School me on AR-15s UPDATE: I got one!

Xsubsailor said: 

You do know, of course, that ARs are asexual don't you? They reproduce on their own. :whistle:

Well, I only intend to have this one. But, I never thought I'd have this one either.  I've learned to never say never. We'll just have to see. :rolleyes:

On 3/14/2018 at 12:10 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Just a couple of months ago I would have told anybody that I'll never own an AR-15. Good Lord! What have I done? :wall:

Buying an AR is the gun owning equivalent to hitting puberty in biological development.  Welcome to the next phase of your life. :P

On 3/14/2018 at 12:35 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

Now you need, red dot, lots of mags, lots of ammo, trigger, fw grip, bi-pod, case, bump stock, etc....:cool:

I know. I've already gotten the "extras" blues.:rolleyes: Mags and ammo on the way. Locally I picked up a set of flip up sights, front sling swivel and a Magpul pistol grip. I have a sling and a case that'll work. For the time being at least, I'm gonna pull the EOTech 512 off another rifle to put on it. I'm not sure if it'll stay as I'm also thinking along the lines of one of those low power (1-4X) tactical type scopes. Maybe next month when my finances recover a bit. This is getting expensive! :wall:  But I knew that from the start. New rifle & new caliber always means lots of money. :grouchy:

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

Buying an AR is the gun owning equivalent to hitting puberty in biological development. 

Well, I'm living proof that ya can't prevent getting older, but I've never grown up. :devil:

3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I know. I've already gotten the "extras" blues.:rolleyes: Mags and ammo on the way. Locally I picked up a set of flip up sights, front sling swivel and a Magpul pistol grip. I have a sling and a case that'll work. For the time being at least, I'm gonna pull the EOTech 512 off another rifle to put on it. I'm not sure if it'll stay as I'm also thinking along the lines of one of those low power (1-4X) tactical type scopes. Maybe next month when my finances recover a bit. This is getting expensive! :wall:  But I knew that from the start. New rifle & new caliber always means lots of money. :grouchy:

Well, I'm living proof that ya can't prevent getting older, but I've never grown up. :devil:

Better be careful, that spare grip could lead to another AR. I know I have built an AR just so I don't waste a $25 grip. 

One of the best 1-4 scopes I have used is the Bushnell 1-4 AR series scope. PSA puts them on sale from time to time for $150 and at that price they are a pretty good deal.

Get this one:

http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

It is a FFP scope so the BDC works at all magnifications. It is also MIL adjustments which I prefer for ARs.

• Like 1

I actually been looking quite hard at that scope. My question is if the reticle is still visible if the battery goes dead? I not real fond of being dependent on batteries even though I do have a couple of EOTechs. :rolleyes:

I need to build my pocket money back up anyway. There's a gun show next month and every time there's this one guy who has about 10 tables of optics in all descriptions. I may just wait to see what he has. 

45 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I actually been looking quite hard at that scope. My question is if the reticle is still visible if the battery goes dead? I not real fond of being dependent on batteries even though I do have a couple of EOTechs. :rolleyes:

I need to build my pocket money back up anyway. There's a gun show next month and every time there's this one guy who has about 10 tables of optics in all descriptions. I may just wait to see what he has. 

KISS it.... buy a magnifier for your eotech

10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Yes, the reticle is just a normal, black reticle without the battery.

Dolomite : Thanks for the info. I think I'm pretty much sold on this scope and will likely end up buying one. :up:

Dave: You make a good point. I gotta admit that the carbine with the EOTech is a lot of fun. But I don't need that much magnification. The AR will be set up for close to medium range. If I need to really reach out, well that's what the M1As are for. ;)

8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Dolomite : Thanks for the info. I think I'm pretty much sold on this scope and will likely end up buying one. :up:

FYI, Bushnell has a promotion going on this month refunding 30% of the purchase price of most optics.  There are some exclusions but the AR Optics line appears to be covered.

http://www.bushnell.com/Bushnell/files/db/db185a2e-cbde-4014-a09b-f6fdf8773997.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad you found a rifle that youre happy with. It really is a good feeling in a field with so many possible choices.

With regard to a sight...I suggest you consider a red dot versus a scope for your final placement. Since you are setting your rifle up for close to medium engagement, you'd be able to use a red dot with both eyes open, which is a an advantage in some scenarios and really, it's just easier to shoot...at least in my opinion.

Can open, worms everywhere! :eek:

So far I've had it to the range twice. I've put 150 rounds through it. First time was just to zero the iron sights and make sure it worked properly. The second time was to zero the scope. Just my luck, the battery in the brand new scope died after about 15 minutes. :mad: But I did get it pretty well zeroed with just the plain black rectile. I have since replaced the battery and put two spares in the pistol grip compartment. ;)

Unfortunately, my truck died and everything is on hold until I get that resolved. No shootin' for me for a while. :(

• Sad 1
On 3/14/2018 at 12:10 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Well, I did it. :rolleyes: 
Ordered this this morning. S&W MP-15 Optics Ready M-Lok Should be here in a few days.
GrabAGun had it for $539 and I just couldn't pass it up at that price. I found a couple in town, but they had the standard round handguard and were priced at $650 and up. :eek:
Now I'll have to spend at least that much or more on spare mags, optics, ammo and whatever else. :rolleyes:
Thanks to everyone for your guidance and input.
Just a couple of months ago I would have told anybody that I'll never own an AR-15. Good Lord! What have I done? :wall:

Found it! LOL. That is a great price! The S&W M&P15 I had was $575. I ended up selling it to pay bills. Then built Aero Precisions later. Spent about $200 - $300 more than on the S&W, but I think it was worth it. Especially since I waited for sales and used Veteran's Discounts (came in $600 under MSRP).