Companies ending partnerships with NRA

well, got all my recurring changes on my NRA card changed over this weekend. Called First National to cancel my card this morning. They were REAL busy, had to wait on hold for nearly 30 minutes. Got it cancelled! Told her I didn't want their statements trashing up my mailbox anymore. Feels good. I told her exactly why I was cancelling and she noted I had been with them since 2004. Did not seem to be a surprise to her.

Edited by seez52
  • Moderators

Dick's Sporting Goods claims they will restrict all gun sales to 21 and stop selling "assault rifles".

I can honestly say I've only been in one of their stores once maybe twice, ever. Looks like this is a good reason to not go back.

I can honestly say, I don't see this ending well for them, it might just push them out of business. But, maybe enough soccer moms and schoolteachers will shop there now because they'll feel like they are saving society by doing so.

https://gizmodo.com/dicks-sporting-goods-will-stop-selling-assault-rifles-1823385203

Edited by CZ9MM
1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

Dick's Sporting Goods claims they will restrict all gun sales to 21 and stop selling "assault rifles".

I can honestly say I've only been in one of their stores once maybe twice, ever. Looks like this is a good reason to not go back.

I can honestly say, I don't see this ending well for them, it might just push them out of business. But, maybe enough soccer moms and schoolteachers will shop there now because they'll feel like they are saving society by doing so.

https://gizmodo.com/dicks-sporting-goods-will-stop-selling-assault-rifles-1823385203

I haven’t set foot into a Dick’s since the last time they stopped selling “assault rifles”. I didn’t realize they reversed their convictions and started selling them again, lol. Seems like they just jump on board with the latest political fad. I always pass them up for a better store.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

They will survive, I have gone in there once or twice, the first time was because of a gift card and I had to just get "something" to spend the card.  Their prices were not good enough to bring me back. I can't imagine their business depends on the overpriced guns.  And the AR prices have dropped so much that there can't be much profit margin anymore.

But there is a segment of sportsmen that will stop using them because of it, so I am sure they will feel the pinch.  I know I won't step foot in it anymore, no matter their prices now.

I never used the NRA discount either, always use my military ID.  As for Dicks Sport. Goods, the place is too overpriced for me, don't go there.

It amazes me how, after ever shooting we have, people & companies, etc, are falling all over themselves trying to distance themselves from anything gun. Guess I'll just sit back & watch them walk over the cliff.

• Moderators

Dick’s did quit selling ARs and such after Sandy Hook but they continued to sell them in Field & Stream stores. They’ve gone much, much farther than they did last time. Here is their statement straight from the horse’s mouth  

PFZ55rQ.jpg

Could they virtue signal any harder? 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dick’s did quit selling ARs and such after Sandy Hook but they continued to sell them in Field & Stream stores. They’ve gone much, much farther than they did last time. Here is their statement straight from the horse’s mouth  

PFZ55rQ.jpg

Could they virtue signal any harder? 

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't read the whole thing. Gee, with "2nd Amendment Supporting Friends" such as this, who even needs enemies?

To me, the icing on the cake baked mostly with irony, the statement "If even one life is saved, it will have been worth it" regarding gun restrictions has always infuriated me the most. Does that mean that if by allowing "assault rifles sales" saves even one life nationwide, it would be worth it? What if by legalizing machine-guns nationwide it saves one life, would that be worth it? I guarantee you if every state in the nation allowed for concealed carry it would save "At least one life" (not an endorsement for national reciprocity).

And then I go down the rabbit hole of thinking about all the things they could ban and it would actually save thousands of lives (cars, swimming pools, hammers, , cell phones, marbles, etc). Would anyone consider banning those to save "even one life" and consider it worth it? No, people would consider that preposterous and a violation of freedom. But careful manipulation and now loads of people jump on board with "even one life" regarding firearms. Bullarky!

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 4
27 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't read the whole thing. Gee, with "2nd Amendment Supporting Friends" such as this, who even needs enemies?

To me, the icing on the cake baked mostly with irony, the statement "If even one life is saved, it will have been worth it" regarding gun restrictions has always infuriated me the most. Does that mean that if by allowing "assault rifles sales" saves even one life nationwide, it would be worth it? What if by legalizing machine-guns nationwide it saves one life, would that be worth it? I guarantee you if every state in the nation allowed for concealed carry it would save "At least one life" (not an endorsement for national reciprocity).

And then I go down the rabbit hole of thinking about all the things they could ban and it would actually save thousands of lives (cars, swimming pools, hammers, , cell phones, marbles, etc). Would anyone consider banning those to save "even one life" and consider it worth it? No, people would consider that preposterous and a violation of freedom. But careful manipulation and now loads of people jump on board with "even one life" regarding firearms. Bullarky!

The real enemy here CZ is the Social Media and the Cable news. Mass killings like these are not new. The ability to make sure every person on earth knows about them at light speed!!!  Then every one has an opinion and a comment about it, good bad or indifferent. Charles Whitman was a mass murderer and killed people from the Clock Tower in Austin. He began by killng his family and then just killing strangers 14 in all and wounding 31 until they finally killed him. I would be willing to bet 1/2 or more of the people in the country 3 days after it was over could not tell you who Charles Whitman even was. If that happened today Social Media and Cable news would have it for weeks and everyone would know who he was.

The only reason you don't hear more about the Vegas massacure is because no one can find out anything about the shooter or a motive. All that is mentioned now is the Bump-Stocks. Take away Social media and cable news and about 90% of all of the sinsational reporting would be a blip on your  computer or TV screen...........jmho

• Like 3
On 2/24/2018 at 2:43 PM, Will Carry said:

I know the anti-2nd amendment media is always touting the "Powerful NRA" lobby and the "Big Gun" industry. There is no such thing. The power of the NRA is from it's members who vote. The biggest lobby in the swamp are the pharmaceutical industry at 3.5 billion dollars. Next is the insurance industry at 3.4 billion or so, then come the utility industry. The NRA ranks 488th. The liberal media is just plain lying and their coolaid drinking disciples are buying it. I told the whitewater paddlers of their forum that I was a member of the NRA and some of them told me that I was responsible for 17 deaths. I didn't back down but doubled down and finally a few gun owners spoke up on my behalf. I am going to encourage all the gun owners I know that the time to join the NRA is not when they are knocking at your door, to take your guns..... 

Boy can I relate to this. Very few of my whitewater buddies know of my other hobby: guns. Those that do give me crap about it all the time. The rest would probably pee themselves if they knew about the pistol in my backpack. Bunch of global warming, Birkenstock wearing, Hippy sissies. Where did you have your exchange? BoaterTalk? I quit that site years ago for this very reason.

• Like 2

The irony of these companies breaking ties with the NRA is that the NRA is also the biggest proponent in the nation for gun safety and sponsor of gun safety education. Guns are not going away, shouldn't these companies want the people who are going to have them, use them safely? Or is that the point? Let more people die due to lack of proper handling and negligent discharges, and then we can just ban them all.

From a source I can't reveal here, I'm told that Enterprise has been particularly hard-hit by negative response to their announcement, which has caused them to lose out on a major land acquisition they were in the process of negotiating...with a gun owner who has now refused to sell his property to them.  :) 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Whisper said:

From a source I can't reveal here, I'm told that Enterprise has been particularly hard-hit by negative response to their announcement, which has caused them to lose out on a major land acquisition they were in the process of negotiating...with a gun owner who has now refused to sell his property to them.  :) 

OOOPPP"s I bet Enterprise didn't see that one coming!!!  I hope them and other of the firms walking away from the NRA also get a few stingers like that one. Choices do have consequences and the wrong choices can have some real Zingers!!!!

• Like 1

Still more fun:  Georgia legislature takes steps against anti-gun Delta Airlines; $38 million tax break on jet fuel goes away.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/georgia-senate-to-vote-on-tax-bill-delta-benefit-dropped/

Cheers,
Whisper

Overwhelmingly.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/01/georgia-lawmakers-yank-tax-break-for-delta-after-airline-cuts-ties-with-nra.html

A new bill will undoubtedly be introduced and approved in a few weeks to restore the tax break after everyone’s attention has been guided elsewhere.  

Edited by Garufa

Still more fun:  Georgia legislature takes steps against anti-gun Delta Airlines; $38 million tax break on jet fuel goes away.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/georgia-senate-to-vote-on-tax-bill-delta-benefit-dropped/

Cheers,
Whisper

I wonder how many other big Corporations were on the edge of pulling the plug on the NRA that are glad they didn't play Froggy and jump with the rest of them that did? Sometimes it pays to sit back see what happens when stupid people who do stupid things before you look as stupid as they do!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Overwhelmingly.

A new bill will undoubtedly be introduced and approved in a few weeks to restore the tax break after everyone’s attention has been guided elsewhere.  

Possibly will happen but only after new negotiating has been done and Delta decides it likes the NRA after all..............JMHO

7 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I wonder how many other big Corporations were on the edge of pulling the plug on the NRA that are glad they didn't play Froggy and jump with the rest of them that did? Sometimes it pays to sit back see what happens when stupid people who do stupid things before you look as stupid as they do!!!! 

I seriously doubt Delta is too worried about it right now.  They haven’t had the tax break in a few years and Georgia is not going to sacrifice 33,000 jobs from that one airline alone.  Don’t forget, Atlanta’s Airport is the busiest in the country, perhaps the world.

Republicans standing up to corporations is simply theater to distract the masses from what is really going on...and will happen.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, analog_kidd said:

Boy can I relate to this. Very few of my whitewater buddies know of my other hobby: guns. Those that do give me crap about it all the time. The rest would probably pee themselves if they knew about the pistol in my backpack. Bunch of global warming, Birkenstock wearing, Hippy sissies. Where did you have your exchange? BoaterTalk? I quit that site years ago for this very reason.

Boatertalk! They are getting ready to shut it down.  Some of my fondest memories are of exploring the Cumberland Plateau with my buddies. Reading Monty Smith's book. Frozen Head State Park and Dave Engelbretzen.  I love Tennessee. I hate to see the Plateau sold to the highest bidder.  We used to park our vehicles at OBJ to takeout on Daddy's Creek. I saw all the broken auto glass in the parking area and had an idea. I jogged down the road a knocked on the first door. I must have looked like someone from outer space and the slammed it in my face. The second door did the same. I finally came to this house with a yard full of young'uns. I knocked on the door and a young lady in a wheel chair rolled up to the door. I said "Mam, there have been a lot of breakins down at OBJ (Obed Juction) and I was wonder if we could park our vehicles in your yard while we went paddling?" She said "You sure can honey." I said "we'd be willing to pay you $10 a car." "Oh no! you don't have to do that." I said "Mam, these folks can afford it." So we paid her $80 and she was happy and out cars were waiting for us, unmolested. We did this for several years but one day I jogged up to the house.....and it was empty.  I looked at the single wide across the road and walked over and knocked on the door. A young fellow opened the door and I gave him the same  story "You don't need to pay me! I watch over them." We paid him $10 per vehicle. Our cars were unmolested. The next year the house and the singlewide were empty. I saw a park ranger driving down the road and I stopped him and said "What happen to the people who used to live here?" He said "The young lady and her kids went to live with her family and the feller in the singlewide is in prison." "He was the one breaking into cars at OBJ."  I told the ranger we had paid him last year to park in his yard and he said "Well if he told you it was OK, he wouldn't harm your vehicles." 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Will Carry said:

Boatertalk! They are getting ready to shut it down.  Some of my fondest memories are of exploring the Cumberland Plateau with my buddies. Reading Monty Smith's book. Frozen Head State Park and Dave Engelbretzen.  I love Tennessee. I hate to see the Plateau sold to the highest bidder.  We used to park our vehicles at OBJ to takeout on Daddy's Creek. I saw all the broken auto glass in the parking area and had an idea. I jogged down the road a knocked on the first door. I must have looked like someone from outer space and the slammed it in my face. The second door did the same. I finally came to this house with a yard full of young'uns. I knocked on the door and a young lady in a wheel chair rolled up to the door. I said "Mam, there have been a lot of breakins down at OBJ (Obed Juction) and I was wonder if we could park our vehicles in your yard while we went paddling?" She said "You sure can honey." I said "we'd be willing to pay you $10 a car." "Oh no! you don't have to do that." I said "Mam, these folks can afford it." So we paid her $80 and she was happy and out cars were waiting for us, unmolested. We did this for several years but one day I jogged up to the house.....and it was empty.  I looked at the single wide across the road and walked over and knocked on the door. A young fellow opened the door and I gave him the same  story "You don't need to pay me! I watch over them." We paid him $10 per vehicle. Our cars were unmolested. The next year the house and the singlewide were empty. I saw a park ranger driving down the road and I stopped him and said "What happen to the people who used to live here?" He said "The young lady and her kids went to live with her family and the feller in the singlewide is in prison." "He was the one breaking into cars at OBJ."  I told the ranger we had paid him last year to park in his yard and he said "Well if he told you it was OK, he wouldn't harm your vehicles." 

An honest thief, now there is a good one.