Dick's Sporting Goods anti 2nd A

Went to my local Dick's this evening.  Spoke with the store manger.  Told him this is not personally directed towards him.  Handed him a copy of their corporate leadership anti Second Amendment announcement from today and my Dick's Score Card, and told him I am offended, they have lost me as a customer, and I will tell others why I no longer shop there.

• Like 3

I thought all Dicks stores had stopped selling guns a few years ago. I guess it was just our Local Knoxville store. Since the Knoxville one is the only one in the area, I have absolutely no reason to shop there. I don't really need anything in the way of sports gear, baseballs, golfing and such. Their camping gear was meh at best, and better deals and better brands are on Amazon. The clothing is overpriced. I did like shopping their hunting shooting department, but that has been closed down in Knoxville. So, I really have absolutely no reason to shop at Dicks.

Ironically, here in Knoxville the store is located on Peters Rd. We always call it Dicks on Peters.

I could be wrong here, but can a business prohibit someone from doing something if they are otherwise qualified?  Can a bar come out and say "we don't think people should be allowed to buy beer until they are 40, so you have to be 40 to drink here" would that be okay, or is that age discrimination? 

Edited by 10-Ring
15 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I could be wrong here, but can a business prohibit someone from doing something if they are otherwise qualified?  Can a bar come out and say "we don't think people should be allowed to buy beer until they are 40, so you have to be 40 to drink here" would that be okay, or is that age discrimination? 

Judge Napolitano seems to think Federal law doesn’t cover it, but some state laws may.

• Moderators

Brings up a good point. If legal via both State and Federal law, isn't it age discrimination if someone is legally allowed to purchase a firearm at age 18? FFL's can refuse any firearm transaction from what I understand, but "We don't sale to anyone under 21" could theoretically be construed as age discrimination. To some extent, it would be the same as "We don't sell to Muslims" or "We don't sell to women".

Interesting thoughts. Which may null considering there's a decent chance the Federal age limit gets raised to 21.

4 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Brings up a good point. If legal via both State and Federal law, isn't it age discrimination if someone is legally allowed to purchase a firearm at age 18? FFL's can refuse any firearm transaction from what I understand, but "We don't sale to anyone under 21" could theoretically be construed as age discrimination. To some extent, it would be the same as "We don't sell to Muslims" or "We don't sell to women".

Interesting thoughts. Which may null considering there's a decent chance the Federal age limit gets raised to 21.

Good point. Another concerning thought is what limits a state to 21? Could a liberal legislature raise it to 30, 40, etc.? I get their thought process I guess... to keep high school aged kids from buying guns, but it just seems like a backdoor infringement on the 2A to me.

• Moderators
Good point. Another concerning thought is what limits a state to 21? Could a liberal legislature raise it to 30, 40, etc.? I get their thought process I guess... to keep high school aged kids from buying guns, but it just seems like a backdoor infringement on the 2A to me.

But it’s dumb to begin with. You would either see sub-21 aged people steal guns for their crimes or a greater influx of of crime for just-21 aged people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, MikeW said:

How is this a good marketing move? 

Because "assault style rifles" were already less than 1% of their sales.   It's a PR move with no impact to their bottom line. Whatever sales they lose from one side they'll likely gain double from the other.  

15 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Similar to the wedding cake company not selling to a gay couple. SCOTUS has already ruled  that to be discrimination. We'll see if those 18-20 will be considered a protected class. 

Edited by peejman
11 hours ago, i1afli said:

I stopped shopping there when the Dicks in W. Knoxville stopped selling guns a few years ago. 

We used to laugh at the fact that it was Dick's on Peters Rd. Across from Harry Lane. :D 

Juvenile I know..

Nobody goes to Dick’s to buy a AR anyway, and I have never bought a firearm at at any of the big retailers. When you just ask to look at a gun across the counter, they act like they are scared you are fixing to shoot everybody in sight.