How have I overlooked the CZ?

Howler

I was given the opportunity to shoot a Shadow 1 last weekend and wow what a shooter. The trigger was great and it's heavy frame helped me clear a plate rack faster than I ever have. The Shadow 2 peeks my interest but it isn't legal in IDPA matches. Now I find myself searching for CZs online. Not for sure I'd carry one simply because of the weight, but I'd snatch one up for competitions without hesitation. 

That same question is asked by most after their first time shooting one.  CZ's are simply fantastic handguns.  I think many overlook them because most dealers do not carry much of a selection.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Howler said:

I was given the opportunity to shoot a Shadow 1 last weekend and wow what a shooter. The trigger was great and it's heavy frame helped me clear a plate rack faster than I ever have. The Shadow 2 peeks my interest but it isn't legal in IDPA matches. Now I find myself searching for CZs online. Not for sure I'd carry one simply because of the weight, but I'd snatch one up for competitions without hesitation. 

How is it not legal for IDPA?

10 minutes ago, peejman said:

How is it not legal for IDPA?

I think the Shadow 2 is too heavy.  It is over the 43 oz weight limit.  At least that's what the interwebz tells me.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I think the Shadow 2 is too heavy.  It is over the 43 oz weight limit.  At least that's what the interwebz tells me.

Interesting. I thought the weight limit only applied to modified guns. IPDA has way too many rules. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the weight is over the limit for IDPA.

I looked at the tactical model at bud's and the trigger felt like it was less than 2lbs. That might be a little light for my liking. I'd like to put the Shadow2 in my hand just to get a feel. 

2 hours ago, Raoul said:

I've had CZ shotguns a .22 rifles for years. Love em. Just recently picked up a 75c. Great little handgun. And a buddy of mine got the aforementioned Canick. It's a nice CZ clone.

Yes, the Canik is an awesome pistol. I bought one about 2 years ago when I saw an ad and the price was under 300. The reviews on it were pretty good, so I bit on it. Never regretted it. I now have 3 of them and a slew of mags for them. I just love that you can use the Canik mags and the CZ mags in them. Load them all up and shoot for half a day.

And get a couple of the 20 round mags. I get tired before I empty the mag these days. lol 

• Like 1

I have owned at least four different Witness models and they are solid guns for the price. My wife picked up a pink Witness compact at Rural King for $279, an amazing price for the gun.

I have a CZ P09 that sits in the safe because there is something I just don't like about it. It is a great gun but it just doesn't get me exited. I bought it as a silencer host but don't even use it for that.

11 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

I was hooked after shooting Garufa's 75 compact.  (Least I think that's what I shot of yours)

Actually it's just a basic, full-size 75 B but I have had my eye on the PCR compact for a while.

I think I'm headed in the opposite direction.  I just sold 2 of my Tanfoglios and 2 CZs, a pre-B 75 and a CZ P-09.

The standard Tanfo/Witness is an OK handgun but were hampered by a mediocre trigger and sights.  On the older ones that were more of a direct CZ 75 clone, you could easily improve the trigger by swapping in a lighter mainspring, but the last one I bought had a shorter mainspring which was a bit tricker to deal with.  Two of my rear sights had pretty good dings on them from the previous owners, and I never had any luck finding a replacement sight of the right height. 

I liked the P09 better but this one had the suppressor height sights and threaded barrel, neither of which I had a use for.  I already had a standard P09 that I actually prefer over any CZ-75 I've owned.

My pre-B 75 was a mess when I got it.  Apparently it had badly rusted, and the previous owner attacked it with a buffing wheel.   This got rid of the rust (and the rollmarks) but not the pitting, and he'd rounded off the now-shiny front sight.   I milled it off and cut a dovetail so I could install a STI front sight, filed most of the light pitting out, and refinished the gun in Cerakote.   I crowned the barrel and installed a Beretta "D" mainspring, which did wonders for the trigger pull.  It shot dramatically better after that.   

Careful though. CZ's can be very addictive. Might as well make room in your safe now. 

In order of appearance: CZ 75B matte stainless, 2075 RAMI, 75 PCR, Scorpion Evo, vz.58, 805 Bren, and last years Christmas present, the CZ/Huglu Hammer Coach. 

Edited by Obiwan

I am a CZ fanatic. Mt edc is the CZ Rami. I got the P10C a few weeks ago and am searching for an iwb holster for it and will try carrying it.

I agree that the 75's are too big for edc, but they are terrific to shoot. I have a couple of SP-01's and love them. Thought about a Shadow 1 a while ago but nefer got one and actually looked at and held a Shadow 2 yesterday at the local gun shop. But I really want to hold out for a Czechmate.

My off work hours EDC is a 75B.

Build, belt, holster, and attire make it possible for me.

Also have a P-01.

Both have had some internal work, I prefer the 75B; slightly better feel in my hand and like the omega trigger.

Like them both better than my P10C which is a pretty nice gun.

I ordered a steel striker for my P10C from CGW, a trigger from HBI and Talon grips. Should get all of it delivered today. Interested to see if it makes it better. So far not as excited about the P10C as I thought I was going to be.

If I could dress in a way to carry my 75BD, I would. I agree. Feels better in my hand too.

7 hours ago, volbagman said:

I ordered a steel striker for my P10C from CGW, a trigger from HBI and Talon grips. Should get all of it delivered today. Interested to see if it makes it better. So far not as excited about the P10C as I thought I was going to be.

If I could dress in a way to carry my 75BD, I would. I agree. Feels better in my hand too.

My opinion only, compared to a 75 variant, the P10C is ok.

Compared to it's peer group, it's as good or better depending on preference.

Very attractive price point as well

Got all the parts for the P10C. Put in a CGW striker, HB trigger and Talon grips. My opinion after shooting it this weekend with the modifications is that it is about the same as a Glock 19. First CZ I have ever bought that I felt the need to modify. Also, the first one that I haven't absolutely loved. Oh well.

I have a CZ Rami and carried it for about a year. Recently though my back has been hurting. Thought it might be the Rami. Carried it IWB 4 o'clock in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck. So I switched back to an old standby. S&W M&P 340 in a Mika pocket holster. Back feels way better. only 5 shots, but 357 mag. Probably not going to be in a gun fight anyway and I do keep a Glock 19 in my truck as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite pistol family! Started with a SP-01 Tactical that has been fully tricked out with all the Cajun goodies. Currently only have the SP01, P10, and P01 but at one time or another have had a Rami, P07, Shadow 2, 75 compact and a 75 compact with a rail.  Great guns at good prices when compared to their peers. 

• Like 1