Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs gun bill following Parkland massacre, in break with NRA allies

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/09/florida-gov-rick-scott-signs-gun-bill-following-parkland-massacre-in-break-with-nra-allies.html

Published March 09, 2018

Florida Gov. Rick Scott on Friday publicly broke with his longtime allies at the National Rifle Association to sign new gun regulations into law.

The move comes three weeks after a grisly school shooting that claimed the lives of 17 people.

Scott, a Republican who has received high praise from the NRA in the past, said he was signing the legislation because it’s a “time for all of us to come together, roll up our sleeves and get it done.”

The law raises the minimum purchasing age for buying a rifle from 18 to 21, invokes a three-day waiting period on purchases and enables school employees and many teachers to be armed.

It also allows law enforcement to temporarily seize guns from the mentally ill and fund measures like bulletproof glass and metal detectors at schools.

In a bid to appease Scott, who voiced opposition to arming teachers, the State Senate later amended the bill to no longer include arming most teachers in a “guardian” program, but instead would train up to 10 school personnel to carry weapons in every school.

Student activists from the school where the shootings took place have closely followed the bill’s progress.

Though they called it “a baby step,” many agree that Scott signing the bill into law sends a strong message to the NRA.

Scott started to distance himself from the NRA following last month's massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School – even creating a $500 million proposal to place an armed officer in every school.

As for the NRA, the organization opposes raising the age limit as well as imposing new waiting periods, with NRA and Unified Sportsmen of Florida lobbyist Marion Hammer on Thursday calling the Legislature's bill "a display of bullying and coercion" that would punishes law-abiding citizens and infringe on Second Amendment rights.

President Trump congratulated Florida on its legislation, saying state lawmakers "passed a lot of very good legislation last night."

• Like 1
  • Moderators
23 minutes ago, The Legion said:

President Trump congratulated Florida on its legislation, saying state lawmakers "passed a lot of very good legislation last night."

Hmmm...would ya just look at that. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2

One of the most conservative governors of one of the most conservative states. This does not bode well for us.

Many would say the answer is to vote, but he would have been my guy. The NRA backed him.

I fear we aren't going to like the real answer to the question "What can we do?"  before long.

• Like 3

Can anyone here say they didn't see this coming if a few more crazies used AR's to shoot up a few more GUN FREE ZONES?  I didn't notice any actions taken on the GUN FREE ZONES so they have evidently decided to keep the Killing fields intact till further notice. As far as the 3 day waiting period to purchase a gun only means it will wind up being 5 to 7 days or longer because it will get swamped and begin taking longer each time. I really don't see what the age change from 18 to 21 changing anything. Out of the 156 mass shootings between 2009 and 2016 only 2 shooters was under 21 and only one of the guns was bought legally and the other was stolen meaning only one shooting was done with a legal firearm meaning only one shooting would have been prevented.  Oh well, like I said, was anyone not expected this to happen sooner or later????

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Can anyone here say they didn't see this coming if a few more crazies used AR's to shoot up a few more GUN FREE ZONES?  I didn't notice any actions taken on the GUN FREE ZONES so they have evidently decided to keep the Killing fields intact till further notice. As far as the 3 day waiting period to purchase a gun only means it will wind up being 5 to 7 days or longer because it will get swamped and begin taking longer each time. I really don't see what the age change from 18 to 21 changing anything. Out of the 156 mass shootings between 2009 and 2016 only 2 shooters was under 21 and only one of the guns was bought legally and the other was stolen meaning only one shooting was done with a legal firearm meaning only one shooting would have been prevented.  Oh well, like I said, was anyone not expected this to happen sooner or later????

I can say I wasn't expecting this in Florida.

If it can happen there, it can surely happen here.

6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I hate to tell you but FLA is not some big bastion of conservatives and pro-gun values.  Hell, it’s not even the South except for them rednecks up in the panhandle.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

We have elections coming up in Aug. Careful where you click. Time to dig deeper into voting records than ever before. Can't afford to make a mistake.

I am going to go ahead and coin the term “Ugly August” now before it all starts.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

“Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

No one elected can be trusted. 

From Red October, "I'm a politician, when I'm kissing your baby, I'm stealing the candy out of its mouth."

Unfortunately I believe you're correct.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

A lot of people bash the NRA, but they have already filed suit.  They have a better chance than anyone to actually see it through.

That's true, they do, but without the NRA, we'd be in a world of hurt. Who else has the money to file lawsuits of this magnitude.

I don't always agree with everything they do, heck, I don't always agree with anybody.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

Hypocrisy of the left. 

Use kids to talk about guns for emotional impact and claim they have a say in politics but don't trust them to own the firearms they speak of? I guess maturity and development don't count other than words the left uses them for.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

If you stop and think about what the populaton of Florida is made up of you would come closer to understanding why he signed the law. 40% of the population is hispanic, 50% is old people that retired from one of the Yankee states with lousey gun laws and 10% is Red Necks up in the panhandle. Florida is one of those states you cannot expect to be the same twice on anything........JMHO  

• Like 2

Scott is gonna run for the senate to take Bill Nelsons seat. He's an extreme lefty so this is for the votes. Plus Scott doesn't want armed teachers. 

But for the life is me, I cannot understand why they aren't raising the voting age as well......

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Scott is gonna run for the senate to take Bill Nelsons seat. He's an extreme lefty so this is for the votes. Plus Scott doesn't want armed teachers. 

But for the life is me, I cannot understand why they aren't raising the voting age as well......

He can run but can he win???? His popularity just took a hell of a hit!!! He just signed a bill into law that did not make him the most popular guy in town and if the NRA suit is successful he will be even less popular. The law will do nothing to prevent what just happened in Florida!! The left will be dropping a ton of money in Florida this up coming election. People in Florida are seeing him for what he really is as his true colors are shinning like NEON LIGHTS!!..............JMHO

Florida is on the verge of being blue, no doubt about it. I wound up living there for 12 years and it steadily changed for the worse. Cost of living, taxes and fees and what not all followed suit of the northern states. They've had an explosion in population and I would guess the majority of those coming in from places that were worse don't mind the incremental increases. 

I think what he signed is ridiculous and the fact he didn't address the shortcomings of the school district or the sheriffs department and the FBIs tells me he is going full on rino. 

You can make all the laws you want, but if you don't address the cause, you'll never fix the problem. 

Can he win? We shall see. Either way, the state lost!

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 3