Service animals

• Admin Team

Heck, I generally like seeing even poorly behaved dogs most of the time.

I saw someone's "service dog" with a vest going absolutely bonkers in Target the other day.  biting on it's leash, pulling, jumping, dashing in every direction.

I chuckled to myself at the owner's frustration over her lack of control and thought, "I bet you're really rethinking bringing your dog in here with the vest you got off eBay." About that time, the dog pooped right in the middle of the aisle. The lady bent down to try to address it with the dog's leash still in her hand. About that time the dog dashed towards something that caught it's eye and the lady found herself flat on her back having fallen in poop.

It may be childish - but I laughed about it most of the afternoon.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

I saw someone's "service dog" with a vest going absolutely bonkers in Target the other day.  biting on it's leash, pulling, jumping, dashing in every direction.

I chuckled to myself at the owner's frustration over her lack of control and thought, "I bet you're really rethinking bringing your dog in here with the vest you got off eBay." About that time, the dog pooped right in the middle of the aisle. The lady bent down to try to address it with the dog's leash still in her hand. About that time the dog dashed towards something that caught it's eye and the lady found herself flat on her back having fallen in poop.

It may be childish - but I would have paid $5.00 to be able to witness exactly what you described.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I would love to have seen this is person.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
You wound up feeling kind of bad for her - in a "that was a really well taught lesson" kind of way.
Even the employees who were going to be bearing the brunt of cleaning it up were laughing.

Schadenfreude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Surely you had your cell phone handy for a video.

4 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

We were at Home Depot with Sam, who is a young dog. I am teaching him to not get excited at the Home Depot workers but they ALWAYS shove treats in his face or try to call to him. I ask them to wait and they always get upset that I will not drop what I am doing to let them give him treats or pet on him.

The other day my wife had Sam and a worker called to Sam as he walked up to pet him, which got Sam excited. My wife told the worker to not pet him. The worker walked off talking crap. My wife asked him what he said and he got pissy with her saying don't bring your dog into the store unless they are allowed to pet them. 

On a different note dogs can see orange. Sam only responds to people with orange on. Doesn’t happen at Lowe’s. I imagine football season is going to be fun. 

I'm almost sure I've misread this thread, but here are the two conclusions I can come to:

1)Taking my dog in Walmart=I'm a jerk

Taking my dog in Home Depot=I'm Cool

or

2)Taking my dog in a store=I'm a jerk

You taking your dog in a store=You're cool

• Like 1
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'm almost sure I've misread this thread, but here are the two conclusions I can come to:

1)Taking my dog in Walmart=I'm a jerk

Taking my dog in Home Depot=I'm Cool

or

2)Taking my dog in a store=I'm a jerk

You taking your dog in a store=You're cool

My takeaway was a bit different. 

Well behaved dog, regardless of “service” dog status =cool

Il-mannered dog, regardless of “service” dog status = not cool

pretending that your untrained cur is a “service” dog= really un-####ing-cool

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Gotcha. I thought I knew him better than that. Thanks.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JAB said:

For the most part, service animals or not, I usually enjoy seeing dogs in public places such as Lowes, Petsmart, etc.  Saw a few at the newly opened (as in opened last week) Rural King in Sweetwater last Sunday.  Heck, as long as they are well behaved I figure the more dogs the merrier.  Generally speaking it's all the damn people I can't stand - especially all the little brats whose parents let them run around as if they are on the playground and not in a store.

My dog hardly ever goes with places with me, however.  If I am going to town to pick up something to eat (call ahead and pick up) I will sometimes let her ride but otherwise she mostly doesn't go.  She is good with people but not always so good with other dogs despite having been socialized to them at an early age.  If she weren't so unpredictable when it comes to other animals I would probably take her more places with me (although not to the grocery store, etc.)  Knoxville and the surrounding area is becoming more and more dog friendly with dogs allowed on the outdoor/patio areas of many restaurants.  It would be fun to take her with me to, for instance, the biergarten at Schulzbrau but I know it wouldn't be a good idea.

What kind of terrier is she?

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Surely you had your cell phone handy for a video.

I’m probably lucky that I live in a place where I don’t have the need to think about filming stuff.  Or maybe it’s a generational thing.  But I’ll tell you, it wouldn’t have crossed my mind in 100 years to pull out my phone and fIlm.  

I suppose it could just be me, though. Other than someone driving unsafely while my kids are nearby, I can’t remember the last time a stranger really offended me.  

Life is really short. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tobashadow said:

I wonder if you can get a service animal vest for a Clydesdale?

Why yes you can. The only problem with the Clydesdale is fitting it into the bathroom stall with you.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rob261 said:

I’m thinking I need a service orangutan a la Clint Eastwood in ‘every which way but loose’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk so slow now, a service sloth would be the best service animal for me.

Plus with the look on the sloth's face, I'd no longer be the creepy one in the room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Tobashadow said:
16 minutes ago, Raoul said:
Why yes you can. The only problem with the Clydesdale is fitting it into the bathroom stall with you.

Well wouldn't that be a Disability Act violation?

No, the building codes only consider accomodations for the disabled person, not the service animals. ;) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

That sums it up.

I don't have a problem with people bringing their pets into stores. I don't even have a problem if the dog isn't perfectly behaved. The problem I have is with those people who try pass their pets off as a service animal when they are obviously not service animals. 

I view it the same way as when someone parks in a handicap spot who does not have a disability. 

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Raoul said:

What kind of terrier is she?

She is actually a mutt.  I got her 'free to a good home' at the Crossville flea market.  Near as I can tell, based on what the lady told me and the research I have done, she is a black and tan Mountain Cur (a Mountain Cur is a specific type of mutt that is actually recognized as a valid mixed breed by some kennel clubs - in the book, apparently Ol' Yeller was a Mountain Cur.)  These were the old farm dogs bred for general purpose duties.  They weren't herding dogs but were smart enough to help with herding.  They weren't high-bred hunting dogs but have been used to hunt everything from squirrel to wild hogs.  They often had/have a mix of hound (for the hunting/scenting ability), terrier (for the tenaciousness and fearlessness) and other breeds, depending on what duties they were intended to perform.  She is very loyal and generally pretty sweet but when she decides to whoop up on another dog her entire demeanor changes.  Her eyes even seem to change and she goes right for the throat.  She hates possums, too.  She isn't quite knee tall to me but very muscular.   I have seen her grab a grown possum just behind its shoulder blades, yank it up off the ground, heard bones being crushed by her teeth and then saw shake it until she broke its neck.

Funny thing, she will bark at people but will usually back off from them if they keep coming closer.  There has only been once that I have thought she really might attack someone.  See, she knows what guns are and is kind of skittish of them - not just being fired but she will sometimes kind of cower if I am even holding a gun.  One morning, though, a cop came to the front door (for something not directly related to me.)  I thought Millie was going to go through the storm door to get to him.  I don't think I have ever heard her bark and snarl quite like that at a person.  I honestly think she saw the gun on his belt and - as skittish as she is of guns - was afraid he was going to hurt me and so was trying to get at him before he did.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Most of ya'll know I lost Kasey back in October and I decided I had to have another dog in my life cause i have had dogs in my life since about age 6 so not normal for me not to have one. I went searching all the dog rescue centers in the area and my vet was also searching for the right dog for me. Well, I found Darby and soon as I saw her she was the one and would be coming home with me. At the Rescue Center she was very laid back and almost timid till the lease and collar went on her and she became a new dog. When I opened up the back door of the Jeep she knew exactly where she was suppose to be and she didn't hesitate. She loves to ride but I don't take her into any store except Tractor Supply and thats because a lot of folks take their dogs in there. 

Once home she needed to go potty so she did and then we went in the house. It didn't take her but a few minutes to check the place out and she followed me every where I went in the house and still does to this day. She loves to go out and play and chase the wild life in the yard. Playing with a few toys she would fetch them and bring them back for me to throw the again. I learned something new about here after returning home from the hospital. She loves to play stick more than toys. Evidently who ever owned her previously had trained her to fetch with a stick cause I can throw a toy and a stick out in the yard and she will berng the stick back every time. So now we play stick when we go out.

As far as her guard dog situation, she will back every one away from the storm door as she is vicious and trying her best to bite them but she is all show so far. Once I open the door does not matter would it is she is their best friend and totally glad to see them.

That worked out great when I was in the hospital because I had about 4 buddys that were taking turns coming to the house and letting her out a couple times a day and playing fetch with her and feeding her and making sure she had plenty of water and she didn't have any issues with letting them in the house at all. Now that i am back home she has gone back to her being aggressive to them till I open the door and then she is friends with them again.  She loves her nice big bed. It is a Memory Foam Twin bed Mattress with a big old quilt on it that she hides snacks in all the time.

001.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 1
22 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Geez! :bowrofl::bowrofl: I'd have paid money to witness that..:devil:

I would much rather have a dog in the store than some of these wild a** kids people bring with them. I have seen multiple times people turn their kids loose when they enter the store with absolutely no supervision. The worst is the ones who jump on the handicap carts and proceed to race around the aisles. I want to just snatch their butts off the cart and duct tape 'em to a pole. But that would be child abuse.

Service / therapy critters have their place.

If that place includes traveling outside your home, it should be a well trained and behaved animal.

Remember the pet monkey that ripped it's owner's face off?

Consider a crisis environment - fire, car crash, explosion...you are unconscious and hurt and your service animal, especially a dog with unearned red vest,  is able to act reasonably normally and identify first responders as good guys?

Edited by Gotthegoods