Chattanooga "Shooting" (Hamilton Place)

GlockSpock

• Moderators

My Wife and I were headed to try Rodizio Grill for the first time tonight. As we got closer to the Hamilton Place Mall, I noticed something seemed up. Patrol cars surrounding the mall and an officer diverting traffic away from the mall. Popped my head out the window to ask someone what was going on, they claimed a "gang related shooting" had happened. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/feb/24/police-responding-reports-active-shooter-hamilton-place-mall/464521/

What's interesting is that multiple eyewitnesses all claimed to have heard gunfire, but authorities say that no evidence was found to suggest any shots had been fired.

Most notable, in my opinion, is this comment:

"We are safe, a fight broke out beside us, they walked off with one of them had a ripped shirt, there was a mall cop that came running in our direction and a guy pointed up the stairs and said 'gun.' And then a citizen that was carrying pulled out his gun and yelled 'drop your weapon'" he wrote in a message to reporters. 

So it seems possible that an armed citizen engaged the theoretical shooter almost immediately. Good. However, Hamilton Place is mostly a "posted" location so I'm curious whether this person will be in any hot water themselves.

This entire story seems odd. Seemingly no victims, apparently no evidence of shots being fired, but a gun (appears to be a Glock and an extended magazine) was found in the parking lot.

Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, 56FordGuy said:

Some “sheepdog” whipped out his ready to go carry weapon at the sight of a scuffle. Then someone screamed gun.

I know the timing doesn’t line up like they claimed with someone yelling gun before the citizen drew, but I think my first scenario is more likely.

More likely that a CCW Permit holder drew his weapon when someone yelled "gun".  The one left behind might be from the initial person with a gun.

11 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

My Wife and I were headed to try Rodizio Grill for the first time tonight. As we got closer to the Hamilton Place Mall, I noticed something seemed up. Patrol cars surrounding the mall and an officer diverting traffic away from the mall. Popped my head out the window to ask someone what was going on, they claimed a "gang related shooting" had happened. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/feb/24/police-responding-reports-active-shooter-hamilton-place-mall/464521/

What's interesting is that multiple eyewitnesses all claimed to have heard gunfire, but authorities say that no evidence was found to suggest any shots had been fired.

Most notable, in my opinion, is this comment:

"We are safe, a fight broke out beside us, they walked off with one of them had a ripped shirt, there was a mall cop that came running in our direction and a guy pointed up the stairs and said 'gun.' And then a citizen that was carrying pulled out his gun and yelled 'drop your weapon'" he wrote in a message to reporters. 

So it seems possible that an armed citizen engaged the theoretical shooter almost immediately. Good. However, Hamilton Place is mostly a "posted" location so I'm curious whether this person will be in any hot water themselves.

This entire story seems odd. Seemingly no victims, apparently no evidence of shots being fired, but a gun (appears to be a Glock and an extended magazine) was found in the parking lot.

Thoughts?

So anyway, How was the food at the Rodizio Grill?

• Moderators
So anyway, How was the food at the Rodizio Grill?

Funny story. My Wife called them at least three times before we left. “These people won’t answer their phone” is what she said.

The grill is in the mall. Closed of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Funny story. My Wife called them at least three times before we left. “These people won’t answer their phone” is what she said.

The grill is in the mall. Closed of course.

Oh, so you never got to eat there? Ok, I thought the Grill might have been someplace else and you had to drive by the mall to get to it. Still, interesting story about the sorta active shooter that was not really one but a Glock was found in the parking lot and it was not shooting anyone. So maybe it is true that guns don't kill people or surely it would have killed someone!!!.........JMHO

• Like 2
  • Moderators
Oh, so you never got to eat there? Ok, I thought the Grill might have been someplace else and you had to drive by the mall to get to it. Still, interesting story about the sorta active shooter that was not really one but a Glock was found in the parking lot and it was not shooting anyone. So maybe it is true that guns don't kill people or surely it would have killed someone!!!.........JMHO

Haha. True. With that extended magazine you’d think it would by dying to shoot someone.

We ate at Boathouse instead. Phenomenal place by the way.

7 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

What is most interesting to me is the fact that dozens of eyewitness posts claim that gunshots were heard.

Police double down on no shots fired inside or outside of the mall. Weird.

Witnesses tend to see and hear all sorts of things that didn't actually happen.  The brain fills in the gaps when things happen suddenly. 

• Like 1

Because my mind is always working but these days not as sharp and it once did but I am wondering if it was a test of someone to see how fast the police response would be if it was an actual active shooter situation Someone that might have future plans and testing the waters so to say??????  I've heard of stranger things happening before.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Moderators
Because my mind is always working but these days not as sharp and it once did but I am wondering if it was a test of someone to see how fast the police response would be if it was an actual active shooter situation Someone that might have future plans and testing the waters so to say??????  I've heard of stranger things happening before.

Eh. Maybe. I think most evidence seems to suggest gang related. Chattanooga doesn’t heavily promote this fact but there is decent gang activity around. Not as bad as some area in the state but a bit worse than others.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Eh. Maybe. I think most evidence seems to suggest gang related. Chattanooga doesn’t heavily promote this fact but there is decent gang activity around. Not as bad as some area in the state but a bit worse than others.

All cities and even some larger small towns have gangs so I would not put it beyond the realm of possibility a gang may have been checking response time of police. Not all gangs are just stupid thugs. There are some of the that have some pretty smart leaders.

I remember back years ago the true leader of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club was a college graduate and had a Bachelor and Masters Degrees in Law and could have been a lawyer had he taken the Barr exam and passed it.

Gangs are spreading like a Virus and so far there is no Vaccine for them. They have just about taken over the Antioch area from what I have hear from friends that use to live there and moved out because of them.

1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

And Hamilton Place is one of their favorite hang-outs. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

And Hamilton Place is one of their favorite hang-outs. 

Pretty much like Opry Mills is the magnet for gangs in the East Nashville area. I don't know where the gangs go in Antioch since Hickory Hollow closed and not sure where the west side gangs are hanging out since the Bellevue Mall closed.