Service animals

Just left Walmart, I know I am a glutton for punishment, and a young lady, obviously a millennial, had a dog with a service dog vest on. 

I will say I am generally not one to say anything but this dog was definitely not a service dog. What clued me in was the fact the dog was struggling to climb on everyone. As well as the fact it lunged at a young child. 

But I bet if you said anything she would flip her lid crying she needed an “emotional support” animal to go shopping.

BTW, “emotional support” is not recognized by the ADA as a use for a service animal. 

I wish they would require some sort of ID that retailers could verify. 

• Like 1

Not only at wally, almost any store you go to has someone with their animal of choice. It's really great to see someone having their dog riding in their cart, great for the next person.

We live in a Freakshow.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, Garufa said:

:rofl:

At least she wasn't walking around with a support peacock, ferret or some other such nonsense.

You know what I would find real supportive in an animal? A monkey that will fling poo on command. I need to work on getting one. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

You know what I would find real supportive in an animal? A monkey that will fling poo on command. I need to work on getting one. 

That is an excellent idea.  He (or she) could just ride around on your shoulder at the store.  I would have to make sure mine ate as much as monkeyly possible before entering the store to pelt those asses driving the mart-carts around who are perfectly healthy.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Not an expert, but I had to learn a little about ADA and service animals a while back, and was quite surprised at the lack of regulation.  While Dolomite_supafly is correct that emotional support is not a valid function of a service animal, there are some qualifying reasons that are related to mental disabilities, like PTSD.  And,  sadly strict limitations as to requiring any documentation (none required) and also limitations as to what one can even ask  the person with the alleged service animal...specifically, one can ask if the animal is required because of a disability, and also what work or task is the dog trained to perform.  

I am disabled in that i am not physically able  to protect myself from bad guys with guns, so I need an ADA accommodation to be armed by my service gun to perform that task for me.  So can I carry beyond posted areas because of the ADA? :-)

• Like 2

I've said that "service animals" are now becoming a fashion accessory, and most don't have them for any other reason than just to have. Don't have an issue with ones people have for a legitimate issue like diabetes or strokes. But knock it off with the German Shepard or Malinois with tac vest on. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

I've said that "service animals" are now becoming a fashion accessory, and most don't have them for any other reason than just to have. Don't have an issue with ones people have for a legitimate issue like diabetes or strokes. But knock it off with the German Shepard or Malinois with tac vest on. 

I wish the law would require a formal certification of the animal and also a permit or license of some kind that had to be shown when asked by the business owner upon whos property the person travels.

I think if I ever go back to wal-freaky-mart (not likely) I'm going to ride my emotional support Belgian mule into the store while carrying my emotional support monkey with my emotional support wildebeest in tow. Yeah I'm sick of all the BS myself. I don't guess I can say too much about that though, after all, my wife does have an emotional support animal (ME!).:eek:

• Haha 1

The one that bothered me was the story about the girl with the 'emotional support' hamster. She went to take a flight, and through some miscommunication, she mistakenly thought her rodent could fly with her. When she was told it couldn't, again, through some miscommunication, she decided that she had been told to flush the animal down an airport toilet. So she did. And now she is suing the airline. 

I am not making this up. 

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/08/spirit-airlines-employee-told-student-to-flush-emotional-support-hamster-down-toilet-student-alleges.html