Turkey Hunting

Turkey hunters who's getting ready? Whats your favorite shotgun and ammo? What calls do you use? and any thing else you like involving Turkey hunting.
I use a 1100 Rem. with Win. xx mag. in 6's. Slate and glass pots along with mouth calls. Whats your experience?

422MTqv.jpg?1   

Yeah, I’m really excited about it this year. I should have the time off to hit the woods that I haven’t had in recent seasons.

I will also be using a Reminton 1100. It’s an older one that doesn’t get used much, so I’m looking forward to bagging a turkey with it. The fixed full choke 30” barrel throws a tight pattern with 3” Nitro Turkey #5’s. I like a box call the best. Using a Cody box, Cody slate and a couple of mouth calls. I just got a new vest from Cabelas! If the kids go with me, I’ll probably use the Double Bull blind, otherwise just the base of a tree. Oh, and I won’t go out without a Thermacell. I’ve already had a tick on me this year!!

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

I’m ready, short of some sighting in. Got a second 20ga this year. Loaded up a bunch of TSS and I can’t wait to smash some heads.

acd80a4f1423a6d7fa20cae04f7a7a11.jpg

f47119e59d172619f63f2165f3932cab.jpg

Spent today water proofing seams in these blinds. I love hunting rainy days, but hate being wet. We set these up on a couple farms so we can retreat to a blind of a rain storm moves in.

e7f25362cf5bec33df684c7239b2edeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with 3" Win. XR Longbeards. Works grrrrreat! I use a Hastings .640 choke in it. But, when I get time to test it, I may use a .665 that I made. Been working a lot the last month. I've got several calls that I want to try out too.  Good luck to everybody.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Whiskey, how does the 20 gauge guns work for you. I'm thinking great because you use them. I just wondered because you don't see many hunters using them. My brother in law and his wife have always used 20 gauge guns for turkeys.

20ga is all you need with TSS. If you aren’t shooting TSS, stick with a 12ga. I love the reduced recoil and lighter gun, but the TSS is just flat out a turkey killing load.

I killed one Saturday afternoon. Got schooled by an old bird on Sunday. His time will come though.

22lbs, 9.75” beard, 7/8” spurs. Killed him at 30 yards with the new 870 20ga.

748768e9f5280bf776349444a36e0751.jpg

5be53bed54d049498c094458e2a04000.jpg

• Like 5

Saw a bunch of hens being seduced by a tom last week at dusk. Got to see them all roost in the trees. Watching that tom getting airborne was hilarious- he needed about 25 yards of”runway” to get up in the air. I began to wonder if he would make it [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Called one in last Saturday and missed the shot. Still in disbelief. I had packed up and planned to go this morning but woke up and saw all the trees blowing sideways at 15-20MPH and 36 degrees and went back to bed. Anyone else make it out today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, FJCrusing said:

Called one in last Saturday and missed the shot. Still in disbelief. I had packed up and planned to go this morning but woke up and saw all the trees blowing sideways at 15-20MPH and 36 degrees and went back to bed. Anyone else make it out today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont' let it get you down. It happens. I'm gonna try to hunt this afternoon. Gotta work today. Good luck to everybody.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, whiskey said:

I killed #2 about a week ago. It’s been tough hunting. Hopefully the last couple weeks of season will get hot.

5a64e7d752fc29c9cc23b1bfa6e47ee0.jpg

2c74d76bfded1527b7a83a5128405b99.jpg

Alright congrats. Keep'em coming.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Tedro2022 said:

Anybody getting excited to get some fall turkey hunting in? I hate that I missed this spring, and this fall is a short window, but I’ve gotta get out next weekend! 

I try to keep my shotgun with me whenever possible during the fall season.  I looked at the regs earlier and it looks like only one bearded bird is allowed per county for the fall season.  Up until a couple years ago it was 6 either sex, then it went to 1 either sex, and now only bearded.

23 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I try to keep my shotgun with me whenever possible during the fall season.  I looked at the regs earlier and it looks like only one bearded bird is allowed per county for the fall season.  Up until a couple years ago it was 6 either sex, then it went to 1 either sex, and now only bearded.

I thought it had gone down from previous seasons. That said I haven’t seen as many in the last couple years either, probably why the reduction in the limit.