  He certainly had his failings - and I've heard him reflect on learning from those.  

The kingdom lost a great worker today.

• Like 3

Just to cover all the facets of the man, let's not forget about the disparaging statements about Jews with Nixon in White House, and his denial saying them, which of course was proven to be a lie years later when the tapes were released.

Also, I was among the protesters at the Graham/Nixon/Neyand Stadium fiasco in 1970.

Use of state university property for religion, and then mix into the religion the political stumping to boot, all at the height of the Vietnam protests,  whole thing was shameless.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2018/02/21/protests-and-progress-nixon-visit-put-knoxville-national-stage/358244002/

Few of our heroes have feet totally devoid of clay.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Few of our heroes have feet totally devoid of clay.

I can't think of a single hero spotless.  As stated he wasn't perfect by any means.  Unfortunately many want to think of "heroes" as spotless when it just isn't possible.

One less candle in the darkness, one less voice crying out, one less beacon in the storm. He was not perfect but his Lord is and Billy spent a lifetime pointing others to Him. Billy Graham did what he knew what he had to do and said what he had to say....... worldwide. God put His message in an earthen pot with cracks and flaws in it and reached millions upon millions of people through an ordinary man. So I have a question, that I ask myself, how bright is your candle?

• Like 1
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, ArmyBrat61 said:

One less candle in the darkness, one less voice crying out, one less beacon in the storm. He was not perfect but his Lord is and Billy spent a lifetime pointing others to Him. Billy Graham did what he knew what he had to do and said what he had to say....... worldwide. God put His message in an earthen pot with cracks and flaws in it and reached millions upon millions of people through an ordinary man. So I have a question, that I ask myself, how bright is your candle?

Your last sentence is all that matters.  My sister-in-law sent a text stating how would you like to be next in line behind Billy at the Pearly gates waiting for your rewards.  We all can do much more to help mankind than we do.  I know I fall way, way, way short.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Your last sentence is all that matters.  My sister-in-law sent a text stating how would you like to be next in line behind Billy at the Pearly gates waiting for your rewards.  We all can do much more to help mankind than we do.  I know I fall way, way, way short.

Believe me, you're not alone.

59 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

I know I do.