compressed powder loads

What do you guys do to settle a load of powder? When I use stick powder like Varget in a bottleneck cartridge " 308" that there are times when, even though  I am using a long tube on my powder funnel and all the same brand of case I don't have enough room for all the powder. I'd have to check, but I think I drop 37 gr. of varget out of the powder measure into the case. After tapping the case on the bench top a dozen of so time  almost the whole inside if the neck is showing. This is a butt pain,  it breaks my concentration, and it slows me down. What do you guys do in a case like this?

Edited by CZ9MM
Simply edited title for typo.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

If you have a powder scale, make sure it's accurate, & use it to check what the powder measure is throwing. 

Bottom line, this doesn't sound right on a lot of levels.

I have a RCBS Chargemaster. All my rifle charges are measured. When I use powders like 4895 It's worse. It has a longer tube to it.

12 hours ago, Sunfish said:

I turn on my vibratory tumbler with the lid on and hold my finger over the mouth and rest it on there lightly so it can bounce a little and it only takes a couple seconds to shake it down.

That's a good idea. I'm going to try it.

• 5 weeks later...

Act like it’s BP and use a 24-30 inch drop tube. Let gravity slam it down. Don’t vibrate it. Your changing  he speed of the propellant due to fines being formed. Aluminum tubing of appropriate diameter with a flare at end. You’ll need to build a gizmo to hold the tube while dispensing. 

Google “BP drop tube” and you’ll get the idea. 

• 4 weeks later...

Get a hand press. Start the bullet with your bench press than put the case in the hand press. Turn the hand press upside down and seat the bullet. This is assuming the powder is below the neck and somewhere in the shoulder.