Not securing your firearm

I was at Lowes today and noticed somebody open carrying. The guy was in the plumbing section and bent over looking at something on the shelves. He was carrying a 1911 in a non-retention holster and I walked right behind him and I don't think he even noticed I was there. If I was bent on doing harm, I feel sure I could have reached behind him, got his gun, shot him, and then proceeded to shoot anybody else in the area. 

I'm principally against full open carry personally, but if you do, at least secure your gun and be aware of what is going on behind you.

• Like 4

Maybe the thing to do would have been to politely point out to the guy that if you had bad intentions his firearm was open to easily take it from him.  If nothing else, it may make him think next time about being more situationally aware.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Snatch it, drop the mag, lock the slide back, catch the ejected round out of the air, sit it all on a nearby shelf, tell him to have a nice day, and calmly walk away. :) 

Or, just mind your own business, make note mentally on why you don't carry like that, because at the end of the day at least he has a permit and is carrying a gun and that is good for society.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, peejman said:

Snatch it, drop the mag, lock the slide back, catch the ejected round out of the air, sit it all on a nearby shelf, tell him to have a nice day, and calmly walk away. :) 

I was always told to never touch a man's gun, dog, or wife without permission. As fun as it sounds, I would be hesitant to do that. 

2 hours ago, peejman said:

Although I think it would be pretty easy to disarm him, there is the off chance that he would win the battle. In that case, I’d likely be the one getting shot.

I don’t like to judge people, but I seen him later walking around the store and he came across to me as the “hey, look at me, I’ve got a gun” type. Seemed he was making a conscience effort to make sure people saw his gun.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I was always told to never touch a man's gun, dog, or wife without permission. As fun as it sounds, I would be hesitant to do that. 

I wouldn't do it either. But it's pretty clear that even though this guy has a gun on his hip, he's in condition white. If someone practiced and could do it super fast like the pros, you'd be walking away before he recovered from the shock of someone snatching it.  

Remember the video of the Lenior City cop snatching the gun from the guy on the motorcycle?  It happens really fast when you don't expect it. 

1 hour ago, m16ty said:

Although I think it would be pretty easy to disarm him, there is the off chance that he would win the battle. In that case, I’d likely be the one getting shot.

I don’t like to judge people, but I seen him later walking around the store and he came across to me as the “hey, look at me, I’ve got a gun” type. Seemed he was making a conscience effort to make sure people saw his gun.

That was my expectation. Go peacock somewhere else, you're not helping. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1