Courage is a choice

• Moderators

I’ve paid attention to this blog for several years now. This post starts with the Parkland shooting but touches on several interlocking topics and is one of the better things I’ve read in a while. Here’s a small excerpt. 

To whit: courage is a choice. It has been said that courage is like the fuel tank on a vehicle, and eventually, if you use enough of it, you simply run out. I don’t know how perfectly accurate that is, but it is a good enough analogy for the moment. Here is the thing about that analogy though, and the point of this: like a fuel tank, you can refill the reservoir before it runs out—or even before it runs low. Running “out” of courage—especially in an occupation or role that demands physical and moral courage—is no different than running out of gas…it is a choice, and rather simply remedied, by topping off the tank regularly. If you read this blog regularly, I will take the liberty of assuming that you have chosen to identify yourself as someone who intends—when the time arises—stand to protect your innangarð, however you define it. This article is intended then, to discuss HOW we might make ourselves more ready to do so, without becoming niðings, when the moment comes.

I have previously written at least one article with Aristotle’s famed quote, “We become what we do,” as the title, and it is a line I have mentioned numerous times over the years in my writing. It is a core part of my personal philosophy on life, and has been since my grandfather said it to me decades ago, before I even knew who said it first (seriously, until I was in my thirties, I thought my grandfather had made it up.).

So, what does that have to do with the choice of courage? We are not born intrinsically courageous. If anything, our evolutionary biology programs us to be rather craven, into at least adolescence, as a survival mechanism. Due to our inherent physiological shortcomings as “hairless apes,” who lack fangs or claws, until we are old enough to manufacture and wield tools, natural selection has made it the role of the adults of our tribe/clan/pack/community, to protect us from harm.

For most of humanity’s existence, the majority of humans have understood that those “bumps in the night” are not just random noises. SOMETHING made those noises, and sometimes those things had claws, fangs, and a taste for the succulence of human flesh. It was understood that the role of any man who considered himself such, was to go out and hunt down and slaughter those things that might harm the young of his tribe or clan or community. It was the duty of every woman, no matter how domesticated she might be; no matter how happy she might be keeping the hearth clean and welcoming, to stand ready to pick up her husband’s extra shield and spear, and stand in the door of their hovel, hut, or fortress, and slaughter those beasts that came looking for the flesh of her offspring, when her husband was absent.

I doubt few Americans, even today, do not have—buried somewhere in their brain—an image of a brave pioneer woman, muzzleloading rifle in hand, standing in the door of a small frontier cabin, ready to shoot down any marauding intruder, bear, wildcat, wolf, or man.

The problem in America, as with every other great civilization in history, is that we—like our forebears—abrogated that responsibility to a selected corps of “protectors,” in favor of doing less dangerous, “more rewarding” tasks like banking and arguing before a courtroom, fixing someone’s plumbing, or working on their computer problems. Even my farmer neighbors, those stalwart representatives of our yeoman agrarian past, when a predator stalks their livestock, are as likely to call in the game warden as they are to simply shoot, shovel, and shut up.

This then, is the most important lesson given the American people by the niðings of Broward County—and perhaps the only thing of worth they’ve done in their lives, if I had to guess—and it is one that many of us have been telling people for a very long time: no one is coming to save you. You are responsible for your safety, your family’s safety, and the safety of your community (and if you think any of those stand alone, then you are a fool).

How then, do we ensure that, when the bell tolls for us, we make the “right” choice, and choose courage over cowardice? We begin by ensuring we have filled the fuel tank, and then we top it off at regular intervals, rather than letting the needle ride the “E.” We choose courage—moral and physical—in our every activity, every day.

https://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.com/2018/02/28/courage-is-a-choice/

• Like 2

I do believe courage is a choice, but disagree with the premise that it runs down like a tank of gas.  I believe that many are just born courageous, and live their life that way.  That is not to say that many don't have that one, or two, courageous acts in them, it's that there are those that run to the fire and ones that either stay put or run the other way.  I would like to think that everyone can act courageous in certain circumstances, but experiences have taught me otherwise, there are those that would run at the slightest sign of danger, leaving it to someone else to deal with it.

• Moderators

While an imperfect analogy, I like the gas tank premise. In this context it serves as a reminder that the choice is made on a daily basis. The decisions we make on how we live life on the daily will have great effect on how we react if we find ourselves in the worst scenarios. Nobody can really tell for certain how they will react when put under the crucible, but I do believe that one can increase the likelihood of one path or another. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

I appreciate you posting that portion of the blog post. I subscribe to Western Rifle and to Mountainguerrilla. Mosby's posts always make me think and I tend to agree more than I disagree with him.

I didn't find this post, nor his previous work, particularly anti-LEO.  His perspective, as all of ours, stem from life experiences.

I too think courage is largely a matter of choice and hopefully we will temper ourselves toward that goal. 

• Like 3

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne.  While I know is it a quote from an actor/movie it has always made sense to me. Growing up in a military family, surrounded by Troopers that have been in the line of fire and listening to my Dad recall (when he would) times of sheer terror....I am convinced that courage/fortitude/gallantry/heroism is both a mind set and a choice. One must choose to rush into automatic weapons fire to pull a buddy to safety knowing what a bullet could do to your own body. One must choose to go into a building when other lives are at stake. Yes many choose to run but others choose not to. Military, EMS, Fire and Police have chosen those professions for various reasons and suffer the benefits of those choices. The lowering of standards has contributed to the inclusion of those best suited to drive a desk or other support roles, supplanting the ones naturally gifted/trained/driven to do the job that needs done. Quotas, political correctness, and liberalism have diluted the idea of courage and bravery in segments of our society. I miss my country.......

Rough men stand ready.....

Edited by ArmyBrat61
  • Like 7

I've always subscribed to the Marine Corp's definition of courage: Courage is not the absence of fear, it's not allowing that fear to control you so that you can do what is needed to be done. I've been lucky to have met quite a few courageous people in my lifetime, and not one of them said that they weren't afraid. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ArmyBrat61 said:

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne.  While I know is it a quote from an actor/movie it has always made sense to me. Growing up in a military family, surrounded by Troopers that have been in the line of fire and listening to my Dad recall (when he would) times of sheer terror....I am convinced that courage/fortitude/gallantry/heroism is both a mind set and a choice. One must choose to rush into automatic weapons fire to pull a buddy to safety knowing what a bullet could do to your own body. One must choose to go into a building when other lives are at stake. Yes many choose to run but others choose not to. Military, EMS, Fire and Police have chosen those professions for various reasons and suffer the benefits of those choices. The lowering of standards has contributed to the inclusion of those best suited to drive a desk or other support roles, supplanting the ones naturally gifted/trained/driven to do the job that needs done. Quotas, political correctness, and liberalism have diluted the idea of courage and bravery in segments of our society. I miss my country.......

Rough men stand ready.....

I agree completely. You have a choice to move toward danger, or turn & run a way. I like the John Wayne quote, movie or not. It works.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I see no mention of law enforcement or the blog singling out law enforcement. 

That is an inference your mind made. 

How could you miss it? 

I am not going to waste a lot of time, effort, or bandwidth discussing the niðing behavior of the deputies. They are all cowards, and department policy be damned. You do not take the gifts—pay and benefits—of your community, in return for the expected duty of protecting them and—especially—their children, and then, at the moment the bell tolls for you, decide department policy and officer safety trumps those obligations. Doing so makes you an oathbreaker and a coward, by any reasonable definition.

I am not particularly a fan of “the police,” but neither am I a “cop hater.” I count a number of sworn officers amongst my friends, and at least two within my innangarð, making them oathsworn brothers, rather than simply friends. I understand the importance of “officer safety,” and I don’t begrudge a peace officer ensuring his safety, within reason. However, like myself, and every other man I know who puts a gun on their belt in the morning, and steps out, ostensibly ready to provide protection for those around him—especially if you are receiving compensation for said service—deciding that “officer safety” trumps doing your duty is the definition of cowardice.

44 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

How could you miss it? 

I don't see ANY of that in THIS thread. It is on another website but not in this thread. I have no control over, and will not police, what is posted on other websites. 

It is a LONG article and most of it, the bad stuff, was not quoted but what is quoted mentions nothing about cops. 

The link is there for reference. 

• Authorized Vendor

I've been faced with terrible situations several times in my life. I think courage gets confused at times with acting crazy. The reason I say that is after acting in those situations I've had more than one person call me crazy and who knows...maybe they were right. After some reflection I might tend to agree with them. One thing for certain....I'm not standing by and doing nothing.

When faced with tough situations the first thing that goes through my head is something my father told me over 50 years ago. "Do something...even if it's wrong".

Is this the wisest thing to do? Perhaps not. But in my fathers defense I sometimes thought he was a little crazy as well.

• Like 3
On 3/6/2018 at 9:24 AM, SWJewellTN said:

I've always subscribed to the Marine Corp's definition of courage: Courage is not the absence of fear, it's not allowing that fear to control you so that you can do what is needed to be done. I've been lucky to have met quite a few courageous people in my lifetime, and not one of them said that they weren't afraid. 

I've met such myself, and their whole key to the matter is as you stated... telling fear  to take a seat till the job is done, doing it, and having the shakes later. PTSD with the fancy label scraped off.

There's displacement, too... part and parcel of the bloodinesses of black powder wars, and the Civil War in large part. Many of both sides were raised up in their units with friends and neighbors in ranks, and the fear of looking a coward before them overcame the fear of getting shot at by unfriendlies.

Add to that, the senior NCO that the ranks looked to... the LAST thing they wanted to do was to disappoint him.

There are those gentle, undextrous, water-crystalled souls that see all these grim things in here and are likely to desperately gasp out breathlessly, "B-b-but that's all about WAR!"

It is, in that is the most dramatic example of it. There are many other examples of courage.

SWC