Why should I buy an AR-15?

There are as many reasons to buy one as there are not to. I had one for yrs., and sold it recently, not because I had any issues with it, I just needed

the money more for other things.

As for the reliability some have questioned, I had a M16A1 w/ M203 attached, in Vietnam in '67. Never had a problem with it, & my life & others

depended on it's performance. No doubt there were problems, like there is with any thing, just not the "bad boy " it's sometimes made out to be.

It also helps to clean it once in a while. ( major issue in 'Nam )

If you've got the itch, go ahead & scratch it, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

It’s an affordable, lightweight, accurate, reliable, easily configurable rifle.

What’s not to like?

I have a few and some stripped lowers that I’ve not built up, but my interest has moved towards battle rifles as of late and I started with the best in that category. The FAL. 

• Like 1

First understand that this would primarily  be a range toy. My "go to rifle" is and always will be the Scout Squad. OTOH, the AR would be decked out as a CQB rifle, just in case. 

Second, I haven't absolutely committed to buying one. It could turn out like the last time I went to buy an AR. Remember the Y2K scare? At the time I didn't own a magazine fed, semi-auto centerfire rifle. I thought it would be a good idea to get one and went to a gun show with every intention of buying an AR. I was standing at the table with a rifle in hand and money in my pocket. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I bought a used Federal Ordnance M-14A and you see where that led. Best choice I ever made. :up: 

Besides, by the time I get to the gun show, pickins may be slim. From what I've seen on other gun boards, ARs are selling fast right now. It seems the 18 to 20 year olds are buying while they still can. Can't say as I blame them either. I'll keep mulling it over and see what happens when I get to the gun show. Or maybe I'll run across a good deal on a used one before then. Ya never know what might happen. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2018 at 2:15 PM, Grayfox54 said:

The current gun control panic just some how feels different to me than the last few. Maybe I'm just getting older. But recently I've been giving thought to finally breaking down and buying an AR. I'm not even real sure why? :shrug:

First let me say that I just flat don't like the AR-15. This goes back to some bad experiences with the M-16A1 when I was in the Army during the early 1970s. I admit they were accurate IF you could keep the damned thing working. :mad:  And some of the strange malfunctions I saw were down right scary. :eek:  I've also always felt like Sam Elliot was right in We Were Solders when he said "If the time comes when I need one, I'm sure they'll be plenty of 'em laying around." Also I've never been very impressed by that tiny varmint cartridge it fires. 

I have no need for one as I already own two M1 Garands, two M1 Carbines and three M1As. So why the hell am I even thinking about this? :confused:   Let me add that if, and that's a mighty big IF, I were to buy one, that I'd go with a name brand. Right now I'm favoring the Springfield Saint as I have several Springers and trust them completely. I'd also go for one of the 16" M-forgeries as I'd want it as compact as possible without going SBR. On top of that, there's the added cost of extra mags (at least 10), a minimum of 1000 rds of ammo and whatever other stuff I end up getting. In short, this won't be cheap. :shake:

I never even got the urge for one in '94 or the several panics of the last ten years or so. In fact, last year when my friend passed away his wife would have just given me his and everything that went with it. But I let it pass because I just didn't want one. Again, I have no idea why I'm even considering this. But the fact is that I am. 

I know there's a lot of people here who just love the damned things. So convince me that I need one or make the arguments that'll talk me out of it. I'll try to keep an open mind. :rolleyes:

Sir, first and foremost, thank you for your service! A lot has been engineered out since the M16A1s debuted. I had the A2 & A3 during my military service. A lot of the malfunctions I also witnessed were additionally scary; Mil-Spec parts leave a lot to be desired. Fast forward to 2018, companies like VSEVEN, LANTAC, FAXON, BALLISTIC ADVANTAGE, & AERO PRECISION have good Bolt Carriers and excellent parts. But the only one that I have seen address the malfunctions that you and I were privy to is from Sharps Rifle Company.

A small "start-up" out of Florida purchased the old Christian Sharps name and used the AR-15 platform to introduce a 25 caliber cartridge for the AR-15. However they went a step further and made improvements to the Bolt Carrier, and the Bolt itself that greatly reduce the issues that have plagued the rifle since Vietnam.

Sharps had some difficulties with the previous "Balanced Bolt Carrier." They have since eliminated the issues they experienced and offer a rock solid BCG for under $200. I own three of their BCGs, one of the NP3 treated that you can't find anymore, one in Zrn, and one inf DLC. It might be a lot to analyze, but these surface treatments actually help with lubricity in the Upper Receiver. I have run hundreds of rounds through them with zero issues!

The difference between the Mil-Spec hardware and the Sharps BCGs are like night and day. Mil-Spec always felt very clunky to me and I never really cared for it, favoring my M1 Garand to it any day. But recently I decided to build two AR-15 using Aero Precision parts. Aero makes their parts to exacting tolerances that surpass Mil-Spec. These upper end parts (for not a lot of money) end up making a huge difference. The two Areos that I have with the Sharos BCGs are the smoothest running AR-15 I have ever fired.

So, I can understand your frustration with the M16A1s, whereas I also have reservations with the A2s & A3s, and opted for the "artwork" peices from WWII, Korea, and early Vietnam era. However, if you were to purchase quality parts, such as Aero and the like, I think you would be greatly impressed with the results. Places like Rifle.Life, Granite Ridge Outfitters, and B Kings Firearms, Brownells, offer excellent parts for good prices.

Edited by Ehunt
On 3/3/2018 at 10:37 AM, Grayfox54 said:

First understand that this would primarily  be a range toy. My "go to rifle" is and always will be the Scout Squad. OTOH, the AR would be decked out as a CQB rifle, just in case. 

Second, I haven't absolutely committed to buying one. It could turn out like the last time I went to buy an AR. Remember the Y2K scare? At the time I didn't own a magazine fed, semi-auto centerfire rifle. I thought it would be a good idea to get one and went to a gun show with every intention of buying an AR. I was standing at the table with a rifle in hand and money in my pocket. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I bought a used Federal Ordnance M-14A and you see where that led. Best choice I ever made. :up: 

Besides, by the time I get to the gun show, pickins may be slim. From what I've seen on other gun boards, ARs are selling fast right now. It seems the 18 to 20 year olds are buying while they still can. Can't say as I blame them either. I'll keep mulling it over and see what happens when I get to the gun show. Or maybe I'll run across a good deal on a used one before then. Ya never know what might happen. :rolleyes:

Springfield Saint, and Ruger's Ar-15 are decent. I think you might be better impressed by Aero Precision's gear. aeroprecisionusa.com

54 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ehunt: you may have missed my other thread. I ended up buying a S&W M&P 15. I've had it to the range twice and so far, so good. But I still prefer my M1As. :rolleyes:

Yea, I did miss that. I had a S&W M&P 15 Sport II before I built the Aeros I have now. Well, I can recommend the Sharps BCGs. They will reduce the issues we've seen in Mil-Spec BCGs.

Edited by Ehunt
  • 1 month later...

I was fooling with ARs before ARs were cool. Back when I got my first one, there were hardly any accessories, and what was available either came from Colt or military surplus. Nowadays, the sky is the limit with what you can do with one. I've got one setup for long range shooting, a 16" for just playing around, and one with a "fun switch" that is sporting a 11.5" barrel. I've also got a stripped lower sitting in the safe I'm thinking about turning into a pistol.

If you are building one (the best way to get the most bang for your buck), just about all the lowers on the market are the same, besides the brand stamped on it. Spend your money on a upper and optics. 

I've heard all the horror stories from Vietnam, that was before my time, but I can tell you that I haven't seen any of those problems with the modern AR. 

If for no other reason, get one because it pisses the liberals off.

• Like 1

I highly doubt they're gonna ever be any cheaper than they are right now.  If nothing else, look at it as an investment and if you decide later on that the AR isn't the platform for you, I'm sure you'll be able to get your money back or turn a small profit.

• Like 1