Teachers and guns

2 hours ago, MRSpivey said:

Personally, if a teacher (anywhere) can pass a psyc. exam and have a CC permit I would love it if they carried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a psych/physical eval isn't required for a HCP/CC/CCDW, why would we require it for teachers?

I have a school age child. A school age child that is markedly more qualified to handle a firearm than many 'adults.' Sending my child to school is a fearful time in the day for me. She is away from me, her mother, and our dogs. She is at the mercy of someone else. I am not a social person outside of the internet. I have no family, I don't have friends. I have my wife, my daughter and our dogs. I live in Small Town USA. I trust that the school and it's designated will care for her. That is a lot to ask of a father of a daughter. I ask them to educate her. I ask them to keep her safe. I ask them to do what I would do when I am not there. I am 100 miles away providing a living for her, her mother and our dogs. Oh, and the cat. But he is a cat.

I would like armed teachers. Trained, armed teachers. Trained, armed teachers that are willing to do what I would do if I were available if the situation turned to the worst imaginable. I am not asking for the teachers to be trained because I think it is a requirement to have a gun, I am asking the teachers be trained so that they would know how to react in a situation that would require them to be armed. I think this should be a choice, not a requirement. I also think that it should be known that a school has teachers, unnamed teachers, armed and trained to deal with an active shooter situation.

I would also feel pity on those that would be so scared of an inanimate object that they would refuse to allow their child to attend a school that had known, trained, armed staff prepared to protect their charges.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 3

Most people who go into the teaching profession just aren't the type to carry. They trend to being optimistic and hope they can make a difference in a child's life. Teachers as a group, and students should be better protected than they are now.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, dawgdoc said:

I prefer to think of it not as arming teachers, but rather we should stop disarming teachers who otherwise carry in their daily lives.

That's my take on it as well. I spent 6 years volunteering at my sons elementary school. I spent many, many hours a week at the teachers beck and call. And got to know quite a few of them. I was surprised to learn how many teachers and front office people were gun people. All with their permits and reports to work unarmed.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Most people who go into the teaching profession just aren't the type to carry. They trend to being optimistic and hope they can make a difference in a child's life. Teachers as a group, and students should be better protected than they are now.

That may be true, but that protective instinct can be quite a motivator. Undoubtedly schools need more protection, and one of the quickest is to get rid of the no gun zones and put that "unknown element " into the target selection process.

• Like 4

My wife is a teacher and while she doesn't have her permit yet,(only because she can't carry at work where she is at most of the day) but she is more than willing to get it and take whatever training necessary paid for or not to protect the children in her school. I'm pretty sure some of her coworkers feel the same.

Now for the record she is going to get her permit she just hasn't yet, she's been waiting on my daughter to have the time to go on a "girls day" so they can do it together.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Omega said:

That may be true, but that protective instinct can be quite a motivator. Undoubtedly schools need more protection, and one of the quickest is to get rid of the no gun zones and put that "unknown element " into the target selection process.

I have been saying that for years and for years it has fallen on deaf ears!! No Gun Zones are nothing more than Killing fields. Just look at every mass killing that has taken place in last 15 years to see that. I am not sure how competent the Blaze News reporting is but here is a couple to check out.

https://americanconcealed.com/articles/mental-preparedness/do-the-most-shootings-occur-in-gun-free-zones/

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/01/09/over-98-of-mass-shootings-occurred-on-gun-free-zones-research-shows

They should have to take and pass the same testing as security guards at least. They would be protecting valuable human children!

That would be nice however, my thought is better an armed teacher with a CCP than one without any gun when a shooter busts into the classroom.

There is a lot of local outrage from teachers on this topic.  It boils down to them being anti gun, but I've heard several threaten to quit their jobs of teachers are allowed to be armed.  Fine with me, the school system was looking for teachers when those were found.  Frankly, I don't care for their attitudes regarding the situation.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MRSpivey said:

That would be nice however, my thought is better an armed teacher with a CCP than one without any gun when a shooter busts into the classroom.

Yes and no.  Ever watched the other people at a Carry Class.  I wouldn't let most of them carry around my dog (to be fair I value my dog like people value their kids).  Half of them have never even shot a gun.  I am all for teachers carrying guns, but they have to have more training (or at least demonstrate more proficiency) than just getting their carry license.  We will have some teacher accidentally shooting the wrong kid.

Edited by Hozzie
9 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

They should have to take and pass the same testing as security guards at least. They would be protecting valuable human children!

I can get behind that, and I bet those that truly want to, will.

2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Yes and no.  Ever watched the other people at a Carry Class.  I wouldn't let most of them carry around my dog (to be fair I value my dog like people value their kids).  Half of them have never even shot a gun.  I am all for teachers carrying guns, but they have to have more training than just getting their carry license.  We will have some teacher accidentally shooting the wrong kid.

Sure, there are those that carry that I would not want to be handling weapons around me or mine, but at the same time I would not want my kids to be totally defenseless either.  If they just did away with no gun zones, BG would have to think twice about their chosen target.  To me it's like placing a big "Rob me" sign in front of your home when you go on vacation, just inviting trouble. 

1 minute ago, Omega said:

I can get behind that, and I bet those that truly want to, will.

Sure, there are those that carry that I would not want to be handling weapons around me or mine, but at the same time I would not want my kids to be totally defenseless either.  If they just did away with no gun zones, BG would have to think twice about their chosen target.  To me it's like placing a big "Rob me" sign in front of your home when you go on vacation, just inviting trouble. 

I think this argument is over-estimated.  I don't think a single one of these kids probably thought that much about someone having a gun to be able to shoot back.  I won't say it won't deter some, but I think half of these kids don't care if they live or die anyway.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

There is a lot of local outrage from teachers on this topic.  It boils down to them being anti gun, but I've heard several threaten to quit their jobs of teachers are allowed to be armed.  Fine with me, the school system was looking for teachers when those were found.  Frankly, I don't care for their attitudes regarding the situation.

IMO that just shows you how stupid some teachers can be. Not only students but there has been a lot of teachers and faculty also killed that might still be alive had there been armed people in the school. Guns in schools won't just be protecting Children, they will be protecting everyone except the active shooter and we can all hope he/she/they are being shot by several different armed School staff at the same time!!!

I think this argument is over-estimated.  I don't think a single one of these kids probably thought that much about someone having a gun to be able to shoot back.  I won't say it won't deter some, but I think half of these kids don't care if they live or die anyway.

The shooters are obviously not thinking as what the majority of us would consider rational.

2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

It's not what the kid doing the shooting is thinking but more how quick a good person with a gun can stop the bad guy with the gun!!!   It would be great if there would be none killed or injured but if it can be cut down to 1 or 2 before the shooter is taken down that is better the 17 or Like Columbine and 59 and Sandy Hook with 26...............JMHO

1 minute ago, bersaguy said:

It's not what the kid doing the shooting is thinking but more how quick a good person with a gun can stop the bad guy with the gun!!!   It would be great if there would be none killed or injured but if it can be cut down to 1 or 2 before the shooter is taken down that is better the 17 or Like Columbine and 59 and Sandy Hook with 26...............JMHO

He was implying that if it is known more people are carrying at the school, it will reduce these shootings.  I was simply stating that I don't necessarily agree due to fact that I don't think the people doing this care.  We certainly agree that someone engaging the shooter quicker is a good thing.

How exactly would armed teachers work?  Open carry the whole day?  Concealed?  Locked in a desk drawer?

What is to keep those perfect litle angels in many high and middle school systems who could easily overpower the teacher from snapping and doing so?

Edited by Garufa

One size doesn’t fit all. I assume state law will dictate what is going to happen. I suspect in the schools where teachers are allowed to carry, the parents will not stand still for the teachers that volunteer not having the same training as local Police. But I don’t see this really being an issue. I would bet that most schools will find out they can afford to have full time Police Officers.

• Like 1