Fun with homemade bullistic gel

I've been watching lots of gun shows lately with bullistics gel test so it seemed like allot of fun to do some testing myself. Made it myself and I have been remelting it and using it for more tests. Here are my first test results.

6981.jpeg

Each block is 12 inches thick.

6976.jpeg

Left top is a 9mm Hornady Critical Defense hollow point. (i don't remember the weight or speed). Threw the box away. It stopped 6 inches into the second block. Shot from a Kahr PM9 3 inch barrel.

Left bottom is American Eagle 9mm 147 grain FMJ. Velocity is 1000 FPS subsonic. (normally I shot these suppressed). It went all the way through all three blocks. Shot from a Sig P290 3 inch barrel.

Center top is a Federal 44 Mag. 240 grain JHP. Velocity is 1230 FPS. It stopped at the back of the second block. Shot from a S&W 29 with a 4 inch barrel.

Right is a Federal 357 Mag 158 grain JSP. Velocity is 1240 FPS. It went through all three blocks. Shot from a S&W 19 with a 4 inch barrel.

6978.jpeg

6974.jpeg

The 44 Mag is awesome!!!

7002.jpeg

44 Mag on top.

7004.jpeg

Hornady 9mm

Edited by swim615
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Omega said:

What recipe did you use, and did you calibrate it or just for fun?  I was thinking of doing something like that to get some captured bullets for a display board.

I would fill up a trash can with water and shoot down into it. Should work really well except for slower bullets that do not expand well.

6 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I would fill up a trash can with water and shoot down into it. Should work really well except for slower bullets that do not expand well.

I'll have to give that a try, I just keep thinking that ballistics labs use water to capture pristine rounds for matching slugs so have avoided that.

The gel does a great job with hollow points. Full metal jackets have all went through all three blocks so far. I'll hopefully have time this weekend to do some more testing.

The top two are 44 mag and the bottom two are 9mm.

20180228_085047.jpg

Edited by swim615
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have wanted to do this he'll testing. I wanted to use a tote to make a large block. Gotta find me a new our door shooting area first. 

I used .99 cent rectangle containers from walmart. They are much easier to work with and will fit in the microwave for remelting and the fridge for thickening.

Its a blast!!!

You can see that the center block is a little cloudy. It was the experimental block. Thought I needed Pam so it wouldn't stick to the mold but it made the block cloudy and hard to see test results. You can see all the way through the other two blocks and they pop right out of the mold. Much easier to see the results.

20180228_154854.jpg

All ready for this weekends tests!!!

Any requests for specific rounds? 

Looking forward to a 45ACP and 30-30 this time!!! 

Edited by swim615
6 minutes ago, swim615 said:

You can see that the center block is a little cloudy. It was the experimental block. Thought I needed Pam so it wouldn't stick to the mold but it made the block cloudy and hard to see test results. You can see all the way through the other two blocks and they pop right out of the mold. Much easier to see the results.

20180228_154854.jpg

All ready for this weekends tests!!!

Any requests for specific rounds? 

Looking forward to a 45ACP and 30-30 this time!!! 

Put them up against a .22 Short. Lol

1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

Put them up against a .22 Short. Lol

Will do. I have lots of different 22 rounds and will include as many as possible with details. 

Its a real eye opener how each round differs when used for what its designed for. (FMJ, Hollow point, soft point, Speeds, etc)

1 hour ago, swim615 said:

Will do. I have lots of different 22 rounds and will include as many as possible with details. 

Its a real eye opener how each round differs when used for what its designed for. (FMJ, Hollow point, soft point, Speeds, etc)

I usually figure while shooting .22 Short in my Rohm Model 10 that everyone in the vicinity is equally likely to get hit. lol

Thanks for including it.