School me on AR-15s UPDATE: I got one!

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I think I'll stick with the 5.56. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. 

I did consider the Deltonics AR in Nashville, but that would be a 7 hour round trip drive. Just not that interested. 

It costs $27 to ship a long gun from one of the state to the other. It can be shipped through the post office. No need to go through an FFL either.

2 hours ago, Omega said:

That is a damn good price on that gun. And for as little as you are probably going to shoot it the cost to shoot it won't be bad either. It isn't as plentiful or as cheap as 5.56 but 300 Blackout is a better caliber caliber than 5.56 for what you have planned.

And if you reload I will make you a ton of brass to get you started if you want.

Everyone should at least own one AR. A DPMS would work for what your plans are and they can be had for under $500.

If you need ANY help I am here to help. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve actually moved outside of Memphis up to the Dyersburg area, but I’ve heard good things about Shoot Point Blank and there’s always Classic Arms, though I’d recommend dealing with Greg there. 

We have a Shoot Point Blank in Louisville, the daughter and I are there nearly every weekend, the staff gets huge kick out of watching other customers that don't know us. They all think it is cute to see  a little girl with her father. Then she rocks her sparkly eyes and ears, loads mag, slams it home, works the action on her M&P22 and shoots smaller groups than the muscled tactibro in the next lane. We can't go to the range without positive comments from other customers.

• Like 4

"School me on Ar's" - easy.

AR's are the scary black rifles which indiscriminately kill kids and kittens, also unicorns.  You don't want to be anywhere near one of those things, they can go off in full-auto mode at any time.  No one needs an AR to deer hunt, which should be banned anyway as killing Bambi is cruel, and unnecessary, try vegan instead.  Since any sane person seeking common sense gun laws will agree, the evil black rifles like AR's should be melted down and turned into recyclable container collectors, why not try one of the "good guns", which are ok to own (but not of course to actually shoot) like shotguns (highly recommended by Uncle Joe), revolvers (John Wayne used those), bolt rifles like Mosins (these aren't dangerous at all and leave you with a warm, fuzzy feeling for all the benighted proles and peasants left penniless by the ravages of capitalism), airsoft guns, and of course the recommended defensive weapons of choice, whistles and water pistols ...

Edited by No_0ne

I’ve never owned a Ruger AR but I’ve heard this is one of the better deals for around $600. Comes with an 18 inch cold hammer forged 1:8” twist barrel, 15 inch free float MLOK handguard, rifle length gas system, Ruger Elite 2 stage trigger, magpul funiture and decent looking muzzle brake. Weighs 6.8lbs.

What do you think? @Dolomite_supafly

Seems like a bargain to me. Search online and you can find it for around $600

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

5 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I handled one yesterday at a local shop, those Ruger ARs are VERY nice for the money. 

They really are, even if the FSB is a little goofy looking.  If I was looking for a first it would probably be the Ruger.

1 hour ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I handled one yesterday at a local shop, those Ruger ARs are VERY nice for the money. 

I compared the Ruger and the Smith. I think the Ruger has nicer fit and finish.

At the time, I wasn't willing to pay $100 extra $499 vs. $599. Since then, have seen the Ruger for around $500.

Well, I did it. :rolleyes: 
Ordered this this morning. S&W MP-15 Optics Ready M-Lok Should be here in a few days.
GrabAGun had it for $539 and I just couldn't pass it up at that price. I found a couple in town, but they had the standard round handguard and were priced at $650 and up. :eek:
Now I'll have to spend at least that much or more on spare mags, optics, ammo and whatever else. :rolleyes:
Thanks to everyone for your guidance and input.
Just a couple of months ago I would have told anybody that I'll never own an AR-15. Good Lord! What have I done? :wall:

• Like 7
  • Administrator
On 3/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

Ruger isn't owned by a conglomerate set on destroying the gun industry either.

Are you saying that American Outdoor Brands, parent company of Smith & Wesson, formerly Smith & Wesson Holdings, is bent on destroying the gun industry?