Video cameras vs traditional security systems for residential

Mamba

When we move soon I'm considering buying one or the other; a wireless camera system or a wired/wireless door/window system. I've setup the latter in the distant past and I know that they are much easier these days, but I like the idea of the advanced external notice provided by the former. My brother has a couple Arlo Pro cams but without the alarm. I'm looking at one of these:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arlo-pro-indoor-outdoor-hd-wire-free-security-camera-system-3-pack-white/5665611.p
vs something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SimpliSafe-Wireless-Security-Command-Bravo/dp/B001PBYQHG

Yes it'd be great to do both but budget-wise I need to pick one and I like the idea of keeping an eye on things at home or away plus the 2-way audio for dealing with visitors. I also don't like false-positive alarm-bell fire-drills from motion detectors (we have a beagle dog) or faulty sensors...been there. With the Arlo system I can choose to manually activate the alarm (or not) once I see the source of the notification. So that's where I'm leaning...What'chall think?

27 minutes ago, dralarms said:

Between the 2 I’d go with arlo. Simplisafe is junk and anti gun. 

I’ve got a five camera Arlo setup on my house, ADT on the entry exit points and a Ring Pro Doorbell. It’s overkill for a quiet neighborhood and a house that I’ve lived in for almost twenty five years.

The only things I’ve seen in months are a couple of stray cats, kids going to school, the garbage collector, a couple of raccoons and the FEDEX driver sling a flat halfway across my yard to the front door.  

I enjoy watching the live feed while at work and out of town. 

• Like 1

My choices were between Arlo and Nest. I had outlets available and didn’t want rechargeable; so I went with Nest. The yearly subscription fees are high, but other than that I’ve been happy with them. They have a lot of control in the settings and everything can be adjusted with your phone. I bought a set with an indoor and an outdoor on sale at Kohls.

https://nest.com/cameras/

Any other general recommendations?  I've been considering cameras with a DVR system for a while. 

Are the wireless cameras reasonably secure?  I've heard the stories...   I was also considering POE cameras as the locations I've got in mind are reasonably accessible. 

6 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I had outlets available and didn’t want rechargeable; so I went with Nest.

I prefer rechargeable...I'll buy a charger and extra batts so it'll be quick to change them out. And depending on settings they should last 4-6mo on a charge.

My bigger concern is protecting the cameras; pretty easy to steal tho' you should get a good view of the thief, but mostt wear hoods/masks which is a problem. Which begs the question...do I "go loud" with "Video Recording 24hr" style signs or "go silent" with no signs and try to hide the cameras? Not an easy task for the angles and ease of access for recharging that I want.

• Like 1

We have both the arlo pro and simplisafe system in our house.  Simplisafe is a monitored alarm system, when/if something were to go off help will be dispatched and I am alerted.  The arlo is simply an alert for me but won't do much to get help there if I do not see the activity.  IMHO a monitored system is a better safety mechanism since it does contact help, arlo is good for seeing who is at your door or what time your neighbor went to work.  Long story short is I recommend both, but if I only had one it would Simplisafe.

I am triple layered with a monitored alarm system, including smoke detectors, wired cam /dvr setup, and a ring doorbell.

To me the monitored security is crucial and should be linked to smoke/heat sensors. Odds are far greater of a fire than burglary and if you’re not home you’re screwed.

DVR system i have is observable anywhere through phone app

Probably the most useful tool i have found is the ring doorbell with a ring chime for each level of the house. It has an adjustable motion sensor, the ability to see who is at your door, or even if someone just pulled up is amazingly handy - where i live unless you are expected there shouldn’t be anyone up nosing up my driveway unless you are the ups man. The app also can send you alerts which is great again - when you are not home you know instantly if someone is there. Then you can use the security cams if needed to get additional views

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the "ring doorbell" idea if you already have something like the Arlo Pro...you can already see and talk with whoever trips the audio and/or motion detection. As for paying for a monitoring service, we've had that in the past with ADT...not impressed...a lot of $ each month. Plus we won't have a landline, which makes those types of services more problematic. I do like the idea of tying in the smoke sensors...will have to look into that.

I don't get the "ring doorbell" idea if you already have something like the Arlo Pro...you can already see and talk with whoever trips the audio and/or motion detection. As for paying for a monitoring service, we've had that in the past with ADT...not impressed...a lot of $ each month. Plus we won't have a landline, which makes those types of services more problematic. I do like the idea of tying in the smoke sensors...will have to look into that.

I am not familiar with arlo. From what I can tell it only captures when it detects motion. Lots of room for failure there imho. My DVR wired cameras are on continuous record. Nothing to be missed ever.

Monitoring to me is critical - with an integrated security/fire system it guarantees that first responders will be called. These other systems rely on YOU to do that. Lots of room for failure. And monthly monitoring is pretty cheap.

You do not need a landline for monitored alarms. Cellular comm is the way to go since the phone line can't be cut. Your alarm guy can set this up for you.

ADT and companies like that charge a high monthly fee with "free" equipment. Of course you are better off paying for your own hardware and then just the monthly monitoring. Lots of companies out there to do it

Security stuff that is helpful imho:

Window/door sensors
Smoke alarm
Heat sensors (different than smokes)
Glass break if you have fixed Windows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 10 Arlo cameras with the siren base, a mix of  Pro's and Pro2's. I'v been using Arlo for about 3 years now and I think they are great and highly recommnd them, they can also be triggered with sound as well.

Edited by Wicked1911
21 minutes ago, Wicked1911 said:

I have a 10 Arlo cameras with the siren base, a mix of  Pro's and Pro2's. I'v been using Arlo for about 3 years now and I think they are great and highly recommnd them, they can also be triggered with sound as well.

Do you use power or just recharge the batteries?

52 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Do you use power or just recharge the batteries?

I just charge the batteries, I also have three charging stations so it's quicker. I like to keep video quality on the highest setting so I have to recharge them about every two and a half - three months.

Edited by Wicked1911
  • 1 month later...