Depression/Mental Illness

pop pop

Saw a evening news  cast (CBS) that reported the story that now Doctors want to start screening young school children for depression. Of course you do know where that is headed. That question HAVE YOU EVER HAD MENTAL PROBLEMS on that form?

Possibly, they will report any depression of children to the gun registry as having mental illness, which the Dr. stated depression was. Guess what will happen when they go to purchase a gun down the road? Better not allow them to check your child. They talked about children from 10 years old and onward.

I am getting ready for knee surgery next Monday. A Medicare case worker, for my Dr, called me today and she casually asked if I have had any depression lately. I have been asked that question by 5 different medical people in the last month. Guys, what is going on here? 

Edited by pop pop

What's even worse, is they'll send the parents home w/ a script and little Johnny will learn to just pop a pill and make all his problems go away.

... and people wonder how we got here? Taking drugs to solve all your problems is fine so long as you buy them from a guy in a white lab coat, apparently. :wall:

• Like 7

Anyone who's ever been around someone with depression knows it can be a major issue. Catching it early, before it gets to the "homicidal maniac" stage helps significantly. Yes, there are pills that can help one cope with the symptoms, but they don't cure it. Only hard work does that. 

I hesitate to make the flying leap that the end game for people wanting to screen school kids for depression is to drug them up and strip them of their rights before they're old enough to exercise them. 

• Like 1

I think ReeferMac hit the nail on the head.  The American medical community seems willing to diagnose every man, woman, and child with a mental health disorder - and prescribe pills as "treatment".  Have you ever heard that saying that when everything is urgent, nothing is urgent?  

• Like 1

I have been of the opinion that technology / society has evolved much faster and more complex than the human capacity to adapt to those changes for a lot of people.  Most of the problems are self inflicted by social pressures by media.  The portrayal of lifestyle by the rich and famous as normal may invoke the mental stresses of those not well grounded.  Feelings of failure, insufficieny, etc exceed coping skills as we now feel our wants become sometimes unreachable needs.  It is an increasingly complex world that has no easy answer for the masses.

• Like 6

Have you ever noticed the various ads on TV about meds that treat various illnesses, they seem to run in cycles.  One month is for diabetes, the next month is for depression, or a skin disorder, or (insert the newest disease/illness).  I think it's being driven by the drug companies.  Sales for one particular drug is behind its sales goals, so it's time to bring that illness(s) back to the publics' attention, and sell more of this.  NO proof what so ever of it, but I think drug companies run promotions of free cruises/vacations for the people who write the most prescriptions in a month.  LOL

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

but I think drug companies run promotions of free cruises/vacations for the people who write the most prescriptions in a month.  LOL

Absotively! That's one of the (many) things wrong w/ the medical industry these days. The money incentive is too corrupting. It's not about curing the disease anymore, it's about treating the symptoms. Anyone else notice that trend? I've had personal experience w/ Gastro-intestinal issues. Here, try this pill. No? OK, take this one instead. Rinse, repeat. Don't teach the patient to deal with the cause (stress), treat the symptom w/ something consumable. It's more profitable than a cure.

• Like 1

My prediction is they are going to change the nix system to include a way for all to report any type of depression, which the Dr I saw on T V called it mental illness, into the system. Plus I believe they will make all guns sales, even private sales or giveaways, go through the nix check system this time.

That is one reason I am thinning my collection now. The other reason is I am "fastilly" becoming an old codger.

I don't want any crazy to be able to purchase a gun, but agree with Farnam. Farnam said older society's used this avenue to get around the gun laws to disarm their populas. 

Ah, "mental illness" the new catch all so that everyone can be a victim of a disease. Problem is that "mental illness" in clinical standards is very finely defined. Once they start changing the definition there are no boundaries. Once you label it; you can tax it, medicate it, arrest it, jail it, and most importantly control it with the government.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

Have you ever noticed the various ads on TV about meds that treat various illnesses, they seem to run in cycles.  One month is for diabetes, the next month is for depression, or a skin disorder, or (insert the newest disease/illness).  I think it's being driven by the drug companies.  Sales for one particular drug is behind its sales goals, so it's time to bring that illness(s) back to the publics' attention, and sell more of this.  NO proof what so ever of it, but I think drug companies run promotions of free cruises/vacations for the people who write the most prescriptions in a month.  LOL

You have come very close to hitting the nail directly on the head for sure. I have watched every commercial on TV pertaining to medications I think!!!!  I think when business gets slow they come up with new ones like the one that amuses me is the one that tells you to put your poop in the box and give it to the UPS guy and he will take it to a lab in GOD knows where and they will test it to see if you have cancer. And you suppose to trust these people you have never met doing the test to tell you the truth!!!!!!! Or how about the one where 1 in 30 Baby Boomers have Hep C and we should all rush to our doctor to be tested cause if you have it we have a cure for it!!!! The one I like is Optivo, cure for Cancer instead of Chemo. about 1 minute of the Commercial is spent listing the side effects from the stuff and at the end of the list they add that this may not be all the side effects. They also tell you that even after taking the meds once you have completed the dosages required that Optivo might attack healthy Organs leading to death. Why would people request this kind of stuff????????

9 hours ago, chances R said:

I have been of the opinion that technology / society has evolved much faster and more complex than the human capacity to adapt to those changes for a lot of people.  Most of the problems are self inflicted by social pressures by media.  The portrayal of lifestyle by the rich and famous as normal may invoke the mental stresses of those not well grounded.  Feelings of failure, insufficieny, etc exceed coping skills as we now feel our wants become sometimes unreachable needs.  It is an increasingly complex world that has no easy answer for the masses.

These are good points chances R.

I'm reminded of a book I read a long time ago, around '71-'2 iirc by Alvin Toffler called "Future Shock". He postulated that people were having psychological adaptation breakdown because of the rapidity of the change societies were undergoing..and this was way the heck before the rise of computers, social media and the internet. As much as we as human beings like to think we are more than we are, we can only process, internalize, and incorporate only so much change before reaching our limits. Toffler popularized the term "information overload". If only he knew what was coming.

Big Pharma and The Health Care conglomerates capitalize on this. There's no money in the "cure".

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor
11 minutes ago, prag said:

These are good points chances R.

I'm reminded of a book I read a long time ago, around '71-'2 iirc by Alvin Toffler called "Future Shock". He postulated that people were having psychological adaptation breakdown because of the rapidity of the change societies were undergoing..and this was way the heck before the rise of computers, social media and the internet. As much as we as human beings like to think we are more than we are, we can only process, internalize, and incorporate only so much change before reaching our limits. Toffler popularized the term "information overload". If only he knew what was coming.

Big Pharma and The Health Care conglomerates capitalize on this. There's no money in the "cure".

If kids would stay away from all the social media BS and find something constructive to do they might not "think" they have some kind of depression of other sickness. That goes for adults as well. They listen to all these authorities ( movie stars, singers and other internet and you tube sensations)whine and complain about their pitiful lives and blame everyone else and everything under the sun for their so called unhappiness. And of course a pill is recommended as a cure to the joy of big pharma. None of these "authorities" recommend some hard work and changes to behavior to become a productive member of society.

Look...I realize there are some truly some sick people out there but there have always been....even since the release of the dreaded AR15. Kids weren't shooting up schools back then.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, chances R said:

I have been thinking this after working with HS students at church for the past 15 years and just looking at the world in general. I know a big thing is that we are supposed to care about so much around the world but I don't think we can really process that the way we are supposed to. Heck, until the past 100 years most people didn't know much of what happened further than a few miles from where they lived. And when they did find stuff out it was just a tiny amount, not the 50+ top stories we get every day.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, macville said:

I have been thinking this after working with HS students at church for the past 15 years and just looking at the world in general. I know a big thing is that we are supposed to care about so much around the world but I don't think we can really process that the way we are supposed to. Heck, until the past 100 years most people didn't know much of what happened further than a few miles from where they lived. And when they did find stuff out it was just a tiny amount, not the 50+ top stories we get every day.

When I was growing up in the 60's-70's, and then out of college in 1977, we did not hear about any of the bad things that happened that day until that night when we watched the evening news.  Now it's instant since most humans have smart phones and get notifications if "anything" in the world were to occur.  We have 24/7/365 access to all the "bad" things that happen via CNN, HLN. TWC, MSNBC, FNC, etc.  Ever notice how the weather channel just loves a CAT 5 hurricane or No'easter storm.  LOL   

• Like 2
14 hours ago, chances R said:

This is where people need to get a grip on themselves and their lives, and ignore the social media.  Social media should be for S&G's, not to make you ill.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

When I was growing up in the 60's-70's, and then out of college in 1977, we did not hear about any of the bad things that happened that day until that night when we watched the evening news.  Now it's instant since most humans have smart phones and get notifications if "anything" in the world were to occur.  We have 24/7/365 access to all the "bad" things that happen via CNN, HLN. TWC, MSNBC, FNC, etc.  Ever notice how the weather channel just loves a CAT 5 hurricane or No'easter storm.  LOL   

There's something to be said for the mature male "voice of God" news announcer that's missing today. As bad as it was in the 60's when you listened to Walter or Huntley and Brinkley you got the bad news from what was perceived as a calm and reasonable voice of reason.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

This is where people need to get a grip on themselves and their lives, and ignore the social media.  Social media should be for S&G's, not to make you ill.

Other than 4 special interest message boards, I eliminated my social media presence this past year and I literally feel healthier. I’m much less stressed out and I almost completely miss the latest outrage of the hour. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to kill Facebook, instagram, Twitter, etc. and if you’re worried about losing touch with family or friends that live elsewhere, I have a simple suggestion to overcome that. Take your smartphone and make a phone call with it!

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Other than 4 special interest message boards, I eliminated my social media presence this past year and I literally feel healthier. I’m much less stressed out and I almost completely miss the latest outrage of the hour. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to kill Facebook, instagram, Twitter, etc. and if you’re worried about losing touch with family or friends that live elsewhere, I have a simple suggestion to overcome that. Take your smartphone and make a phone call with it!

I can agree by seeing it from the opposite side. I got a Facebook account to promote my site. Never had one before, never wanted one. I see all the crap that winds people up now. Makes me feel much more anxious. :eek:

• Like 2