Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs gun bill following Parkland massacre, in break with NRA allies

The only issues I see are the raising the age limit, which I'd support if it all when to 21, not just guns, the Restraining Order area, that must include a much stronger Legal involvement, Background Check, same much more legal involvement.

When someone takes out an Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO), there must be a way to have the accused be able to defend against it.  Too much leeway for someone with a grudge to file for one.  And it should not be permanent loss unless the court deems it so, many who have guns confiscated never get them back, the owner should be given a chance to sell them if he loses his rights to have them, not LEO.

Background Checks, I would like for the court (due process) to be involved when someone is placed on the "do not buy" list.  Again too much risk of losing your rights arbitrarily from a simple paperwork/judgement error.  There must always be a way to correct errors, quickly and as inexpensively as possible.  You should not have to pay to correct an error, the people that made the error should have to pay.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Yep. Sounds like straight up NRA to me. What kinda gun control do you see in this thing? It's getting past me.

FixNICS and its monetary incentives for agencies to add people to the prohibited persons list, and federal funding for state-level Extreme Risk Protection Orders and their inherent violation of due process, for starters. That's only what the President has already said he agrees with. The STOP School Violence Act is likely to be come a Christmas tree for gun control legislation that Republicans are willing to pass.

3 minutes ago, scooter said:

FixNICS and its monetary incentives for agencies to add people to the prohibited persons list, and federal funding for state-level Extreme Risk Protection Orders and their inherent violation of due process, for starters. That's only what the President has already said he agrees with. The STOP School Violence Act is likely to be come a Christmas tree for gun control legislation that Republicans are willing to pass.

Not the way I read it; the monetary portion is to have states report those that are ineligible to the NICS system, not add new classes of prohibited persons, that is still a possibility but not until HIPPA and FERPA, ERPO get modified (a whole other fight).

If those that were supposed to do something would have, many of these events would not of happened, the LEOs could have arrested that kid for multiple felonies but didn't.

23 minutes ago, Omega said:

Not the way I read it; the monetary portion is to have states report those that are ineligible to the NICS system, not add new classes of prohibited persons, that is still a possibility but not until HIPPA and FERPA, ERPO get modified (a whole other fight).

If those that were supposed to do something would have, many of these events would not of happened, the LEOs could have arrested that kid for multiple felonies but didn't.

If we gotta have NICS, they might as well make it work as intended. Of course, none of these law making ####heads recognize that the black market always picks up where prohibition stops. ALL they can hope to do is drive up the price of illegal guns. 

Edited by mikegideon
misspelled ####heads
24 minutes ago, Omega said:

The monetary incentives for agencies to add people to the prohibited persons list will lead to over-reporting. You may want to read up on how a bench warrant for an unpaid traffic ticket lands you on the prohibited persons list already today. This typically happens when someone thinks they have resolved the ticket and then moves out of state. The White House is calling for a review of HIPPA and FERPA, so that whole other fight is closer than you think.

36 minutes ago, scooter said:

Violation of due process will get thrown out eventually. You would think they know that down in the swamp.

2 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Violation of due process will get thrown out eventually. You would think they know that down in the swamp.

You mean like the Extreme Risk Protection Orders that are already on the books in CA, OR and WA? Who is throwing them out exactly?

5 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

That's just the thing... they want due process tossed out too. Mostly because they've never had something valuable to them taken without due process, and spent years and $$$ fighting to get it back. 

1 minute ago, peejman said:

That's just the thing... they want due process tossed out too. Mostly because they've never had something valuable to them taken without due process, and spent years and $$$ fighting to get it back. 

They want the second amendment GONE. What a shock it's gonna be if they ever get the votes for that. Of course, by the time they do, the average man will have less testosterone than Rachel Maddow. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, Erik88 said:

When it came down to it, gun owners would rather vote for someone pretending to be on their side than vote for someone who they KNEW wasn't on their side. If Scott actually runs for a spot in Washington he will have plenty of gun owners lining up to support him as long as the alternative is perceived to be worse. 

Well, Skeletor has formally announced he is running for Senate. Will gun owners really line up to vote for Bill Nelson instead? 

This will be an interesting race to watch. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/09/politics/rick-scott-bill-nelson-florida/index.html

I wish with all my heart that the NRA wouldn't make an endorsement in the FL senate campaign this year, or  -- even better -- endorse the Libertarian.  It would send the strongest possible message to Scott and other Republicans who pretend to care about the RKBA but are eager to sell us out at the first possible opportunity.

Annoyed,

Whisper

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

It is because of these two-faced, double-crossing RINOs that I left the Republican party and became a Libertarian.   I've always said that it is sad that we are the slaves of two different parties that both desire to control our lives, minimize our freedoms and manipulate us via their political discourse.   Don't get me wrong, I know that over 90% of Democrats want to remove my 2nd Amendment rights altogether.  However, there are plenty of Republicans who pretend to support our gun rights and have the same exact intentions.  However, there are a few exceptions, like guys like Conor Lamb, the pro-gun veteran Blue-Dog Democrat who won the US Representative race in Pennsylvania.  If I was forced to chose between a guy like Rick Snott and Conor Lamb, it would be a pretty obvious choice, as gun rights take precedence to me over fiscal issues; even though both are important issues for me.

As well, many people have a short memory when it comes to some of the old Republican heroes, like Reagan and Bush who were some of the biggest supporters and even made a lot of effort to ban "Assault Weapons" and helped push for a lot of gun control legislation.   In fact, Republicans throughout history have been very anti-gun and were great contributors to gun control effort.   The whole Pro-Gun Republican party deal is actually a newer phenomenon and people like Governor Rick Snott are just behaving the way Republicans did before the year 2000, when many were staunchly anti-gun.

It just amazes me how people will praise ROnald Reagan on a gun forum and forget that this guy was as anti-gun as Obama or any of the Democrats we so loathe today.  In fact, I would say that these Republican anti-gun politicians were much more effective at pushing gun control legislation than their Democrat counterparts.  It's much easier for a wolf to kill the sheep if he is dressed up like a sheep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/03/02/before-trump-defied-the-nra-ronald-reagan-took-on-the-gun-lobby/?utm_term=.94e345c34ab7

Edited by 4Freedom