Teachers and guns

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

How exactly would armed teachers work?  Open carry the whole day?  Concealed?  Locked in a desk drawer?

What is to keep those perfect litle angels in many high and middle school systems who could easily overpower the teacher from snapping and doing so?

Seems fairly straightforward to me. Keep it concealed, don't talk about it. I'd argue that it must be under their care at all times. Never in a desk.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-its-like-for-one-teacher-who-already-carries-a-gun/

CBS did a pretty good job covering this. The irony is that in the video he says "no one knows I carry". Well, the entire world does now...

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Well weather the shooter cares if they live or die is moot if they are stopped cold!

This is a pipe dream just like most who dream of being the hero who takes down a bad guy to save the world with their S&W shield on their hip.  I don't want this to be construed as me against teachers carrying guns, I am all for it.  But anyone with any sense realizes that is not going to be a zero sum game.  I agree it can and may help with someone engaging a shooter sooner, but it certainly doesn't mean that this issue is now resolved.  The guns we carry as citizens are primarily for self defense.  In these situations it suddenly becomes an offensive scenario and that is very different.  Mama June who went and got her HCP with no real training is not much more than a distraction, albeit an important one I admit.  Luckily, most of these shooters have had very little training themselves.  

The fact is, in a country such as ours there will always be risk with our freedom.  I imagine all of us here are willing to accept that risk.  

My whole point is simply lets not overblow the impact a few teachers carrying may have.  Can it help, sure.  Will it prevent more shootings, only time will tell.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

One size doesn’t fit all. I assume state law will dictate what is going to happen. I suspect in the schools where teachers are allowed to carry, the parents will not stand still for the teachers that volunteer not having the same training as local Police. But I don’t see this really being an issue. I would bet that most schools will find out they can afford to have full time Police Officers.

I've not seen any schools even talking about having full time police officers yet. I know some have ask about getting some but not mentioned paying them.

6 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I've not seen any schools even talking about having full time police officers yet. I know some have ask about getting some but not mentioned paying them.

Do high schools in Tennessee not have full time regular Police Officers at the school?

9 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

This is a pipe dream just like most who dream of being the hero who takes down a bad guy to save the world with their S&W shield on their hip.  I don't want this to be construed as me against teachers carrying guns, I am all for it.  But anyone with any sense realizes that is not going to be a zero sum game.  I agree it can and may help with someone engaging a shooter sooner, but it certainly doesn't mean that this issue is now resolved.  The guns we carry as citizens are primarily for self defense.  In these situations it suddenly becomes an offensive scenario and that is very different.  Mama June who went and got her HCP with no real training is not much more than a distraction, albeit an important one I admit.  Luckily, most of these shooters have had very little training themselves.  

The fact is, in a country such as ours there will always be risk with our freedom.  I imagine all of us here are willing to accept that risk.  

My whole point is simply lets not overblow the impact a few teachers carrying may have.  Can it help, sure.  Will it prevent more shootings, only time will tell.

You have a great point for sure. There will always be some injuries and maybe even loss of life. That is for sure. How much will depend on how fast who ever is going towards the shooter to confront them with a good guy with a gun or maybe 2 or 3 good guys with guns. The quicker the response the less the carnage..........JMHO

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

It's not what the kid doing the shooting is thinking but more how quick a good person with a gun can stop the bad guy with the gun!!!   It would be great if there would be none killed or injured but if it can be cut down to 1 or 2 before the shooter is taken down that is better the 17 or Like Columbine and 59 and Sandy Hook with 26...............JMHO

Not sure where you got the Columbine number but there was only 12 killed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Do high schools in Tennessee not have full time regular Police Officers at the school?

I think certain ones do. I know MeGavock in Donelson does and I know Antioch High does but both of them deal with gang issues so they have 1 or 2 officers but I don't know about any others.

3 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Not sure where you got the Columbine number but there was only 12 killed.

Just now, bersaguy said:

I think certain ones do. I know MeGavock in Donelson does and I know Antioch High does but both of them deal with gang issues so they have 1 or 2 officers but I don't know about any others. Williamson county has 60 police officers in their schools every day.

38 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Many do, but there are several who do not have fulltime SRO's.  It runs from larger metro schools with multiple officers to small, rural schools with none, and every iteration in between.  In some systems, officers are shared across several campuses, others employ fulltime officers at the high school but either have no SRO's assigned to the lower grades or share an officer between two or more schools.  The variations are as diverse as the schools themselves ...

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

How exactly would armed teachers work?  Open carry the whole day?  Concealed?  Locked in a desk drawer?

What is to keep those perfect litle angels in many high and middle school systems who could easily overpower the teacher from snapping and doing so?

What stops them now? They need to discipline them from the get go and teach them that actions have consequences. 

As to the carry question, it will have to be on person or in one of those quick open bio safes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

One size doesn’t fit all. I assume state law will dictate what is going to happen. I suspect in the schools where teachers are allowed to carry, the parents will not stand still for the teachers that volunteer not having the same training as local Police. But I don’t see this really being an issue. I would bet that most schools will find out they can afford to have full time Police Officers.

I don't know about that, at least not in metro currently, with them losing  7.5mil in their budget and all.

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

This is the most coherent evaluation of the issue I've seen anywhere..

Well said brother.

I am biased and coming from a place where I grew up with shooting guns, had training as a police officer, and I’m not afraid to die to save the lives of others. Our society and schools have changed over time. Guns have always been plentiful. There weren’t shootings in schools 50 years ago. The schools weren’t gun free zones. So the cause of the problem isn’t the schools being a gun free zone. Back when I was in elementary school I heard tale of a teacher in a really rough school, I think it was a place like Detroit or New York, pulling a gun out and shooting a picture of President Washington in the head. The problem, as I perceive it, is multi-faceted. Children are no longer disciplined the way they use to be and if there is physical discipline the adult tends to face abuse investigation or charges. Children, in general, do not respect adults and authority as they use to. These children grow up to be adults exhibiting the same lack of respect and thoughts of entitlement. There is insufficient places for the severely mentally ill to be controlled while getting treatment. The list goes further but I have rambled on enough. By the way, I bet many of you would be surprised by the number of people Concealed Carrying in church. Our society has a serious problem that isn’t fixed by Concealed Carry, but it helps to treat the symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk