What is wrong with me?!?!

res308

I thought I had it figured out. The pistol for me. The "I don't CARE what other people want, or what's popular, it's for ME" pistol. I'm equipped with some good revolvers which I'll never let go of. So that niche is covered. Good to go.

I had grown completely weary of Glocks, my oldest son wanted a Glock, so I gave him two. Good to go.

Now to figure out what I want for ME. Borrowed his Beretta 92. Loved it. Carried it for a while. Thought "I'll go this route." Bought a Beretta 92G Elite II. "THIS is PURDY! This is the one for me!" 

Is it?

So why can't I get away from the constant siren's call of the 1911?

I can't stand this much longer.

• Like 1

I can relate. Bought my first handgun ever in July 2011. (Ruger LCR) Since then I have purchased 20 "perfect" pistols. Sold most to buy others. I have ended up with 7 and am committed to getting down to 3, period. Spent nearly $25,000 on everything. Guns, ammo, gear, memberships, and accessories. Fortunately, I have come to my senses. Three will give me a carry, competition, and home defense option. That's all I should , will, need. As for a 1911, I don't get the fascination other people have. My Sig 1911 Nightmare looked great but was far more difficult to maintain than any of my other handguns.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with you that a shooting session with a rented 1911 @ an indoor range( might help soothe your Desire ).. Buddy up ! Take a friend to help share the fuel expense and provide some company on the way home . If you were in E Tn I would be glad to take you to a local range & let you try one out .Of course, I enjoy revolvers too. Maybe you can enlighten me about Colt vs S&W values. Good Luck scratchin' your Itch !

4 hours ago, Raoul said:

The 1911 is what all pistols aspire to be. Just buy one and get it over with. You'll thank me later.

Oh, and everybody needs a 92 or a 96....

I agree with you...except for that last part. Just not a Beretta person. I just can't seem to like them enough to keep one. I've owned several, but they always leave me from lack of use.

The only one I've kept is a Desert Storm Commemorative.

The only person who was able to improve on the 1911 was John Browning.  The HP35 combined his linkless breech locking and fixed barrel bushing with the Savage double column magazine.

The only thing modern pistols added was the Walther double-action trigger.

The Glock striker was copied from the 1907 Roth.  Plastic frames we're copied from H&K. 

There is a reason his parents named him John MOSES Browning.  He led us to the greatest personal weapons in history!

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

I have plastic guns and actually like most of them. I also like 1911's....probably cause it's what I was raised on and carried most of my life. Old habits die hard. For me they are still the most accurate and fun to shoot pistols. As far as difficult to maintain  I find it not so much if you've been doing it for over 40 years.445577804.jpg

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Like 4

I have two 1911s, but none have the round count of my 9mm or .40 calibers.  I don't get the appeal, at least not for carry, they are large, heavy and have a low magazine capacity.  And to top it all off, they kick enough to bring you off your target where you have to force it back down.  Don't take this as me hating them, I don't, but since the military I have not carried a 1911, range only.  My Kimber has a great trigger, and I can put steel on target with it so would have no issue using it for SD purposes if I had to, it's just not my go-to EDC.

9mm 1911s are a lot of fun too.   I tend to shoot them a lot more frequently than my .45s.     And when you get tired of single stacks, you can pick up a 2011 in 9mm that gives you twice the fun per magazine.  Decent 2011s aren't cheap, but you'll ask yourself why you waited so long when you finally get one.

I wanted a 1911.  I found a cure for that - I bought one and that got me over wanting one really quickly.  Granted mine was just an ATI model but it was nice looking.  Regardless of the problems with that, specific pistol I also came to realize that I am not crazy about the platform, in general.  Don't get me wrong - I'll jump at the chance to shoot someone else's 1911.  Thing is, I have decided that 1911s are like children - I like them best when they belong to other people who will be taking them home at the end of the day.  I traded the one I had for a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum and am much happier.

My problem is kind of the opposite of yours.  I have found the 'I don't care what others think this is the one for me' carry gun.  For me it is a snubnosed revolver - right now a S&W 642.  The make/model of the gun I carry most may change in the future but I doubt the basic platform will.  My problem is that, although I certainly don't have a large collection of firearms based on what some, other folks on here have I simply can't think of too many that I still want.  I mean, I would like to have a Ruger SP101 as a match for my GP100 and I wouldn't mind having a lever gun in .357 but that is about it - and I'm not really even actively looking for either of those.  Literally every firearm I have seen from this year's SHOT show so far (with the possibly exception of the new Marlin lever .357 carbines although I'd rather have an older, used one) has left me saying, "Meh.  Not interested."

Edited by JAB

The first handgun I ever fired was a Army issue 1911A1. I also qualified Expert that same day. For me the 1911 is a natural. Fits me to a "T". :up:

I do have other guns that I carry from time to time. Most notably some excellent revolvers as I have a great love for them too.  But the majority of the time, its a lightweight Commander in .45 acp that's on my hip. Mainly because I can hit what I aim at with it. :D

Greg...

RE: "The 1911 siren song".... It happens with all real pistoleros Brother... It did with me years ago (...in the 70's and 80's...)... I reloaded and burned lotsa powder thru em with round nose hardball... I carried a gubmt model and a commander as well... Grew to like the LW commanders better than any of the others...

Don't carry em anymore... Too old and curmudgeonly to do so, and the Colts are too valuable to carry...

Sadly, i think time has passed em by, like that great old killer the SAA and the great Smith "N" frames... Havin said all that, it is my belief that every finished pistolero owes it to themselves to own and learn to shoot proficiently the great 1911... Preferably a genuine Colt Gubmt Model...

Remember, Brothers n Sisters, the 1911 was birthed as a cavalry pistol to replace that greatest of pistols ever, the Colt SAA... There are tales of the old troopers refusin to turn their beloved SAA's for the newfangled 1911, as well as tales of em rawhiding down the grip safety on em to make sure they went off when they needed to... The "Cocked n Locked" thing came after the calvary died... The old timers carried em hammer down or on the half cock and cocked em to shoot ALA the old SAA... They put the safety on after the shootin was over... HEHEHE...

calvary leroy, the lefty 1911 pistolero....

• Like 4

And just to be clear on the 1911, I've owned quite a few of them. Just don't own one right now. I do love the fact that I can tinker with them. Whenever I've brought one home the very first thing that happenes is that it winds up on my table with everything but the sights stripped out of it. I love doing that. And it makes it worse. The sickness runs deep!

Edited by res308
  • Like 2

For me, the 1911 is pure Americana. I only feed mine 230gr. FMJ's since that's what John Browning designed it for. I also never carry the thing; it's a range gun only. If I want to carry a .45acp, then I have my Glock for that. Is that what they say? "Show you friends your 1911, and you're enemies your Glock."? The 1911 is just a classic.

The Beretta 92 is another classic. I don't have one yet, but there will come a day when I have one, merely because it's a classic too.

• Like 1