School me on AR-15s UPDATE: I got one!

I'm still considering buying an AR-15, but have come to the realization that I know very little about them. :confused:

I know I want a 16" barrel, I pretty sure I'll just stick with the 5.56.  I know I'll probably put some kind of optic on it. I have an EOtech 512 that I could move from another rifle, but I'm also considering going with some type of low power scope for magnification. One question is that I've noticed that many of the flat top models also have the tall A2 type front sight. Does this get in the way when using optics by interfering with the field of view? The flip up front and rear sights look like a good idea, but they also look like they're sticking up there in the open just begging to be damaged. I do want good back up iron sights just in case. Opinions on those? Piston driven or not? Any real advantage to it?

I've spent the last 40+ years avoiding ARs and wasn't the least bit interested in learning anything about them. Now that I'm interested, I find myself woefully uneducated. So fill me in. What should I be looking for? What works and what doesn't? 

If I buy one, and that still "IF", I want to set it up for close to medium range use out to maybe 150 yards. I have other rifles for long range use. What should I be looking for?

Edited by Grayfox54

That's the thing with AR's, they are very personal as far as what one like's and dislikes.  I will say, I don't personally like the look of the A2 front site and I think it does get in the way.

Honestly, they will all work and do what you want within that range with 223/556.  My recommendation.  Find the one you like the looks of and get it.  Put a decent 1-6x scope on it and some backup sites and have fun.  The only thing I think most off the shelf AR's need is a better trigger and there are lots of way to fix that issue.

The best part about them is if you decide you don't like something on them or simply want to try something new, it is super simple to change things.  I just put these Hera parts (buttstock and forehandle) on my 9mm SBR for something different.  I haven't decided if I completely like the look or not, but it sure is comfortable.  If I decide I don't like it, 10 min's and they are back off.

i-D4sgFgZ-XL.jpg

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I run an Eotech 512 on my Colt SOCOM that has the A2 sight and have no problem with interference. Good thing is once sighted in, actually falls right in line with sight and can work well for distance. My recommendation on first AR is go with DI (direct impingement) for your first one, go quality but don’t spend a ton and learn all you can about them. There will be more. Once you start you can’t stop!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically, this will be set up for CQB. Probably not more than 100-150 yards max. If I buy one, I only intend to buy one. I'm not looking to start a collection here. And it will be quite an expense for me. So I want to get it right the first time. 

Rumor has it that there's a rush on sales right now as the 18-20 year olds are grabbing ARs while they still can and that prices are going up. I haven't been to any gun stores lately. Any truth to these rumors? Should I grab one now or wait until the panic subsides? 

I bought my first AR in 1986 or 1987; can't recall for sure now.  They cost more then than they do now.  It is highly likely that ARs will never be any cheaper than they are today.  It's an unprecedented buyer's market.  Look at prices from Palmetto State Armory; they run remarkable specials all the time.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Basically, this will be set up for CQB. Probably not more than 100-150 yards max. If I buy one, I only intend to buy one. I'm not looking to start a collection here. And it will be quite an expense for me. So I want to get it right the first time. 

Rumor has it that there's a rush on sales right now as the 18-20 year olds are grabbing ARs while they still can and that prices are going up. I haven't been to any gun stores lately. Any truth to these rumors? Should I grab one now or wait until the panic subsides? 

Not so sure all prices are rising, but stock seems scarce some places. Especially the cheapest ones. 

I just got my first AR 5.56 pistol together right before this started. I have shot several ARs and found little difference. That being said, I rarely upgrade triggers or such. The stock gun usually exceeds my abilities. 

My suggestion would be to get a good middle of the road unit. If you need to swap parts out for better ones later, you can. Buy a $2000 AR and you can't exactly trade parts to a lower level to get a significant part of that cost back.

It's kind of like car shopping.  Go handle as many as you can and see what you like/don't like about different aspects such as types of buttstocks, forarms, sites, etc.  Take note of what you like and don't like and then go do some searching for one that has the things you like.  I am all for buying from your local shop when it makes sense, but don't pay a lot more than what you can buy online for. 

I think things are probably a bit on the panic side, but I don't think it is affecting too much too bad just yet.  One day can change a lot though.  I don't know the Memphis area as far as where best to go look, but I am guessing @Chucktshoes and some others can give you some suggestions.

I do not like 7 twist guns unless they are going to be shooting HEAVY bullets. 8 or 9 twist is my preferred twist. An 8 twist will shoot any weight bullet that will feed from a magazine.

I would get a lightweight barrel as well. They shoot as well as standard or heavy weight barrels as long as they are decent barrels. 

16"-18" is the barrel length I would use. You can buy 18" barrels that are lighter than most 1 6" barrels. That 2" extends the range as well as gives you the option of a longer gas system.

If you decide on a 16" barrel go with a mid length gas system. With 18" barrel use a rifle length gas system. Use a CLAMP on adjustable gas block to tune the gun. No need to go longer or shorter. Those has system lengths minimize wear, felt recoil as well as gas in the face. 

If recoil and quick follow up shots are important use a muzzle brake. If shooting at night or low light are a possibility use a flash hider. Do not use a muzzle brake/flash hider combo Because they do not do either very well.

Because most uppers are now 7 twist you might have to build your own or have it built. I would suggest a 12" m-lok free float hand guard. That will give you plenty of room for customization. 

For the lower just but a complete lower from a place like PSA. Triggers are easy to replace if your decide you want to upgrade, the rest should work well or is easily replaced.

I am building my PERFECT AR for exactly the same reason you are. It is an 8 twist, 18" SS fluted, lightweight barrel from Green Mountain with a rifle length has system. It uses a CLAMP on adjustable has block that will let me tune it for a suppressor. It uses a 16.5" slim free float rail, ambi charging handle with a lightweight BCG from Brownells. It will use a 6" silencer instead of a flash hider. It has a forward assist and a dust cover.

The lower will be an Anderson with a carbine buffer tube. I will do my own trigger at 3 pounds. It uses an ambi magazine release, extended bolt release and a Luth AR precision buttstock. Anni safety. Fingered pistol grip. It uses a flatware recoil spring with a buffer system I am building to reduce weight, reduce cycling speed and reduce felt recoil. 

Right now it looks like it will weight 6.5 pounds without an optic. I also have a 5 pound 20" AT that I built a few years ago.

I have not decided on an optic yet but max magnification will be 6x. It will also use a micro red dot.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

I’ve actually moved outside of Memphis up to the Dyersburg area, but I’ve heard good things about Shoot Point Blank and there’s always Classic Arms, though I’d recommend dealing with Greg there. 

• Like 3

I just left Guns and Ammo on Summer and they still have a huge selection on the shelf. I'd suggest taking a look at the ones they have to see if one style strikes your fancy. If you decide to build, I have a pretty detailed step by step instruction sheet. Mine has the post and it doesn't interfere with the scope. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I just left Guns and Ammo on Summer and they still have a huge selection on the shelf. I'd suggest taking a look at the ones they have to see if one style strikes your fancy. If you decide to build, I have a pretty detailed step by step instruction sheet. Mine has the post and it doesn't interfere with the scope. 

I quit shopping there so long ago I forgot they were there, but yeah. They would have the largest selection. 

3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

If I buy one, I only intend to buy one. I'm not looking to start a collection here. And it will be quite an expense for me. So I want to get it right the first time. 

I wish you the best in trying to abide by that statement, LOL.   Unless you have tremendous will power, you'll be selling things to support your new found habit.  :) 

I just got back from Guns & Ammo in Memphis. I know their prices aren't the best, but they do have a big selection. All I can say is :eek:.  Seems like anything I'd be interested in would run at least $1000 or more. I liked the Springfield Saint Edge, but at $1200 I'll have to pass. While I am interested in an AR, I just can't see spending a lot of money on what will basically be an occasional  range toy and safe queen. I may have to rethink this whole thing. :confused:

I'm now leaning more toward a used rifle. If I can start with a good gun that's close to what I want,  I can always modify it to suit me later. I'd also prefer not to spend a lot of money. As such I have relisted the two Savage pistols I was trying to sell as For Trade in the Firearms classifieds. 

PSA

Upper

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch-516446834.html

Lower

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-classic-lower-5165447829.html

Click them together.

Roughly $545 shipped. Then just pay bgc and transfer.

Psa has other options. I just grabbed these as in stock examples. 

• Like 1

You can build a rifle better than anything you might buy for a lot less.

My barrel, which is the most expensive part, was $200, the bolt is $100, upper was $75, hand guard was $50, gas block $50, charging handle $25 and gas tube was $15. That is a little over $500 for a HIGH quality upper.

Couple that with a basic PSA lower and you will be into the gun for under $700 and have a gun that is as good as any $1,000 gun you might buy.

When buying a complete gun you are getting what THEY want to sell and often times you spend another $200-$300 to change it to fit YOU. When building it you can build it how you want it and save money.

I can guarantee you have all the tools needed to build an AR and if you need a tool I can send you what you need.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

You can build a rifle better than anything you might buy for a lot less.

My barrel, which is the most expensive part, was $200, the bolt is $100, upper was $75, hand guard was $50, gas block $50, charging handle $25 and gas tube was $15. That is a little over $500 for a HIGH quality upper.

Couple that with a basic PSA lower and you will be into the gun for under $700 and have a gun that is as good as any $1,000 gun you might buy.

When buying a complete gun you are getting what THEY want to sell and often times you spend another $200-$300 to change it to fit YOU. When building it you can build it how you want it and save money.

I can guarantee you have all the tools needed to build an AR and if you need a tool I can send you what you need.

Plus the 11% excise tax on a complete rifle. 

I am a competent hobbyist gunsmith. In the past I have built or repaired quite a few guns. I have no doubt that I could build an AR. The thing is, I'm just not interested in doing that. You need to understand that my sole interest in getting an AR is just so I can say I have one and piss off the antis. Oh sure, I will shoot it some and hopefully enjoy it. But most of the time it'll just sit in the safe. There's no way it would be my "go to" rifle if the SHTF scenario were to somehow happen. Although I might hand it off to someone else. This thing will be a TOY period. Therefore, I want a decent rifle, but I have no real interest in spending much time or money on it. At most, I might make a few inexpensive mods to my taste. But nothing fancy. 

I do realize that most of you here love the AR. You spend a great deal of time and money building your own and searching for the perfect rifle. I'm cool with that. But, that just ain't me. 

Just look here:

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/forum/39-firearms-classifieds/

Like this one in 300Blk (a quick barrel change if you want)

If not that one, I'm sure someone has something that would strike your fancy.  ARs are fun to shoot, I am sure you will like the reduced recoil while out plinking in what ever caliber you want, then if the bug bites you, you can assemble your adult legos any way you want

If you want a pre built gun and cheap. Looks like the Collierville Academy might still have DPMS Sporticals in stock for $479. I posted a rebate where you get 4 mags and a cleaning kit. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/dpms-sportical-rifle#repChildCatid=1562503

Most guys would go with the PSA for the money difference though. The upper and lower I posted only  requires you popping 2 pins in my hand to "build". You can be shooting in 5 minutes if it takes you 4 to load the mag....

• Like 1