Tight upper AR receivers?

So I am starting another build. I bought an upper that turns out is VERY loose in the barrel channel. It is as least .007" too large so the barrel basically wobbles inside the receiver, not very good for accuracy. Barrel is good but the receiver is loose.

Anyone know of any, or had any problems, with an upper receiver being too tight? I am looking for one that is as tight as possible because this is going to be built as accurately as possible. I haven't built an AR in at least 6 years so have no idea what is good or not good as far as components any more.

Prefer forged over billet because of weight. 

That doesn’t surprise me these days, with prices For parts So Low. It may have come from a Run of 2nds that didn’t meet Specs and were sold to make a Higher Profit? You never know?

Cant you ship it back for a refund, or for one that’s in Spec? Good Luck and I Hope it turns out to be an easy solution. 

Could you Turn Down the Front of the Receiver and get it square on the Front Face So the Barrel would fit Flush against the face and the Barrel Nut would Snug against the shoulder?

Good Luck   

In the past couple of years I've bought a 4 of Aero Precision and 2 Mega stripped forged uppers. 

The Areo uppers were one snug, one loose, and two slightly loose with 4 different barrels. 

Both Mega uppers were snug.  I bought the Megas based on recommendations on the 68Forum from Harrison at AR Performance (and others too).  Mega was recently bought by Zev (the $2,000 Glock people), so they're now sold as Zev uppers. Unfortunately, it also looks like they're charging Zev-level prices for them now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of people Cerakoting the barrel extension and using Loctite or Rocksett to fill in the rest of the space.   A lot of AR-10 builders need to do it because apparently there can be a big variation in dimensions between manufacturers.

I think in your case, it was a smart move to just use a different upper... .007" is a lot.