20-year-old sues Dick's, Walmart over new gun policies

• Authorized Vendor

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/20-year-old-sues-dicks-walmart-over-new-gun-policies

An Oregon man filed suits Monday claiming Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart discriminated against the 20-year-old when they refused to sell him a rifle.

Dick's and Walmart restricted gun sales to adults 21 and older in the wake of the Florida high school massacre. The 19-year-old accused in the school slaying bought the AR-15 used in the attack legally.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

Tyler Watson's lawsuits filed against the retailers in two separate counties claim he faced age discrimination from Dick's and Walmart, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported . The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed over the new gun policies enacted on Feb. 28th.

Read more.

This will happen at the state level, not federal.  I believe that the federal age discrimination laws don't kick in until age 40.  Most states laws are the same as federal.  There are only a couple of states where the age discrimination laws start at 18.  So they are going to have to allow the sales to 18-20yo in those few states or, like Hozzie said, stop selling guns and ammo all together.  

Edited by KahrMan
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Would we have more support for Walmart and Dick’s to choose the manner in which they engage in commerce with someone else if they made wedding cakes? 

Ouch, solid thinking point.

I see that nobody has responded to this directly, I take it that they are all afraid.:bowrofl:

Here are my thoughts. Honestly, the cake baker probably should have baked the couple a cake, but I fully respect their right not to. They should have baked a cake and then allowed the couple to top the cake however they wished. In my further opinion, they should have simply stated that they would bake and sell them a cake but that their personal beliefs did not allow them to decorate the cake as the couple desired, and then the couple should have went somewhere else. However, we all know that the couple wanted to make a big deal out of it, so that's how it went down.

After thinking about it, the Walmart and Dick's story isn't much different overall. Businesses (Walmart and Dick's, etc) are attempting to restrict sales of firearms to people 18-20 years of age because of their "morals". Now, anyone could claim that these morals are unfounded and dumb, and I would happen to agree with you, but if an entity believes that it is doing a good thing by reserving firearms to those 21 and over, then that is their belief just as the cake shop believes that certain marital combinations are wrong.

I think on one hand you could have an argument regarding age discrimination, but I believe that in the same paragraph as age discrimination is the subject of discriminating upon sexuality.

Two entities, both private (Walmart/Dicks and then the cake shop) taking it upon themselves to restrict who their customers are. Two entities, whom I believe should have the right to do so, making a decision about who they choose to do business with. Someone could claim the 2nd Amendment all day, but doesn't that refer to infringement by government? If Walmart and Dicks simply stated "We aren't going to sell guns anymore, period", then I don't think there would be near as much stink as them proclaiming "We aren't going to sell certain guns anymore and will only sell to certain people now".

At one time, when I was approximately 18 or 19, I had a local gun shop refuse to sell me .22lr ammo "because it could fit in a handgun". I even told him that it was not for a handgun but for a rifle, but he refused the sale so I went elsewhere. I desired to purchase something crazy like 30-06 or somewhat similar and then after the transaction boast I was going to go shoot it in my pistol that night, I did not. I suspect that this mindset, coupled with possible other factors, could be why they are no longer in business.

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that FFL's have the right to refuse any firearm transaction they desire. I would think this would extend to ammunition as well.

Honestly, people just need to remember that Walmart, Dick's, etc are not and have not really ever truly been our friends, but rather just making a small amount of profit off of a few types of firearms and accessories when convenient politically. Throw your money to other, stronger companies that support the 2nd Amendment.

This makes me think back to when I was 17 and Walmart refused to sell me a knife sharpener. Not the knife, bear you, but just a sharpener to make a pre-owned knife sharp. I showed the knife I was carrying in my pocket and simply stated it needed sharpening, they still refused. Dumb. Something else that cracks me up are the people at gun/knife shows that tell minors you have to be 18 or older to even touch any of their knives. I suppose it all comes down to liability, but we sure have "progressed" a lot from even a few decades ago.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Would we have more support for Walmart and Dick’s to choose the manner in which they engage in commerce with someone else if they made wedding cakes? 

Our support or lack thereof is moot at this point.  The precedents have been set.  If the government can tell a small, mom and pop bakery that they HAVE to bake a cake for a couple even when they don't want to do so then that same government should absolutely tell a huge retail chain that they HAVE to sell firearms to an adult who can legally purchase them.  Otherwise the application and interpretation of the law, itself, is being used in a discriminatory manner and the legitimacy of the courts to fairly and justly interpret and apply the law - what little legitimacy they have left - is null and void, IMO.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, KahrMan said:

This will happen at the state level, for federal.  I believe that the federal age discrimination laws don't kick in until age 40.  Most states laws are the same as federal.  There are only a couple of states where the age discrimination laws start at 18.  So they are going to have to allow the sales to 18-20yo in those few states or, like Hozzie said, stop selling guns and ammo all together.  

You are citing the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, and this is not an employment case.

3 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

I was curious when 12ish million 18-21 year olds would realize their rights were stripped with no due process.

The irony is that there's no age restriction mentioned in the 2A. Many young boys died in militias and military during the early years.

Just now, SWJewellTN said:

You are citing the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, and this is not an employment case.

Thanks. I was mainly saying that the charges would have to be on a state level, not federal.  

I also have to wonder - to turn Chucktshoes' comment around a bit - if we wouldn't be hearing a huge outcry from the left if Dick's and Walmart had refused to sell a firearm to the young man because he came in wearing a dress and wanted to put 'Ms.' on the paperwork rather than because he is an adult of legal age to purchase a firearm and to whom Wally and Dick's simply don't want to sell a firearm.

6 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

The irony is that there's no age restriction mentioned in the 2A. Many young boys died in militias and military during the early years.

Not to mention - unless I am mistaken and Selective Service requirements were repealed without my knowledge - all young men 18 and older are required to sign up for Selective Service.  This means that, however unlikely it might be at this point in time, these same young men could be drafted, handed a gun and told to go kill people or die trying.

These people will be charged as adults if they commit a crime, can be charged with statutory rape for having consensual sex with their boyfriend or girlfriend who happens to be a year or two younger, are considered to be responsible enough to vote and to enter into contractual agreements but not old/responsible enough to buy a Budweiser, not old enough to purchase tobacco in some places and, now, not old enough to purchase a firearm (not just by retail chains - some states are working on laws to that end.)  Either they are adults or they aren't.  It is sickening that they would be considered 'adults' when it benefits the government or society but 'immature' and 'not really old enough' when it comes to having all of the benefits of being an adult.  I am 46 and don't have any kids so it doesn't impact me directly but, as a person who believes in individual liberty, it still ticks me off.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

After thinking about it, the Walmart and Dick's story isn't much different overall. Businesses (Walmart and Dick's, etc) are attempting to restrict sales of firearms to people 18-20 years of age because of their "morals".

Don't ever think Wal-Mart's policy-making executives are acting from any moral high ground. What little bit that company had died with Sam. Wally and Dick's are doing this to try to not get sued when the next shooter comes along.

I thought you also said that state law mostly follows federal law too?

While I was quoting the wrong law, the gist of what I was saying is still true. Most states do not have age discrimination laws that will protect 18-20 year olds. Only a few states have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Moderators

I think he is on the wrong side of the agenda regardless of any age discrimination laws in place. I've watched laws get so twisted for agendas I have little faith in very few anymore. It always comes back to following the money in most situations.

As to Walmart, a multibillion $ company such as that will have lots of lawyers. The only chance they will have to win a suit  is as class-action. And within a fiscal quarter, WM will drop firearms if not ammunition.

Virtue-signaling cowards.

Edited by SWCUMBERLAND
38 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

As to Walmart, a multibillion $ company such as that will have lots of lawyers. The only chance they will have to win a suit  is as class-action. And within a fiscal quarter, WM will drop firearms if not ammunition.

Virtue-signaling cowards.

Not so quick...depends on who he gets to back his suit. And wal-wart could go out of business this minute and it would not bother me for a second. Any decency they had died with Sam. As usual it is all downhill for them since the kids took over. I have vowed to not ever step foot in one again! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chief07 said:

Dicks and Walmart need to grow a pair and stop cowering to the snowflakes on the left.

I'll take my business else where.

Mahoneys, Cabelas, Bass Pro, and small gun shops. 

"I'll take my business else where". What took you so long to decide to do that???