Service animals

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I wish you could still kick someone's asz when they've earned it. That would take care of a lot of our social ills.

I can't like this enough times. 

I was standing in line for BBQ on Sunday and a lady behind me had a diabetes dog, at least that's what the vest said.  I overheard her telling another lady that the dog can sense her blood sugar drop about 10 minutes before she can, which I don't doubt. Except that the dog wasn't paying her any mind at all, it was wandering around getting petted by whoever would pay attention to it. She even said "yeah, he doesn't act like much of a service dog, but we're working on that."  

How/where did you get a "service dog" that isn't trained to act like a service dog?  :rolleyes:

On the flip side, one of my kids' scout leaders has a PTSD dog that's also in K9 training. He was an infantry medic in the sandbox so yeah, no issue there.  

41 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Am I the only one just sitting back and laughing at the ridiculousness of it all? 

Nope.  The first time I see a leashed cat at WM, or any store that sells folding chairs and beer, some quick purchases will be made and I’ll start live streaming.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So my dog that warns me of an impending blood sugar drop would upset most of you? I am what is known as a brittle diabetic. At times my blood sugar drops for no apparent reason. When I say drops I am talking down into the 30 range and it happens quickly. We do not go anywhere without glucose. If you see me and my dog starts whining and pawing my leg I need sugar, quick. 

He is in training but needed none the less. As I also have Parkinson's my wife and daughter got me a dog big enough to assist me in stabilizing as well. I am so looking forward to the day when he is fully trained. 

Now if I can train him to poop on fakers lap dogs I will be happy. And fetch beer of course. 

5 hours ago, XxthejuicexX said:

I HATE when people bring animals into stores. Leave your dog, cat or parrot at the house and shop. Most I see are not service animals just dumb asses who have to have the pet at Lowe's or Academy.

I like to take my well behaved dogs into retailers that welcome them. Lowes, Cabelas, Rural King, Pestmart, Feeders, etc. I however hate when people take their dogs to retail locations that specifically prohibit pets, such as you know, someplace that sells food for human consumption.

Just now, Murgatroy said:

I like to take my well behaved dogs into retailers that welcome them. Lowes, Cabelas, Rural King, Pestmart, Feeders, etc. I however hate when people take their dogs to retail locations that specifically prohibit pets, such as you know, someplace that sells food for human consumption.

If you look on Lowe's door they only welcome service dog

I just don't get it from a business standpoint. Your dog bites someone and that person sues you and the store you are in. To me it's just not worth it for the stores. I love my animals but they can stay home and wait on me. When I worked at Lowe's we had a dog try and bite a kid, that's a bad day for everyone.

55 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

So my dog that warns me of an impending blood sugar drop would upset most of you? I am what is known as a brittle diabetic. At times my blood sugar drops for no apparent reason. When I say drops I am talking down into the 30 range and it happens quickly. We do not go anywhere without glucose. If you see me and my dog starts whining and pawing my leg I need sugar, quick. 

He is in training but needed none the less. As I also have Parkinson's my wife and daughter got me a dog big enough to assist me in stabilizing as well. I am so looking forward to the day when he is fully trained. 

Now if I can train him to poop on fakers lap dogs I will be happy. And fetch beer of course. 

No, you have a medical need.  It's the people who have no need for them but still want to bring their animal of choice with them everywhere. Or the dude who has the working dog in tac vest talking about how much of a hard-ass he is, but apparently go 5 minutes in public without his dog for "support."

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, n0rlf said:

That is legit for you.. but .. we are talking about some cruddy 20 year old with a mixed breed that is jumping and paying attention to other people instead of her.Not so much of a Heel or stay command.. that vest she  had on that dog was a mesh vest that can be had for 20 bucks anywhere online with " service dog stitched onto it.. No " please do not pet" working dog anywhere on that vest .. I can spot a fake a mile away..legit service dogs do not act or walk and jump at people.. They are trained to ignore anyone and anything..

I take my dog literally everywhere with me.  She doesn't go in most places, but she is better behaved than most kids I see in these stores.  

Some of you would have a stroke in Europe.  It's not uncommon to see dogs in restaurants.  The difference is they are well mannered.  Again, more than I can say for most of the kids I come across these days.

2 hours ago, Dolomite`s Breezy said:

That is legit for you.. but .. we are talking about some cruddy 20 year old with a mixed breed that is jumping and paying attention to other people instead of her.Not so much of a Heel or stay command.. that vest she  had on that dog was a mesh vest that can be had for 20 bucks anywhere online with " service dog stitched onto it.. No " please do not pet" working dog anywhere on that vest .. I can spot a fake a mile away..legit service dogs do not act or walk and jump at people.. They are trained to ignore anyone and anything..

My point, other than some sarcasm, was that some medical dogs are hard to tell what they are for. They may look like just someone wanting their pretty along while actually serving a true need. But 90 percent are most likely BS. As for behavior that is usually indeed the give away. And the hardest part of training for my dog. He is still young enough to want to play at any moment. Training takes a long time. Might be my fault that as a lot of time I leave him home if my family is with me as they know the signs to watch for. It is when it is just me that he is important. I need to get more strict on his training. The sugar part is the easiest. Behavior is the hard part. Especially when people try to feed or play with them. I agree a vest with the no petting sign. It is also going to have a pouch with glucose and instructions on what to do. A big work in progress. 

Now our Silky terror, yes I spelled that correct, is a great storm warning dog. Any thunder in the area and he wants s lap to quiver in. Shakes big time and whines. He was doing that most of the early morning today as the storms came through. 

• Like 1

There are laws in TN about this.  Here are two and I believe there is another concerning how an animal is trained.

39-14-216. Service animals; offenses; restitution

(a)(1) As used in this section, “service animal” means:

(A) Any animal that is individually trained, or being trained by an employee or puppy raiser from a recognized training agency or school to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability; and

(B) Any police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, or police horse.

(2) Other species of animals not specified in this subsection, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition.

And

62-7-112. Guide dogs; admission

(a)(1) No proprietor, employee or other person in charge of any place of public accommodation, amusement or recreation, including, but not limited to, any inn, hotel, restaurant, eating house, barber shop, billiard parlor, store, public conveyance on land or water, theater, motion picture house, public educational institution or elevator, shall refuse to permit a blind, physically disabled or deaf or hard of hearing person to enter the place or to make use of the accommodations provided when the accommodations are available, for the reason that the blind, physically disabled or deaf or hard of hearing person is being led or accompanied by a dog guide. A dog guide shall be under the control of its handler. A place of public accommodation shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a dog guide.

(2)(A) No proprietor, employee or other person in charge of any place of public accommodation, amusement or recreation, including, but not limited to, any inn, hotel, restaurant, eating house, barber shop, billiard parlor, store, public conveyance on land or water, theater, motion picture house, public educational institution or elevator, shall refuse to permit a dog guide trainer to enter such place or to make use of the accommodations provided in those places, when the accommodations are available, for the reason that the dog guide trainer is being led or accompanied by a dog guide in training; provided, that the dog guide in training, when led or accompanied by a dog guide trainer, is wearing a harness and is held on a leash by the dog guide trainer or, when led or accompanied by a dog guide trainer, is held on a leash by the dog guide trainer; and provided, further, that the dog guide trainer shall first have presented for inspection credentials issued by an accredited school for training dog guides.

(B)(i) For purposes of this section, “dog guide in training” includes dogs being raised for an accredited school for training dog guides; provided, however, that a dog being raised for that purpose is:

(a) Being held on a leash and is under the control of its raiser or trainer, who shall have available for inspection credentials from the accredited school for which the dog is being raised; and

(b) Wearing a collar, leash or other appropriate apparel or device that identifies the dog with the accredited school for which it is being raised.

(ii) “Dog guide in training” also includes the socialization process that occurs with the dog's trainer or raiser prior to the dog's advanced training; provided, that the socialization process is under the authorization of an accredited school.

(3) A place of public accommodation may ask a person to remove a dog guide or dog guide in training from the premises if:

(A) The dog guide or dog guide in training is out of control and its handler does not take effective action to control it; or

(B) The dog guide or dog guide in training is not housebroken.

1 hour ago, Dane said:

There are laws in TN about this.  Here are two and I believe there is another concerning how an animal is trained.

39-14-216. Service animals; offenses; restitution

(a)(1) As used in this section, “service animal” means:

(A) Any animal that is individually trained, or being trained by an employee or puppy raiser from a recognized training agency or school to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability; and

(B) Any police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, or police horse.

(2) Other species of animals not specified in this subsection, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition.

And

62-7-112. Guide dogs; admission

(a)(1) No proprietor, employee or other person in charge of any place of public accommodation, amusement or recreation, including, but not limited to, any inn, hotel, restaurant, eating house, barber shop, billiard parlor, store, public conveyance on land or water, theater, motion picture house, public educational institution or elevator, shall refuse to permit a blind, physically disabled or deaf or hard of hearing person to enter the place or to make use of the accommodations provided when the accommodations are available, for the reason that the blind, physically disabled or deaf or hard of hearing person is being led or accompanied by a dog guide. A dog guide shall be under the control of its handler. A place of public accommodation shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a dog guide.

(2)(A) No proprietor, employee or other person in charge of any place of public accommodation, amusement or recreation, including, but not limited to, any inn, hotel, restaurant, eating house, barber shop, billiard parlor, store, public conveyance on land or water, theater, motion picture house, public educational institution or elevator, shall refuse to permit a dog guide trainer to enter such place or to make use of the accommodations provided in those places, when the accommodations are available, for the reason that the dog guide trainer is being led or accompanied by a dog guide in training; provided, that the dog guide in training, when led or accompanied by a dog guide trainer, is wearing a harness and is held on a leash by the dog guide trainer or, when led or accompanied by a dog guide trainer, is held on a leash by the dog guide trainer; and provided, further, that the dog guide trainer shall first have presented for inspection credentials issued by an accredited school for training dog guides.

(B)(i) For purposes of this section, “dog guide in training” includes dogs being raised for an accredited school for training dog guides; provided, however, that a dog being raised for that purpose is:

(a) Being held on a leash and is under the control of its raiser or trainer, who shall have available for inspection credentials from the accredited school for which the dog is being raised; and

(b) Wearing a collar, leash or other appropriate apparel or device that identifies the dog with the accredited school for which it is being raised.

(ii) “Dog guide in training” also includes the socialization process that occurs with the dog's trainer or raiser prior to the dog's advanced training; provided, that the socialization process is under the authorization of an accredited school.

(3) A place of public accommodation may ask a person to remove a dog guide or dog guide in training from the premises if:

(A) The dog guide or dog guide in training is out of control and its handler does not take effective action to control it; or

(B) The dog guide or dog guide in training is not housebroken.

If only it was illegal to break the law.... 

19 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Just left Walmart, I know I am a glutton for punishment, and a young lady, obviously a millennial, had a dog with a service dog vest on. 

I will say I am generally not one to say anything but this dog was definitely not a service dog. What clued me in was the fact the dog was struggling to climb on everyone. As well as the fact it lunged at a young child. 

But I bet if you said anything she would flip her lid crying she needed an “emotional support” animal to go shopping.

BTW, “emotional support” is not recognized by the ADA as a use for a service animal. 

I wish they would require some sort of ID that retailers could verify. 

As much as I hate to say this, they should require some sort of registration for service animals.  This "emotional support" thing is getting out of hand and causing people with an actual need for a service animal, issues.

21 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

As much as I hate to say this, they should require some sort of registration for service animals.  This "emotional support" thing is getting out of hand and causing people with an actual need for a service animal, issues.

I see what ya did there. :cheers:

• Haha 1

I have a Malinois/ Shepherd cross that goes literally everywhere I go. She’s nine months old and has been by my side since she was 8 weeks and a day. Training this dog is part of my lifestyle, and when we do go places I’m proud to say she is better behaved than most children I see. She’s no service dog, but we’ve never been questioned beyond “can I pet her” which is usually answered with “no”. We are at work when we’re in public.

• Like 1

We were at Home Depot with Sam, who is a young dog. I am teaching him to not get excited at the Home Depot workers but they ALWAYS shove treats in his face or try to call to him. I ask them to wait and they always get upset that I will not drop what I am doing to let them give him treats or pet on him.

The other day my wife had Sam and a worker called to Sam as he walked up to pet him, which got Sam excited. My wife told the worker to not pet him. The worker walked off talking crap. My wife asked him what he said and he got pissy with her saying don't bring your dog into the store unless they are allowed to pet them. 

On a different note dogs can see orange. Sam only responds to people with orange on. Doesn’t happen at Lowe’s. I imagine football season is going to be fun. 

For the most part, service animals or not, I usually enjoy seeing dogs in public places such as Lowes, Petsmart, etc.  Saw a few at the newly opened (as in opened last week) Rural King in Sweetwater last Sunday.  Heck, as long as they are well behaved I figure the more dogs the merrier.  Generally speaking it's all the damn people I can't stand - especially all the little brats whose parents let them run around as if they are on the playground and not in a store.

My dog hardly ever goes with places with me, however.  If I am going to town to pick up something to eat (call ahead and pick up) I will sometimes let her ride but otherwise she mostly doesn't go.  She is good with people but not always so good with other dogs despite having been socialized to them at an early age.  If she weren't so unpredictable when it comes to other animals I would probably take her more places with me (although not to the grocery store, etc.)  Knoxville and the surrounding area is becoming more and more dog friendly with dogs allowed on the outdoor/patio areas of many restaurants.  It would be fun to take her with me to, for instance, the biergarten at Schulzbrau but I know it wouldn't be a good idea.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 5