Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs gun bill following Parkland massacre, in break with NRA allies

4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

If you stop and think about what the populaton of Florida is made up of you would come closer to understanding why he signed the law. 40% of the population is hispanic, 50% is old people that retired from one of the Yankee states with lousey gun laws and 10% is Red Necks up in the panhandle. Florida is one of those states you cannot expect to be the same twice on anything........JMHO  

Right, but unless I'm mistaken, Florida's House, Senate, and Governor are all majority Republican. It isn't like California.

Rick Scott was a businessman prior to being elected Governor. Much like Trump. I thought outsiders are what we are after. Hell, the last few months, Democrats are looking more like the friend of the gun owner than Republicans.

28 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Right, but unless I'm mistaken, Florida's House, Senate, and Governor are all majority Republican. It isn't like California.

Florida a prime example of successful Republican gerrymandering over the last 20 years. That has been somewhat reformed in the last couple.

Remember, overall Florida went with BHO. Twice. And Nelson has been elected three times.

- OS

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Florida a prime example of successful Republican gerrymandering over the last 20 years. That has been somewhat reformed in the last couple.

Remember, overall Florida went with BHO. Twice. And Nelson has been elected three times.

- OS

Don't forget we keep electing two senators who don't really hold to conservative principles. At least one is gone after this term! Most Republicans tout principles to get elected but don't even remotely vote them when the time comes so this is not really surprising.

• Like 2
On 3/9/2018 at 7:54 PM, Garufa said:

I hate to tell you but FLA is not some big bastion of conservatives and pro-gun values.  Hell, it’s not even the South except for them rednecks up in the panhandle.

Garufa speaks a great truth here... Don't draw any conclusions from what a bunch of 50/50 yankee/hoodlum demorat yahoos in florida do... Rick Scott has no core values, he is a damned politician positioning himself for a senate run... He is the Lamar Alexander of Florida right now... He cares about nothing other than building a constituency to become a senator... It will be interestin to watch how this plays out...

Watchin leroy...

• Like 1
  • Moderators
I have been assured for years that we must vote Republican so they protect the 2A. It will be interesting to see if Congress falls in line with Trump. 

5aa52a1737b65_Capture_2018-03-11-08-58-48.thumb.png.7d1c2fe9c1abc92ab6f5401d8424102f.png
So if I'm reading this chart correctly more Democrats voted no than Republicans. That's the reason I am not for the party but the person. Actions will always speak louder than words.
  • Like 1
On 3/11/2018 at 9:13 AM, TripleGGG said:

So if I'm reading this chart correctly more Democrats voted no than Republicans. That's the reason I am not for the party but the person. Actions will always speak louder than words.

+1

Those numbers are exact opposite of what I would have expected. Very surprising. 

• Admin Team

Have no doubt, Rick Scott is a bellwether.  He’s an A+ rated Republican who essentially just flipped the NRA the bird.  

Others are watching.  

If he doesn’t pay a political price, plenty more will line up to follow him.

It’s interesting to watch an organization built in opposition - which it’s extremely effective at - show vulnerability from the inside. 

I wouldn’t write them off, yet.  They’re undoubtedly reminding Republicans of the consequences of crossing them - and I’m sure they’ll primary a few to serve as warnings to others.    

• Like 3
On 3/9/2018 at 6:47 PM, Oh Shoot said:

Why have they never filed one in all the years since handgun sales became limited to 21 year olds?

- OS

Because this lawsuit isn't really about the age to buy firearms, that's just the pretext to get it into the courts where a fight can still be waged. 

This is really about the NRA trying to check a politician they thought they had in pocket at a moment where they can't afford to be seen as weak.  All the NRA has is their clout, and if the Republican Governor and legislature can get away with ignoring their edicts, their wasta is at a huge risk in every other swing state.

Edited by btq96r
28 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Because this lawsuit isn't really about the age to buy firearms, that's just the pretext to get it into the courts where a fight can still be waged. 

This is really about the NRA trying to check a politician they thought they had in pocket at a moment where they can't afford to be seen as weak.  All the NRA has is their clout, and if the Republican Governor and legislature can get away with ignoring their edicts, their wasta is at a huge risk in every other swing state.

Why not just say clout??

Wasta or wasata (Arabic: وَاسِطة wāsiṭah) is an Arabic word that loosely translates into nepotism, 'clout' or 'who you know'.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, btq96r said:

All the NRA has is their clout, and if the Republican Governor and legislature can get away with ignoring their edicts, their wasta is at a huge risk in every other swing state.

What exactly can they do to Scott? 2018 is his last year as Governor. 

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not clear what they can do to him. I've seen it mentioned a few times now. 

Edited by Erik88
16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

What exactly can they do to Scott? 2018 is his last year as Governor. 

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not clear what they can do to him. I've seen it mentioned a few times now. 

I believe he wants to go to DC, so getting a low NRA rating may go against him.  I know if I was a Florida Gun Owner I would not send him to DC to do more damage.

16 minutes ago, Omega said:

I would go 3rd party if he won the Primary, but I would definitely work to make sure he didn't get the Primary.

Fair enough. I think when push comes to shove most people are going to forget about this issue and vote for the party they are aligned with. Our memories tend to be pretty short. If it comes down to Scott vs someone "worse" then I don't see this law hurting him. 

Just now, Erik88 said:

Fair enough. I think when push comes to shove most people are going to forget about this issue and vote for the party they are aligned with. Our memories tend to be pretty short. If it comes down to Scott vs someone "worse" then I don't see this law hurting him. 

I don't know, this past election showed many remembered.  The center/right has started to become more aware of what the vote means and I think they will not forget as easily as all that.   Sometimes you have to vote for the lesser evil, but that is why Primaries are where you need to fight the fight.

3 minutes ago, Omega said:

I don't know, this past election showed many remembered.  The center/right has started to become more aware of what the vote means and I think they will not forget as easily as all that.   Sometimes you have to vote for the lesser evil, but that is why Primaries are where you need to fight the fight.

Many rememberd that Trump was a lifelong NY liberal who was once in favor of an assault weapon ban?

I didn't want to say that in my last comment but that was really my point. When it came down to it, gun owners would rather vote for someone pretending to be on their side than vote for someone who they KNEW wasn't on their side. Those of us that did what you mentioned and voted 3rd party were treated like the village idiot. If Scott actually runs for a spot in Washington he will have plenty of gun owners lining up to support him as long as the alternative is perceived to be worse. 

• Like 4
  • Admin Team
25 minutes ago, Omega said:

...that is why Primaries are where you need to fight the fight.

There's truth in this.

Regardless of whether you loved or hated your choices in the last general election - you had those choices because 9% of the population showed up during the primaries to put them there.

• Like 4
  • Moderators
Many rememberd that Trump was a lifelong NY liberal who was once in favor of an assault weapon ban?
I didn't want to say that in my last comment but that was really my point. When it came down to it, gun owners would rather vote for someone pretending to be on their side than vote for someone who they KNEW wasn't on their side. Those of us that did what you mentioned and voted 3rd party were treated like the village idiot. If Scott actually runs for a spot in Washington he will have plenty of gun owners lining up to support him as long as the alternative is perceived to be worse. 
Totally agree. And until someone truly busts the 2 party establishment things will not change.
On 3/10/2018 at 6:55 AM, Hozzie said:

A lot of people bash the NRA, but they have already filed suit.  They have a better chance than anyone to actually see it through.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/09/nra-files-lawsuit-saying-florida-gun-bill-approved-by-gov-scott-violates-2nd-amendment.html

Well. It ain't gonna be GOA, or any of the other opinions with 10 followers. The NRA made a mistake when they gave on bump stocks after Vegas. I understand that one, but think it's a mistake. But, the purest of intentions don't mean #### in the hands of somebody with no power. The NRA swings a big bat. So does Trump. The difference between the two is that Trump was born without a sphincter muscle. When it gets there, it just falls out. He is backing away from some of that "good legislation" now. I don't care what he says, so much. I care what he actually does.

• Like 2
On 3/10/2018 at 9:55 PM, Hozzie said:

A lot of people bash the NRA, but they have already filed suit.  They have a better chance than anyone to actually see it through.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/09/nra-files-lawsuit-saying-florida-gun-bill-approved-by-gov-scott-violates-2nd-amendment.html

Filing a law suit did cost the NRA may be something like $100 in filing fees. Following through will be way more expensive. Given the NRA's history in failing to follow through, I don't have any hopes that they will follow though on this one.

As a Tennessean you are surely aware of the NRA's law suit against the City of Knoxville's violation of the Guns In Parks law, right? The NRA caved and settled on that one. A year later, the Guns In Parks law was rewritten, likely with the NRA's help.

18 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Well. It ain't gonna be GOA, or any of the other opinions with 10 followers. The NRA made a mistake when they gave on bump stocks after Vegas. I understand that one, but think it's a mistake. But, the purest of intentions don't mean #### in the hands of somebody with no power. The NRA swings a big bat. So does Trump. The difference between the two is that Trump was born without a sphincter muscle. When it gets there, it just falls out. He is backing away from some of that "good legislation" now. I don't care what he says, so much. I care what he actually does.

We are about to get hit over the head with both bats: TTAG | White House Statement: President Donald J. Trump is Taking Immediate Actions to Secure Our Schools. Watch what happens under the STOP School Violence Act, possibly already today.

45 minutes ago, scooter said:

We are about to get hit over the head with both bats: TTAG | White House Statement: President Donald J. Trump is Taking Immediate Actions to Secure Our Schools. Watch what happens under the STOP School Violence Act, possibly already today.

Yep. Sounds like straight up NRA to me. What kinda gun control do you see in this thing? It's getting past me.