FedEx says it won’t cut ties to NRA because of boycott campaign

http://wreg.com/2018/02/26/fedex-says-it-wont-drop-nra-discount-though-it-opposes-nra-stance/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Shipping giant FedEx says it’s not backing away from a discount it offers to National Rifle Association members in response to a growing online campaign to boycott FedEx.

In a company statement Monday, Memphis-based FedEx said the NRA is just one of hundreds of organizations in its marketing program whose members receive discounted rates for FedEx shipping and the company does not plan on discontinuing the partnership.

“FedEx has never set or changed rates for any of our millions of customers around the world in response to their politics, beliefs or positions on issues.”

The company said it strongly supports the right to own firearms subject to a background check.

Unlike the NRA, however, the company opposes civilians owning assault rifles.

“FedEx views assault rifles and large capacity magazines as an inherent potential danger to schools, workplaces, and communities when such weapons are misused. We therefore support restricting them to the military. Most important, FedEx believes urgent action is required at the local, state, and Federal level to protect schools and students from incidents such as the horrific tragedy in Florida on February 14th.”

The move to boycott FedEx over its NRA discount has grown since one of the survivors of the Florida school massacre began publicizing a campaign to boycott business that have partnerships with the gun lobby. Several companies have cut ties with the organization since the shooting.

A number of groups have been circulating petitions against FedEx’s support for the NRA as the #boycottfedex hashtag trended on social media. One circulated by the site Care2 had gained 112,000 signatures by Monday afternoon.

Edited by The Legion

Companies should just stay out of politics. Looks like FedEx has managed to piss off both sides.

I’m a business owner, I know I don’t advertise my political views in any official business. It’s a no win situation, regardless of what side you are on. Liberals can’t seem to help themselves though.

• Like 1

Just saw a news clip on the CBS morning show that a GA lawmaker will stop any legislation that would benefit Delta Airlines if Delta did not reverse it's position of dropping it's NRA affiliation.  News clip mentioned a $50 million fuel tax bill in the process now, so.....

10 hours ago, m16ty said:

Companies should just stay out of politics. Looks like FedEx has managed to piss off both sides.

I have no problems with companies *having* political opinions.  I have plenty of family and friends with political opinions, some of which do not match with mine.  But a company that wants to start discriminating against customers who have certain political opinions has opened up the door to customers discriminating against them.  Once a company chooses a side in any political battle, they should not be surprised when customers on the other side fight back.  

All these companies severing ties with the NRA have joined the list of anti-freedom organizations that will never see a penny of my money, like McDonalds, Levis, Leatherman, etc.

Cheers,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper
3 hours ago, Whisper said:

I have no problems with companies *having* political opinions.  I have plenty of family and friends with political opinions, some of which do not match with mine.  But a company that wants to start discriminating against customers who have certain political opinions has opened up the door to customers discriminating against them.  Once a company chooses a side in any political battle, they should not be surprised when customers on the other side fight back.  

All these companies severing ties with the NRA have joined the list of anti-freedom organizations that will never see a penny of my money, like McDonalds, Levis, Leatherman, etc.

Cheers,

Whisper

I'm the same way, unless you actively go against one side or another, I could care less what it's current CEO. President, or Spokesman thinks.  Once you start putting those thoughts into actions then it's on.

• Like 1

Giant corporations let it be known that they stand opposed to the Constitution, which would indicate their campaign contributions would be used to that end (after, of course, securing protectionist corporate welfare from the govt.).  Their refusal to acknowledge the real problem(s) and instead jump on the Bandwagon of Stupid indicates the nature of their relationship to the Truth and to the system which seeks to subvert the will of the people... I.E. they are friends of Big Govt and enemies of freedom.

This is all well and good...

Of course if some lonesome Christian baker doesn't wish to apply his artistic craft to aid in celebrating something he finds conflicts with his beliefs, he gets sued, gets death threats and vandalism, could loose his business, financial security and good name and ends up being a Supreme Court case to decide if he will be allowed to live in peace or compelled by the government to act as an agent for promoting things he is opposed to... guess he didn't have enough money to "lobby" I.E. bribe congress.

I just cancelled my Enterprise Plus account and transferred all my points to my brother in law.  I rent cars probably 3-4 weeks per month, but probably still won't get their attention....  Got more work to do today, since me and all my guys travel a ton, we can start shifting our business to companies who at least have not boldly stated that they stand opposed to our Way of Life...

• Like 1

I saw a list of the top lobbies, I was surprised at all the private businesses that were at the top. Now I understand why organizations like the NRA and even liberal organizations lobby on behalf of their membership, but it makes me a little uneasy for corporations, who seek government contracts, to be lobbying our elected officials.