Obtaining TN HCP w/ TX LTC

Hi all,

I moved to Clarksville a month and a half ago, and have a current license to carry from Texas. I want to get a Tennessee carry permit, but was hoping someone knowledgeable could clear up the handgun carry class requirements for me.

On this page, it looks like a course is needed regardless of current license status or state issued.

• All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state, will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21) or  is at least eighteen (18) years of age, and is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States Armed Forces or is a member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty status and includes with the application a certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty (DD214) or includes with the application a military identification card as proof that the applicant is on active duty member of the military, take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay the fee, and be fingerprinted.

On this page, it leads me to believe I wouldn’t need to take another course.

All applicants, except those with valid permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas must take a DOS approved handgun safety course. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. 

If anyone could provide some insight, I’d appreciate it. Just trying to save a day in a classroom.

1 hour ago, RED333 said:

You have to take a class, go to a local gun store and ask about getting you permit.

I don’t think this is correct.  So long as his Texas permit is valid, I think he can just apply and pay for his license at the dmv.

• Moderators
I don’t think this is correct.  So long as his Texas permit is valid, I think he can just apply and pay for his license at the dmv.
You have to take the class. I had my carry permit when I moved to TN. That allows you 6 months (may be 3) giving you time to take the class and get your TN permit.
1 minute ago, TripleGGG said:
5 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

You have to take the class. I had my carry permit when I moved to TN. That allows you 6 months (may be 3) giving you time to take the class and get your TN permit.

I would call TDOS.  I think they updated the law.  If you read his link it seems pretty clear.   Not sure how long ago you got yours.  

• Moderators
I would call TDOS.  I think they updated the law.  If you read his link it seems pretty clear.   Not sure how long ago you got yours.  

Hozzie,

I believe you are correct. I missed the Texas part. My bad. I moved from Ga.

As you stated call the TDOS to get the correct answer.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:49 PM, Hozzie said:

I would call TDOS.  I think they updated the law.  ...

Not the law, just changing interpretation of what constitutes "approved training course". Used to accept permits from a bunch of states regarding this, then none, now apparently NM, OK, and TX.

- OS

On 3/12/2018 at 8:56 PM, chances R said:

So Jim what was the answer?  I would highly suggest that anyone new to the state either spend some time reading the laws  of the state or take the HCP course.  Especially true because of some of the differences in TN vs. TX law.

I called Tuesday morning, the guy said I wouldn’t need to take the TN HCP course - just show up with 2 forms of ID and my current TX LTC. I showed up Tuesday afternoon and had no trouble getting my TN carry permit processed. I only needed to set up fingerprinting afterwards.

I agree on getting to know the gun laws of any state you plan to visit / move to. I spent a few evenings a month trying to get familiar with TN gun laws in the months leading up to the move.

Thanks again for y’alls input!

• Like 2