Not able to buy ammo at Walmart past 9PM

I just ran down to the Jonesborough Walmart here in Johnson City to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo for my SIL's 30/30 so we could go shooting tomorrow morning.  I had to ask for someone to come back to sporting goods and when the person showed up it was the customer serv manager.  When I asked to get some ammo, I was told that it was against federal law for them to sell ammo past 9PM and that if he were to open that ammo case the ATF and JCPD would be all over the place.  

I have heard a lot of good ones in my time but this was by far one of the best.  I spent over 15 years with one of our local PDs and never once have I heard of this and can't recall ever hearing of anyone being dispatched out to a store because they sold ammo after 9PM.  I even told the guy this and that it might be a Walmart policy but it was in no way a federal law.  He just said he couldn't do it either way.  Funny thing was, I went over and picked up a box of 12 gauge and 22 ammo off of the shelve and bought them with no problems.

Walmart Supercenter

2915 W Market St

Johnson City, TN 37604

423-434-2250

Here is the email I just sent to Walmart corporate.

I just returned from a trip to my local Walmart located at 2915 W Walmart St, Johnson City, TN where I tried to purchase a box of ammunition around 9:45 PM EST.  I was informed by the customer service manager that was working that it was against federal law for him to sell ammo after 9 PM and that if he were to open the gun cabinet it would alert the ATF and Johnson City PD and that they would be "all over the place."  
I am a prior LEO of over 15 years and have never heard of any federal or TN state law prohibiting the sale of ammunition after 9 PM.  I even told the manager this and he stated that he still could not sell ammunition either way after 9 PM.  The strange thing is, I had with me at the time of this conversation with the manager, a box of shotgun shells that I got off of the shelf beside the register and paid for them up front with no problems and no alarms or anything went off.  
I spoke with a representative on the Walmart.com chat line and was told that to their knowledge there is no law or Walmart policy regarding the sale of ammunition after 9 PM.  If possible, I would like something official from Walmart corporate stating that there is no federal or TN state law prohibiting the sale of ammunition after 9 PM so that I can take this to my local Walmart store and show this to them.  If there is a official Walmart policy regarding the sale of ammunition after 9 PM please let me know and I will gladly find another local store to conduct my ammunition sales with.

We will see what they say if anything in reply to my email.  I will probably give them a call also when they are open next.

1 hour ago, tnvarmint said:

I just ran down to the Jonesborough Walmart here in Johnson City to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo for my SIL's 30/30 so we could go shooting tomorrow morning.  I had to ask for someone to come back to sporting goods and when the person showed up it was the customer serv manager.  When I asked to get some ammo, I was told that it was against federal law for them to sell ammo past 9PM and that if he were to open that ammo case the ATF and JCPD would be all over the place.  

I have heard a lot of good ones in my time but this was by far one of the best.  I spent over 15 years with one of our local PDs and never once have I heard of this and can't recall ever hearing of anyone being dispatched out to a store because they sold ammo after 9PM.  I even told the guy this and that it might be a Walmart policy but it was in no way a federal law.  He just said he couldn't do it either way.  Funny thing was, I went over and picked up a box of 12 gauge and 22 ammo off of the shelve and bought them with no problems.

Walmart Supercenter

2915 W Market St

Johnson City, TN 37604

423-434-2250

In other words his supervisor leaves at 9pm, and he doesn’t feel like exerting himself by opening the case and working the register.

• Like 1

There may be regional and in-store requirements. A month and a half ago, when I was still working at WM in Vegas, the only ammo limits we had were the Federal ones (18 for rifle, 21 for pistol) and the physics limits (our .22 at our locale was scarce, so we had it locked up with the guns in the gun case. The alarm for that activated  at 9pm.).

Think you nailed it...oughta nail him... where's my 2# sledge and my 60d bridge spikes????

There are plenty of threads like this on various gun forums. As we know it’s not the law; state (here) or Federal. And it doesn’t appear to even be a Walmart policy. It appears that Walmart lets their Store Managers make that policy if they like.

Before escaping NY, one Walmart would not sell me ammo that they deemed handgun ammo unless you showed them your concealed carry permit and my gun card showing I owned a handgun of the proper caliber. When I pushed back they said it was a state law. Was interesting law because I drove to a different Walmart and bought the ammo I wanted with nothing more than proof of age. My gray hair wasn't enough indication that I was over 21.

Just for those that don't know how messed up NY is, you can't own a handgun without a concealed carry permit and every handgun you buy stays with the seller till it is added to your handgun card that you must carry with you. I had just dropped off the paperwork at the county seat to add a 9mm and stopped on the way home so I would be ready when my new card showed up in the mail in a week or so and I pick up the gun.

Life is so nice in a free state.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 10:27 PM, Ronald_55 said:

Half the time Wal-Mart employees don't even know their policies, let alone law. 

One told me once that if you irritated him, he would refuse to sell you a gun. He said it like he had godlike power or something.

I would have got his name and called 1800walmart and had his job. It is his job to sell you a gun no matter what his beliefs are. Local stores act like they don’t care but if you get corporate involved they will do something. If you don’t get corporate involve it didn’t happen to them. 

On 3/2/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ronald_55 said:

Half the time Wal-Mart employees don't even know their policies, let alone law. 

One told me once that if you irritated him, he would refuse to sell you a gun. He said it like he had godlike power or something.

Had a Walmart supervisor threaten the same thing for interrupting his lunch break to walk me out. I was just waiting on him to walk me out and stood around for close to an hour. When he showed up we asked him why it took so long and he said he was going to refuse the sale because we were being "hostile" because we asked why it took so long. 

Had them refuse to sell me a rifle because they said my signature wasn't the correct way to sign. I showed them my DL, a civillian passport as well as a diplomatic passport with all the same signature. He still refused stating my signature must be "printed". 

Had them refuse to sell 223 as well as 22 ammunition because they said ARs were banned as well as the ammunition used in ARs. They pulled all the ARs off the shelf and said they had been outlawed overnight.

Walmart and I have had a lot of problems. Had a Tire Lube tech swing from an automatic rear hatch causing $1,000+ in damage. The manager had video from the day before the damage but said they had no cameras in the garage. When I called BS on that they said the camera malfunctioned and no video was available. I finally convinced the Walmart adjuster the mechanic did it when I showed him a video taken when we noticed the damage. The video showed obvious hand prints that were not from us because we always used the key fob. The repair facility said the mechanic had to have swung off the rear hatch door to bend the frame and strip the gears.

I've had them tell me I am not allowed to carry an item to register because I might steal it. I have had them call me an idiot when THEY could not find an item. Overheard the sporting goods manager recommend a good pellet rifle to kill a neighbors dog. He also said hollow points should be outlawed and that 1911's were designed to maim children. I caught him hiding 5.56 and 7.62x39 and when I asked him why he said it was because they were bullets for "assault weapons". 

My brother in law worked at Wal-mart while getting his welding certificate. He already had a mechanic certificate. So you know where the assigned him......Toys.....Normal Wal-mart logic. 

It is like some of these people have such little lives that they think because they are a "Department Lead" or something that gives them the right to harass other people. 

Btw @Dolomite_supafly, the fact that you have a diplomatic passport just pushed you even further up my respect meter. Heck I don't even have a valid civilian passport anymore.

9 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Had a Walmart supervisor threaten the same thing for interrupting his lunch break to walk me out. I was just waiting on him to walk me out and stood around for close to an hour. When he showed up we asked him why it took so long and he said he was going to refuse the sale because we were being "hostile" because we asked why it took so long. 

Had them refuse to sell me a rifle because they said my signature wasn't the correct way to sign. I showed them my DL, a civillian passport as well as a diplomatic passport with all the same signature. He still refused stating my signature must be "printed". 

Had them refuse to sell 223 as well as 22 ammunition because they said ARs were banned as well as the ammunition used in ARs. They pulled all the ARs off the shelf and said they had been outlawed overnight.

Walmart and I have had a lot of problems. Had a Tire Lube tech swing from an automatic rear hatch causing $1,000+ in damage. The manager had video from the day before the damage but said they had no cameras in the garage. When I called BS on that they said the camera malfunctioned and no video was available. I finally convinced the Walmart adjuster the mechanic did it when I showed him a video taken when we noticed the damage. The video showed obvious hand prints that were not from us because we always used the key fob. The repair facility said the mechanic had to have swung off the rear hatch door to bend the frame and strip the gears.

I've had them tell me I am not allowed to carry an item to register because I might steal it. I have had them call me an idiot when THEY could not find an item. Overheard the sporting goods manager recommend a good pellet rifle to kill a neighbors dog. He also said hollow points should be outlawed and that 1911's were designed to maim children. I caught him hiding 5.56 and 7.62x39 and when I asked him why he said it was because they were bullets for "assault weapons". 

It is the hat you were wearing a few months back. 

16 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I wasn’t a diplomat. I was issued a diplomatic passport to give me priority if I had to evacuate Afghanistan in a hurry. 

Oh, I figured. I don't think I see you riding around in a black limo. I would expect to see you in multicam in a humvee but that is just a guess.

• Moderators

The only real problem I see is that for some reason you keep going back.

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

I know, I am a glutton for punishment. 

9 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Oh, I figured. I don't think I see you riding around in a black limo. I would expect to see you in multicam in a humvee but that is just a guess.

I don’t think I’ve ever sat in a limo. We rolled around in up armored Mercedes, Toyotas and Suburbans. 

1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

I think Dolomite might be like me, I hate going  to Wal-Mart, but sometimes the cost savings wins out. 

Not about the savings, it is the closest store that is a one stop shop. 

4 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

I know, I am a glutton for punishment. 

9 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever sat in a limo. We rolled around in up armored Mercedes, Toyotas and Suburbans. 

1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

I think Dolomite might be like me, I hate going  to Wal-Mart, but sometimes the cost savings wins out. 

Not about the savings, it is the closest store that is a one stop shop. 

Just re-read this entire thread again. I came to this conclusion. 

Walmart is good for 3 things...

1 Watching strange people and having a source for the pics People of Walmart.

2 It is convenient to most of us. 

3 It's the perfect place for your first public carry after getting your permit.

Hence the name Wally-Walk.