Why should I buy an AR-15?

The current gun control panic just some how feels different to me than the last few. Maybe I'm just getting older. But recently I've been giving thought to finally breaking down and buying an AR. I'm not even real sure why? :shrug:

First let me say that I just flat don't like the AR-15. This goes back to some bad experiences with the M-16A1 when I was in the Army during the early 1970s. I admit they were accurate IF you could keep the damned thing working. :mad:  And some of the strange malfunctions I saw were down right scary. :eek:  I've also always felt like Sam Elliot was right in We Were Solders when he said "If the time comes when I need one, I'm sure they'll be plenty of 'em laying around." Also I've never been very impressed by that tiny varmint cartridge it fires. 

I have no need for one as I already own two M1 Garands, two M1 Carbines and three M1As. So why the hell am I even thinking about this? :confused:   Let me add that if, and that's a mighty big IF, I were to buy one, that I'd go with a name brand. Right now I'm favoring the Springfield Saint as I have several Springers and trust them completely. I'd also go for one of the 16" M-forgeries as I'd want it as compact as possible without going SBR. On top of that, there's the added cost of extra mags (at least 10), a minimum of 1000 rds of ammo and whatever other stuff I end up getting. In short, this won't be cheap. :shake:

I never even got the urge for one in '94 or the several panics of the last ten years or so. In fact, last year when my friend passed away his wife would have just given me his and everything that went with it. But I let it pass because I just didn't want one. Again, I have no idea why I'm even considering this. But the fact is that I am. 

I know there's a lot of people here who just love the damned things. So convince me that I need one or make the arguments that'll talk me out of it. I'll try to keep an open mind. :rolleyes:

If you don't want it for yourself, get one anyway with the idea of passing it to your children or grandchildren.  They'll be thankful to you.  And, if you wind up shooting yours a little, I'm pretty confident you will find yourself having a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Whisper

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Because you can... at least for now. 

Best answer I can come up with.

I didn't care for them either. I still don't like the way the look. I've bought em, built em, tinkered with em, ect.

I've yet to shoot one that wasn't as accurate as any bolt rifle I've ever fired.

I've also yet to fire one that wasn't 100 percent reliable.

Think of them as tinker toys for adults. YOu can take em apart, put em back together, and dress em up any number of ways to suit your fancy.

• Like 1

Combination of the two answers above, because you can and even if you don't develop a liking for it you can pass it down.  The recipient may be very appreciative.  Not to mention, all my ARs have appreciated more in value than the investment would have in my savings account.

Edited by tacops

I am wrestling with the same thing. I have had one and liked it ok but didn’t love it, and traded out of it for stuff I liked better. But I am mulling over the idea of a Saint as you are. Trying to decide if I need one bad enough to part with stuff I like better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

I just thought of another reason you should buy an AR:  Because left-wing authoritarians don't want you to have one.

Hope this helps,
Whisper

I have s few ARs, for the above reason.  I still prefer a Garand or M1A

• Like 1

If you have enough ammo or reloading supplies to feed what you have then screw the AR. If it gets really crazy it'll come down to ammo. If it's really that stupid you can shoot your way into an AR.

• Like 2

I have two SBR'd lowers and one has a 6.8 11.5 barrel that shoots lights outs. It made hunting kinda boring so I went to using a garand for hogs and just got a model 70 super grade in 30-06 that I can't wait to get my scope back from Swarovski so I can get it dialed in for next year. 

AR's work really well but kinda made things not as fun.

Sold my garand to a great guy here but I'll get another one soon. I enjoyed shooting the garand a lot. 

Edited by jwhjwh54

Gun control panic???

I managed to live 50 years without one. Now, just a few years later I own more than I care to state publicly. After running a friend's in a carbine class I  bought an AR-15 and then an AR-10. After that I started building them. For me, putting them together is almost as much fun as shooting them. You don't have to stick with .223/5.56.

It sounds like you have some nice semi-autos already. If the AR isn't floating your boat, buy something that does.

• Like 1

Because left-wing authoritarians don't want you to have one.

Whisper, that just might be why I'm interested. For more than 20 years I've seen the black rifle demonized by the antis with them saying stuff like "nobody needs one of those". Actually, I don't need one. But ya know, I'm just enough of a a-hole that if somebody tells me not to do something, I'll do it anyway just for spite. :devil:  Maybe I'm just finally fed up with the whole anti-AR lies and BS. 

Raoul: That always was the game plan. :dirty:

If I do get one, I'll go with the 5.56. The other calibers have their appeal, but I'd start simple with ammo that's readily available for sale OR easy to find in a SHTF situation. ;)

There's a gun show here next month and also my birthday.  The Germantown show is always plumb full of ARs. It'll be a good opportunity to do some comparison shopping. I still haven't made up my mind, but just maybe I'll buy myself a birthday present.  :D

• Like 4

Craig, I resisted for years as well. Had equivalent long guns that shot real sized bullets and everyone else has an AR.

Then they got cheap, I ended up with an M&P 15. 

Ammo is easy to find, easy to shoot with no recoil, and get one while it's still possible.

I am indifferent about AR's, but I love to build things.  I now have 6 variations and two receiver sets sitting idle waiting until I get another hankering.  I've had an erector set since I was old enough to remember and these are the erector set of the Centerfire world.  I don't have a single one which would be considered a typical AR.  2 long barreled varmint rifles (223 and 204 Ruger), 2 SBR's (223 and 9mm), a 22lr, and an AR-10.  I have a feeling a 224 Valkyrie is in my near plans.   I don't shoot any of them a lot, but I enjoyed putting them together and when I do shoot them, I do enjoy it.

If I didn't like to build them, I would probably have 1 just to say I have one, although it would probably be the 9mm as I like the idea of it for short distance personal defense should I ever need to use it for that.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

You don’t need one; you have some quality rifles already. Your M1A’s will do anything an AR will do; only much better. Unless you perceive getting into a situation where you need multiple 30 round magazines of underpowered rifle ammo.

You aren’t missing anything. I’ve owned several over the years and own four right now, a .22 LR, a 5.56/.223, a 7.62/308, and a .223 pistol. With the exception of the .308 (My go to SHTF rifle) and the pistol (trunk gun) they are just range toys. I won’t say I have never had a malfunction with an AR; but I can’t remember one right now.

I have them simply because I can. I have a lot of guns that I don’t use or carry very often but just wanted them to play with. I know it’s not popular to call guns “Toys” but that’s exactly what they are to me.

If you are just looking for something to buy, do you have a quality bolt action rifle with a quality scope than can make a 1000 yard shot?

Do I think AR’s will be outlawed? Possibly by some of the states, but I doubt the Feds do it. When the Dems get back in power if they get it done we don’t know that they will be Grandfathered or transferable to family members. But if that happens I doubt your Garand or M1A’s will be safe either.

• Like 1

I don't like the caliber and did not like the one I had in Vietnam. The platform is just O K to me but I would need one in a better caliber. I do have a last generation Ruger mini 14 Ranch Gun just to play with. If I got one it would be in 308, or 6.5 Creedmoor. Just don't like the 556 or 223 calibers, however who want to sell the farm to purchase one (too expensive).    

Edited by pop pop